Nintendo and Koei Tecmo Hosting Fatal Frame Broadcast on 17th July in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Details of Wii U exclusive on the way

Earlier this year it was announced that a new Fatal Frame / Project Zero title is coming to the Wii U, which is pleasing news for fans of the horror franchise. The series has a slightly patchy release history in the West, however, with Project Zero 2: Wii Edition coming to Europe but not North America, the fourth title Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen being Japan-only on Wii and some main entries in the series skipping Nintendo hardware entirely.

Nintendo has, nevertheless, worked with Tecmo to gradually increase the popularity of the franchise in the West, and is partnering with the developer for the latest Fatal Frame / Zero title; Nintendo has now used its official Twitter feed to advise that there'll be a media broadcast at 1:30pm on 17th July.

It'll be live streamed via NicoNico, and is loosely translated as a 'media mix' that looks set to feature the game along with details on the film, manga and novel that are also on the way. There'll be guests from Nintendo, including Shigeru Miyamoto, along with senior speakers from Koei Tecmo. We're hopeful that the broadcast will be visible outside of Japan via the streaming page — that'll be at 9:30pm Pacific / 12:30am Eastern / 5:30am UK / 6:30am CET.

With the potential use of the GamePad for hunting ghosts, this does seem like a title that could help to fill out the Wii U library worldwide, with horror experiences rare on the system. Even with this broadcast being focused on Japan, we'll hopefully learn more on how this one is shaping up.

AndyWARbear

AndyWARbear said:

Yes, Yeees, YEEEESSSS!!!!
Sorry, I've been waiting for Fatal Frame U news since it's announcement...

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Although I dislike the horror genre, it's great news that Wii U is filling the void of all those game genres that Nintendo would usually just ignore.

3DSfan134

3DSfan134 said:

@outburst Wikipedia is not a source to tell if it's Wii U exclusive or not. If you read the article, its Wii U exclusive. ;) Sometimes Wikipedia is a source for games.

outburst

outburst said:

@3DSfan134
I use Wikipedia just for quick info about a game. :) and the article doesn't directly sat is Wii U exclusive ... Oh wait the subheader. :D

pinkeurocket

pinkeurocket said:

Yes please! It's still a shame Fatal Frame 4 was never brought over, the fan translation was excellent. Very hopeful this one will be localised!

ToniK

ToniK said:

Can't wait! If they decide to skip Europe I will be mad. PZ2 on Wii was awesome. I pre-ordered it back then. Gave me the creeps :D

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Hell f***ing yeah!!! Now this is what I'm talking about!!! The reason I picked up a Wii U a few months back!! Ive been dying to hear news about this game.
This is my killer app baby!!!

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Woooo Fatal Frame 2 was so chilling by far the most disturbing game i have ever played finger's crossed they make it for us in the westenworld.

DarkAngel_17

DarkAngel_17 said:

It better be a proper full game unlike "spirit camera" on 3ds. My body is waiting for more news

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

This has to come to Europe and North America, come on Nintendo!
They should re-release the fourth one for Wii U or at least Wii in western countries. It is really great and I am eternally happy that some fans did a fan translation for the fourth one since Nintendo didn't want to.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

Hopefully since the Wii U library is a bit slim, it tempts them to release it in all territories.

@Kolzig

That's a pretty good idea actually. Kind of like what they'll do for Bayonetta 2 giving us the first game with it. I'd be ok even if it wouldn't have gamepad support, just as long as you could play it with the Wii remotes.

HAL9000

HAL9000 said:

This would be a great use of the Wii U gamepad as the camera in the game!

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Criticisms for repacks and remasters be damned, I would pre-order a Fatal Frame 1-3 or 1-4 HD collection for Wii U without second thought.

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

Whether it's fatal frame 3 or a brand new Fatal Frame 5, this stream will contain nothing but good content IMHO.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

This one had better come over to the U.S. I rarely pre-order games, but I'll preorder this Day One.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Nice, it would be cool if they announced HD ports of the two Wii games for Wii U and brought that to the west along with the new game.

Shambo

Shambo said:

OOOH I want this game SO much! I'm in love with the series, and still sad they never localized number 4... Nintendo, please right your wrong, and do a Bayonetta on this one! (Meaning, obviously, give us whatever we missed out on on a Nintendo system, or in different regions, please, and supervise this new title to new levels of greatness! I'd happily accept good upscaled ports with simple Pro controller support for the older ones, and yes, I own them on PS2 but I'd really like a HUGE Project Zero/Fatal Frame box with all games on a Nintendo system...)

Action51

Action51 said:

Even if this isn't a big moneymaker for them, Nintendo would be foolish to pass on this.

Lately the horror genre in video games has been popular in the indie scene, but lacking in major console releases. This is a title that will bring a niche audience specifically to the Wii U...knowing they can pick up this at release and both Zombie U and Resident Evil Revelations cheap at retail or download.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

It better get to Canada or some people at Nintendo are going to get lots of lovely emails.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@Action51 TBH when was the last ghost horror game? (aside from Soul Suspect) When it comes to ghosts, just about anything can happen as seen with Corpse Party.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

This is all fine and well, but lets not forget that they didn't release Fatal Frame 4 in the West. :( All we got was a Fatal Frame 2 port pretty late in the Wii's lifespan.

I'd love to play this but can't get excited just yet.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

I expect FFU to be Japan only. Or if you're lucky, NA+Japan. Come to think of it - I have no idea why Project Zero 2 was released in Europe instead of NA.

DarkAngel_17

DarkAngel_17 said:

Nintendo better bring Project zero HD collection as well as new game. There's so much goodness in the past series too

FragRed

FragRed said:

Nintendo are hugely odd in their ideas and localising of games. However, Nintendo also know that the Wii U is in real big problems when it comes to video games right now so I am sure they wouldn't miss an opportunity to add to the title and hopefully sell a few more consoles in the west.

By the way, I have seen one or two people mention that Nintendo either owns or part owns the franchise. I thought it was available on other systems, so when did this come about?

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

How bout they just bundle both Fatal Frame 2 and 4 with Fatal Frame 5 when it comes out then we won't miss out on any of the series title. They could also make HD remake of FF1 & FF3 too.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Nintendo doesn't get horror titles..? The Letter, Fatal Frame, Resident Evil 0 exclusive, Resident Evil remake exclusive, Resident Evil 4 timed exclusive, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil Revelations timed exclusive, Cursed Mountain, Dementium, ZombiU and Alone in the Dark, just to name a few.
Obviously there are others with ties to horror, like SMT, Resident Evil 2 and of course, 999 and it's sequel.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Personally, I still think the perfect Wii U games would be a brand new Clocktower. The Gamepad was basically made for point and click, swipe and craft. It's the whole reason games like Mario Maker, Scribblenauts, Pushmo and Art Academy look so enticing.
Clocktower was always about defense and survival, building traps and staying alive. With the microphone (trying to stay quiet) and the gyroscope / accelerometer (trying to stay still), horror games could be HUGE on a Wii U that's still hurting for new games.
Just thinking about playing a Clive Barker inspired game, or maybe one by Japan's diverse writers, gets my arm hairs tingling.
Coukd be great, but I'm an optimist that way.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

please bring it to the us, you don't even have to translate the voices as subtitles would be fine. please!

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

I need this game so bad. Hope it gets localized. If it doesn't, I'll save up for a JPN Wii U & this game, but it'd suck to have to do all that for only one or two games, including Dragon Quest (even though there are some other great JPN-only games to buy).