Sega Is Bringing Hatsune Miku: Project MIRAI Remix To Western 3DS Consoles In 2015

Posted by Damien McFerran

Music to our ears

Sega has sold 2.5 million Hatsune Miku games in Japan, and the company has today announced that it is bringing the world-famous Vocaloid franchise to the west in the form of Hatsune Miku: Project MIRAI Remix.

This 3DS title will actually be an enhanced version of the Japanese release Hatsune Miku: Project MIRAI 2, and will launch in the west in 2015. It will make use of the console's autostereoscopic 3D display, touch screen, StreetPass connectivity and AR camera capabilities.

In case you don't know what the fuss is all about, Hatsune Miku is a futuristic voice synthesizer program which allows users to create vocal parts from scratch by just entering a melody and lyrics. Developed in 2007 by Crypton Future Media, the brand has become something of a cultural icon, not just in its native Japan but all over the globe. Sega's video games — which have also appeared on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, PS Vita and iOS — use the character under license, and have become integral to the popularity of the franchise.

Sega has stressed that the game's title isn't final, and there's still a long way to go until it sees release in the west. Are you excited about finally getting to play a Hatsune Miku on your 3DS? Sing out your opinion by posting a comment below.

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

THIS. IS. GREAT!!!
My post on Miiverse was right!
And now I can play with the StreetPass things in my JP and US versions!

3DSfan134

3DSfan134 said:

All right we got some Sega love coming! Maybe another Sega character coming to Smash Bros?

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

I didn't think they do it but they've done it. Hatsane Miku is going westside on a nintendo system.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Love it!
Now all Sega needs to do is STOP MAKING SONIC GAMES FOR AT LEAST 5 YEARS and bring over the recent Phantasy Star games and they won't be considered crap anymore.

lamco

lamco said:

I somehow prefer the chibi style... However, i've always wanted to play one of these games so hopefully this will make it's way to the uk.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I got the Vita game after the recent Western release generated a big buzz, and I have to say I didn't really get what all the fuss was about. I'm a big rhythm game fan, and found it quite average.

mobbs886

mobbs886 said:

@3DSfan134 Not happening sega only has the rights to make games using her and the others, Crypton future media owns her so it would be their call.
Though it would be cool to see her in smash though

felix330

felix330 said:

That's awesome. I will get this for sure, though I think I prefer the vita games. The project diva games just have way more interesting and detailed background videos.

Nicolai

Nicolai said:

Wait, maybe I don't quite understand... is this a vocal simulation program like Vocaloid; would I get to create and edit my own songs and lyrics, and try to synthesize her voice? Or is it just a 3DS game that uses Hatsune Miku's likeness? I would be much more interested in the former.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Dang! They couldn't announce this at E3? I put the localization announcement on my bingo card.
Anyways, being the rhythm fan I am and being satisfied with Project Diva, I'll likely buy this. After all, when has Sega released a bad rhythm game?

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@AVahne Why quit? It doesn't hurt anybody. You have the option whether to buy it or not. As for Phantasy Star, you don't...which IS an issue.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Oh, she's a game character? I didn't know that, I thought she was just some anime Otaku-bait who also starred in some games about dancing or something.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@Nicolai it's a rhythm game featuring the indie music produced using the Miku software. Though I think I did hear that the PlayStation 3 game "D.I.V.A. F" had an editing program in it.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@TeeJay Otaku bait? No. She is literally a cover a girl for a version of Vocaloid however her design became so popular that she is now the face of the vocal creation brand. Her popularity primarily comes from the indie music produced with her voice since she is a vocal program.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Okay... you release this internationally, but step back from PuyoPuyoTetris? Do you even WANT profit?

mobbs886

mobbs886 said:

@SamirMalik Your are right the PS3/PSV games does have an editior but it only lets u upload music to it, choose the moves the character does during the video, and position how the notes fly on screen and how fast they come in.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@mobbs886 Well the software is primarily build for PC use. I don't think somebody would want to go out to a game shop and buy a Vocaloid software pack to use on your ps3. That's something that they go to a computer store to buy.

mobbs886

mobbs886 said:

@SamirMalik yea the audio program is for PC. but the editor does not letting u make your own songs, just your own music videos from songs in the game or ones you upload to the ps3/psv. it lets the player make their own stages they can play on their own or upload it to let other play a custom stage.

SamSan37

SamSan37 said:

Yes! This game looks so cute and even though it is not my type of game I want to support it. I've only listened to one of Miku's songs: The world is mine. It's such a good song imo. I look forward to this game.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

I've been an avid J-pop listener for a good decade now, but my exposure to Miku is very limited. I've only seen her in Bump of Chicken's RAY video.

Anyways, its great this game is getting localized.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

IDK. Why not something like the project diva games (or that ps3 game I keep forgetting about)

Never was a fan of chibi style :P

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

SCCCCREEEAAAAMMMMMMSSS

YES YES YES YES. I'm a big Hatsune Miku/Vocaloid fan (was just listening to Freely Tomorrow actually) and this has been my biggest localization wish since Project Diva f made it over here, I CAN DIE HAPPY (but not before I play this game ofc).

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

Heck yes! I'll definetly be picking this up, love Rhythm games and I've been loving Project Diva F! Pretty pumped I might say!

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

I completely forgot about this. Great news! It only took, what, 2 years for the news? But alas, it's not coming out until 2015, so 3 years.

I don't get it to be honest. Niche Japanese games get localized fairly often, like Drakengard and Solatorobo to name a couple, but Vocaloid is actually somewhat popular in North America, so I'm surprised it took them this long to bring it to the 3DS outside of Japan.

SakuraHaruka

SakuraHaruka said:

Oh my, my, my, my, my, my..... * inhaling a lot of air

YEY YEY YEEEEEEEY!!!!!
Finally the Cute Chibi Miku in 3DS will be here in America; Waiting has its rewards, and well, here's one of them, XD

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

This is great as I'm new to hatsune miku & looking forward to playing this on my 3ds in 2015 but still waiting to hear when Kuma Tomo - 3DS get's a western release...

Hatsune Miku - 3DS look's adorable. ;)

Kuma Tomo - 3DS is my biggest wishlist 3ds game though to get localized in english. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

This is amazing news! I love the hatsune miku games and it's great to see that the 3ds version is coming out in america.... and this is perfect timing because I was considering getting the jp version when I decide to get a jp 3ds. Thanks sega for all the miku love and saving me money on importing.

joey302

joey302 said:

Hey SEGA did you forget your roots?? Are we ever gonna see some SEGA classics on the wii u vc????? What's up???

ikki5

ikki5 said:

This will flop in the west if it comes here but Japan will slurp it up like a cup of Ramen... lol

BSFsontails1012

BSFsontails1012 said:

Never tried or heard of this series, but I kind of want to try it! Love the art style. Also, SEGA is awesome!

Iggly

Iggly said:

I love playing rhythm games[Even though I really suck at them], so I'd love to pick this up whenever I can.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Eh, this game, and music, just aren't for me. I'm sure some of my friends will be pretty excited about this, though.

DeltaPeng

DeltaPeng said:

I'll have to see more on gameplay. I like normal style Miku better than chibi at the moment, but the demo video seemed decent enough. Glad that a Nintendo console is getting a vocaloid game though!

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

huh, a vid with no gameplay. but if it's like those games on the psp where you push buttons like daigasso band brothers in a way like the cinema sequences in theatrhythm, then do want

mullen

mullen said:

@Barbiegurl777 I'm a little surprised that someone loves Kuma Tomo in the west, because if other Japanese titles were mentioned in west media somewhat, I think almost nothing for Kuma Tomo. The last video of this game for April Fool is actually very funny.

mullen

mullen said:

@Miss_Dark At least there are already several comments here claimed that they are waiting for this game.
It's may not for you, but you can't say everyone wants the same game as you.

KinakoYunaki

KinakoYunaki said:

So...
I now have chibi persona and chibi miku coming my way...
Am I going to have a bunch of chibi playstation games to my 3ds now?
Lol I wouldn't mind though xD

Miss_Dark

Miss_Dark said:

@mullen yeah that's true but ugh man I grew up with SNES, perfect dark, secret of mana and goldeneye know what I'm saying? I really don't want stuff like this.. this frustrates me. It feels like 50 steps back... but if it sells I guess it's ok, Nintendo can use that...

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@Mullen

Kuma Tomo - 3DS had an april fool's video? I've been searching the internet like crazy trying to find any info on when this game will be getting a western release but have heard nothing so far. Looked for english box art or even a screenshot with english text but so far nothing... a friend told me month's ago on twitter the game would supposedly come out this Oct/2014 but I have found nothing to back up what one of friends told me... I'm a little discouraged... I've tried almost every website asking question's about Kuma Tomo - 3DS but have gotten no where... :'(

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Cool, I think Sega released a game on PS3, I meant to check it out, but I never did. It's nice that Sega is releasing this but where is Yakuza? I want Yakuza 1&2 and 5 so badly.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Seems that Sega releases something that is highly popular in Japan but that Western gamers are not familiar.

When are they releasing Shining Force 4? I played the Japanese versions and they were awesome!

Naoiko

Naoiko said:

Super excited about this! Been wanting to play the Project Mirai games since the first one was announced in Japan...but unlike the Project Diva games I couldn't without a Japanese 3DS. happy dance

PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick said:

The Miku Hatsune series is often brutally difficult, even as difficult rhythm games go. Imagine the Rhythm Heaven series on crack. Don't let the character's cute exteriors fool you, on the inside they are... shall we say... Sadistic Music Factories! (One of the actual song names by cosMo-P! It is like Through the Fire and Flames on crack...!)

The PSP demo is enough to show that even the easiest songs can be egregiously hard and unforgiving at higher difficulties. If this iteration matches that... Only the hardest of the hardcore need apply. Everyone else who is hardcore (or less), beg for mercy. Save your hands from Division -> Destruction.

Here's a taste of your Sadistic doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU2Os-JnISU

Or perhaps you would like to speed along your Disappearance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9EwSySSMhM

PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick said:

@Miss_Dark The last time something close to Secret of Mana came out was it's sequel, Seiken Densetsu 3... it's available on emu. Perfect Dark was the last FPS I was truly interested in and played extensively, all levels on Perfect Agent.

Who even knows how to make games like that anymore? Who would fund such titles? No big company is ever going to approve of SNES style projects anymore. (Except maybe Nintendo, but still a long shot.) Independent development is probably your best bet for retro style titles, as it was for Shovel Knight.

Miss_Dark

Miss_Dark said:

@PlywoodStick Didn't you play Timesplitters then? I love timesplitters 2 :) future perfect was too fast paced but TS2 was great imo.

I thought Skies of Arcadia Legends was very decent as well (very strong character development, strong story line).

PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick said:

@Miss_Dark Yes, Timesplitters 2 was good, I had it. (Once referred to as "heir apparant" of Goldeneye.) Had many fun matches with it. Still didn't beat out Perfect Dark for me, though.

Skies of Arcadia is one of the crown jewels of the Dreamcast, to be sure. I wouldn't put it in exactly the same category as Secret of Mana, though. Traditional JRPG versus Action Adventure/ RPG.

PlywoodStick

PlywoodStick said:

@Miss_Dark Don't get me wrong, it's good to demand that the classics have worthy successors. It's just a different landscape today from back then.

Miss_Dark

Miss_Dark said:

@PlywoodStick yeah but that was an entirely different industry man.. now it's GRAPHICS GRAPHICS and cheap money spin offs... nintendo has turned into a machine. Every now and then they still release a pearl but those games are so rare now... we can only be thankful that we experienced the SNES & N64 era.

thehoppypoppy

thehoppypoppy said:

This is a "wait-and-see" for me. That's probably a good thing for me though. I have a substantial backlog of 3DS games (need to lighten up on the Tomodachi Life for awhile I guess). >_< Plus I have a decent sized 3DS/WiiU wishlist already (my hubby got us a WiiU for our 5 year anniversary last week, so romantic)!

manic221

manic221 said:

I really like the Miku games and i'm glad to see them localised but it makes me sad that SEGA localise all these games and yet we still have no Yakuza 5 :'( SEGA do you hate me?

Like i said i like Miku i own the other localised one on PS3 infact i imported Diva F on vita from Japan before it was localised..