Multi-Generational Paper Mario Stage Confirmed for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Flips between Sticker Star and The Thousand-Year Door

With its release approaching quickly, we can expect more Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS news in the coming days and weeks. Masahiro Sakurai has taken the opportunity to share another new stage on the Miiverse Director's Community, and it could be a popular option on the portable.

It's broadly a Paper Mario stage that'll transform by flipping over during battle. The two scenes shown are from Paper Mariol: Sticker Star and GameCube title Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and we imagine it'll look terrific in action.

Pic of the day. For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros. series, here's a Paper Mario stage! It's made of paper, so strong winds will blow it away.

Since the stage is paper, it transforms when it folds over and opens up again. This ship is the S.S. Flavion from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

Are you pleased with this 3DS stage reveal? Let us know.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Ah! Paper Mario! My favorite Mario series! I hope that there are even more scenes that this pop-up-book will cycle through! BTW. I believe I found a small typo: 'Paper Mariol: Sticker Star'.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Hopefully they make a Thousand Year Door (or alternitavely Super Paper Mario) themed stage on Wii U, I vote for Rogueport.

Koopa_Bro

Koopa_Bro said:

Great idea! however IMO i think Boggly Woods and Twilight Town should be contenders along with Hooktails castle. Hooktail could maby smash the castle sending the characters to a second stage.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

No doubt that they'll be more sections of this stage. It looks great, can't wait to play on it and I hope the music selection is good too.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Pros: Paper Mario Stage, Thousand Year Door.

Cons: Something that reminds me of Sticker Star.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Sticker Star, booooo.
Thousand-Year Door, yaaaaaaay! Yin and Yang right there! I'm excited.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@DreamyViridi As I was discussing with my brother earlier I believe this stage would go the route of the Kalos Pokémon League and transition throughout the entire game. Soooo that means GLITZ PIT PLEASE! All I know is that I'm under excited for the remastered music selections!

Edited

Just realized that this is A 3DS stage yet the scenes are from a console. Please let this be avaliable on both versions please!

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I still want Paper Mario to be a new character...With his moves involving partners.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@AyeHaley That's entire stupid yet cool. Stupid because no more useless Mario newcomers but awesome for the fact is get to see the partners again.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The Glitz Pit just has to be a background or else that will be a huge oversight. It makes to much sense.

But I'm happy to finally see a Paper Mario stage, and I'm even happier that it transitions between the different games of the series. I hope there's also backgrounds from the first Paper Mario and Super Paper Mario!

ShigKirby

ShigKirby said:

Hope to see more set pieces from both games in this stage(s). Great to see The Thousand Year Door as you would think they could have just included Super Paper Mario instead but chose this. Perhaps they learned that if there was going to be a Paper Mario game on Wii U, it should be more like TTYD. I like all Paper Mario games but the environments, characters and RPG elements were striped back for trial and error gameplay that follows the same old story that the series attempted to stay away from. Maybe the success of Dream Team might show how on the other side of the RPG Mario games it felt familiar but also added something new and fresh that didn't streamline and go against the early screenshots. Anyway, Glitzpit should be included. FEEL THE RAWK!!!

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Nice to see some Paper Mario representation in the game also the stage looks awesome and I know the music will be too.

@ModestFan93 Nope the first pic is from Paper Mario: Sticker Star where you get the fan.
Untitled
Untitled

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Sticker Star got such a high-scoring review from NintendoLife. I don't get it. It's just not a good game. :(

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Looks cool.

I'd love to get a stage on the Wii U based on the stage in Paper Mario 1 & 2. The audience could throw things at the players and we'd get all that snazzy Paper Mario battle music.

Stageception!

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I think it looks amazing. I, for one, loved Sticker Star and liked Yoshi's New Island but to each their own. Can't wait for this version of Smash.

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

I wish we'd get a Paper Mario stage on Wii U, too. It got its start on consoles anyway, so imo it would've made more sense on Wii U. All the Mario RPGS seem to have migrated to 3DS lately, and that kinda sucks. I'd kill for a new Paper Mario game on a home console.

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

I was almost mad that the first Paper Mario stage on Smash was going to be of my personal worst game in the series, and then I saw the Thousand-Year Door pic. I'm happy now. I would appreciate if there was something of the first game. And of Super Paper Mario. But if it is just these two, I'm ok with it.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Paper mario baby! I'm betting there's at least one more paper mario game rep on this stage. Either way this is awesome.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Kinda weird, though, since, aside from Sticker Star, the Paper Mario series has entirely been on home console. I hope there's a Paper Mario themed stage on the Wuu version, and I hope it blows this one away.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I guess this probably means Wii U will get a stage based on N64 and Wii, nevertheless I hope the Smash stages are hints for Wii U VC in Q4 this year onwards (e.g. Paper Mario TTYD and Star Fox Assault).

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

Wow, I was just playing Paper Mario 2 the other day, I went on the S.S. Flavion, and now that ship is in this game. I hope they make a Paper Mario stage like this for the Wii U version featuring places from the first three Paper Mario games. I do find it weird that the Paper Mario 2 (which is on Gamecube) part is on the 3DS version, but it's still great to see Paper Mario elements in some way in this game.

allav866

allav866 said:

I wonder if Paper Mario 64 is referenced in the stage, and I hope the Wii U gets a Super Paper Mario stage. I want to have a kerfuffle in the Underwhere... Did that sound a bit weird?

dinosauryoshi

dinosauryoshi said:

Release the game already Ninty! I can't take the wait any longer! I like the look of this stage and have pretty much decided I'm getting both versions now. My wallet thinks this is an unwise move but I no longer care.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I bet the Wii U stage, if there is one, will be based on Glitzville and the Glitzpit.

This stage looks great.

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

I agree with most of the Sticker Star comments on here. While the game was kind of fun, it was a disastrous departure from the Paper Mario formula which has proven that it works oh so well. I still don't understand what they were thinking..we really could use another game along the lines of Paper Mario or TTYD.

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

thousand year door was gcn, why they added to 3ds is beyond me, they should have added a super paper mario stage for 3ds and paper mario and thousand year door for wii u. it would be nice to see paper mario as a brawler as someone said earlier or an item that turns you to paper >insert brawler name here<.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Finally, a Paper Mario stage! Glad to hear Nintendo hasn't forgotten TTYD, easily one of my most favorite games ever. Just wish it didn't have to share with Sticker Star....
Hope it'll transform into more areas, especially more TTYD ones. As someone else said, it would be awesome to see the Glitz Pit become part of the stage.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I'm glad someone remembered the Mario RPG series. Would be nice to have some of those characters in the Mario spinoff series rather than generic Goombas, Koopas and Boos, etc.

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

Sticker Star and Thousand-Year Door....now we just need the other two games. I think a Mario & Luigi stage should've been on 3DS (since all of its titles are on handhelds) and a Paper Mario stage should've been on Wii U (since 3/4 of its games are on home consoles).

Iggly

Iggly said:

I'm hoping Sakurai will consider adding a Paper Mario stage on the Wii U version since I won't be getting the 3DS version.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

This almost has me very tempted to get the 3DS version of the game, shame I am waiting for the Wii U version!

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

This is by far my favorite stage out of either the Wii U and 3DS versions collectively. I'm completely fine with, say, 2 PM:SS scenes, and 2 TY scenes.

I completely agree with the move to use the most recent game and the most popular.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

As long as this doesn't unbalance the represented series (Mario has four portable stages by now), I'm in.

LordFawful

LordFawful said:

I hope it rotates between the four games and has a Dimentio cameo in the SPM part. This'll definitely be my most-played stage (unless a Mario & Luigi stage appears, then they will both be)