PS Vita Owners Can Now Give Their Handheld That Vital Nintendo Feel

Posted by Damien McFerran

Super Famicom case available in Japan

As much as we adore the 3DS, we're not too proud to admit that the PS Vita is a seriously great handheld, despite what its relatively dismal western sales figures suggest. It's home to some amazing big-name releases and indie titles, and if you already own one but don't feel it's Nintendo enough, we've got the solution.

These amazing Super Famicom cases are now available in Japan. Datel Japan is selling one which zips up for around 1200 Yen, and also offers a slip pouch variant for under 1000 Yen.

Are you a Vita owner? Is this the storage solution you've been looking for? Let us know with a comment below.

[via tinycartridge.com]

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

Nah this isn't weird at all. I have skins for my Wii U to make it look like a Sega Dreamcast

Poki

Poki said:

If I had a Vita, the slip case would be mine! But as it is, I'll wait for the next Sony handheld until I jump at it again. I loved Monster Hunter on my PSP, but now with MH3U and MH4U on the 3DS there's little reason for me to invest in the Sony ecosystem again.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I guess VITA really can't get its own image. Too bad that this looks rather bad, since it's only a simple print. They should've mimicked the form of the SNES controller, as well.

outburst

outburst said:

No offense but honestly, not a single exclusive Vita game that I know of interests me.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I wouldn't say the Vita is a good console mainly by how few games there are for it. It came out in 2012 (outside of Japan) and only 2 years later Sony announce that they've abandoned it (their E3 press conference).

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

I own a Vita and love Nintendo, but this thing is hella ugly. Not worth posting IMO.

nintimdo

nintimdo said:

I own a vita and I actually think this is really cool. I might do some googling for a nice case for my vita and 3DS later actually :D

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@Jazzer94 Precisely. They didn't announce anything noteworthy for Vita at E3. That's the issue.

I wouldn't say the Vita is a good handheld. I'd say it had the potential to become one, but it's maker seems to have thrown all that goodwill out of the window by now. The PSP was a very good handheld and a strong contender to DS last generation, so it's really baffling how Sony seems to not care at all.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

@Jazzer94 @Samurai_Goroh Third-parties are keeping the Vita alive in Japan, at least. Though they're more or less games that appeal to the core otaku crowd, the hallmark of shovelware there.

Should've renamed the damn thing to Ativ, though. 'Tis a shame Samsung took that and at least tried to make it look alive.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

I need to buy a Vita soon. I pre-ordered the new Senran Kagura game without yet owning the system. Also need to buy Tales of Hearts R later this year.

Yasume

Yasume said:

Vita is a fantastic system if you like RPGs and Japanese games. I own 108 games for it so far. It's not for everyone though, I'll admit that.

I'd say that the Vita is superior to the 3DS on all fronts, though. If Sony would support it just as much as Nintendo's doing for their handhelds, it would curbstomp the 3DS in sales.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Horrible cases tbh.

Just a pity Sony wont be suporting the Vita anymore. All down to 3rd Parties and Indie Devs sadly.

I have one, the Slim one, and after Uncharted and Tearaway and a couple other indie games, there really isnt much that interests me that I cant already play on my PS3 or Wii U or even 3DS. Such a missed opportunity for Sony, they just dont seem to understand how to make portable games for a portable system like Nintendo. They just want full big massive home console games on a handheld, which, in reality, simply does not work.

TheBigK

TheBigK said:

I've always had kind of a passing interest in the Vita, but I may have to get one eventually, as Tales of Hearts R is getting an English release

nilcam

nilcam said:

I bought a Vita before my 3DS and ended up selling it. To be honest, neither handheld is perfect this go round. I like my 2DS a lot but the region locking is an awful choice. On the Vita front, the sealed battery and proprietary memory card is awful.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@TheWPCTraveler @Samurai_Goroh Which isn't the same as "2 years later Sony announce that they've abandoned it (their E3 press conference)." , trust me when I say I'm one of the biggest critics of the Vita (just check any Pushsquare article) but Sony are still supporting it here and there I mean they are actually releasing Freedom Wars physically after fan feedback so I'll give them some credit also no games argument is just stupid at this point there are plenty and enough to build a great collection.

AVahne

AVahne said:

These are for the Slim right? Cuz I need one
Anyway, the Vita is an amazing handheld. I just wish the memory cards weren't so expensive.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I'm considering getting a Vita as soon as I can't resist the desire to get my hands on Playstation All Stars Battle Royale anymore.

Yes, the wait for the 3DS version of Smash Bros. is seriously that unbearable.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

The Vita is a pretty good handheld from what I've seen, even if its not doing so hot right now. It's odd that Sony dropped the ball so hard coming from the PSP. I wonder if maybe since the PSP succeeded despite pro duos being expensive they could get away with it again with the Vita. Keeping the $250 price point for so long even after Nintendo dropped the 3DS's price and released the XL didn't help much either.

They haven't even gotten backwards-compatibility fully supported yet, which seems to be quite a selling point for some, myself included.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

i was so irritated with region lock that i went and got an oled vita (not the new slim with the crappy screen) and i really liked it. im still way more of a nintendo fan but it was nice being able to play a japanese game if i wanted to. (gundam seed) and it has some really good games, just not as many games as nintendo. playing dragon ball z now, its pretty good. cant wait for sword art online and freedom wars to get to NA. also u can download a ton of ps1, ps2 and psp games for pretty cheap thru the store. i didnt know that until after i got it, so overall its actually worth getting one i would say.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I'd like a case designed to look like a 1989 GameBoy myself. I don't understand shoving a SNES controller into my pocket..

617Sqn

617Sqn said:

I would get that case, it just made me smile. I own a Vita and a 3d s xl. I honestly think the Vita is the best handheld there has ever been, its just a shame the game line up is sparse. For the next gen of portables (if there will be one ) I would love to see Sony and Nintendo team up ...... for gamers that would be a dream come true.