Final Fantasy Explorers Is Hitting Japan This Winter

Posted by Damien McFerran

Still no word on a western release, though

It has been confirmed in today's Japan-only Nintendo Direct that Square Enix's new 3DS RPG Final Fantasy Explorers will be hitting Japanese stores in the winter.

The four player title is intended as a stepping-stone into the world of RPGs and will boast famous creatures from the history of the esteemed series. Players will be able to create a character from different "job" classes and online play will be possible over both a local and web connection.

There's no word on the western release as yet, but we'll naturally let you know the moment we hear anything.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

We shouldn't and won't see this till CHRISTmas next year. If it released here to soon after the Japanese release it would cut into MH4 and I see that being more popular tbh.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

My little sister would love this game and it would be fantastic if we could play it together. Hoping for a Western release!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

If it's Final Fantasy, then chances are we'll see it coming to stateside soon. The only series that I was hoping to come back are Dragon Quest, would be really nice if Nintendo or Square Enix localize the Dragon Quest remakes again (DQVII, the DQM remakes).

ekreig

ekreig said:

Really hoping for a western release because I've been wanting a multiplayer 3DS RPG for ages. However, I'll admit the phrase "stepping-stone into the world of RPGs" worries me. The way I see it, that could either mean highly customizable like Bravely Default or just watered down. Like always, I shall reserve my judgment until I read some reviews.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Saw the trailer earlier today and the combat looks somewhat similar to Final Fantasy Type-0, which is amazingly good. If it's localized, it'll definitely be on my list ;)

rjejr

rjejr said:

I can't imagine they don't plan on westernizing it after giving it a name like "Final Fantasy Explorers". How much more western can a name get?

After watching the video all I can say is "Marlboros!!!". I really hate those guys and their status everything breath.

Oh, and I know it's called FF but those graphics look very Dragon Quest to me. Must be the cell shading.

And Ifrit may be on fire but Shiva is hot. ;-)

Oh, and I really wish Nintneod, SE whoever would stop using "winter", it's too ambigous. Either say "holiday' or "early next year" or "the beginning of next year" or just "next year". I'm ok w/ "spring", "summer" and "fall" and/or "autumn", but winter just is too spread out between the all important Christmas holiday season and the nobody cares months of Feb and March.

River3636

River3636 said:

I'm not holding my breathe. Where the the Bleep is dragon Quest seven or Dragon Quest 10?

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@River3636 Dragon Quest X may be a nightmare to being over here since its a MMO and it may not make money in the west with its current model.

But honestly, there is no excuse as to why we have not gotten the Dragon Quest VII remake yet.

River3636

River3636 said:

Well I can get dragon Quest eight on my iOS and I don't want it I want the real deal on Nintendo console I am wanting Dragon Quest so bad that I am on my DS playing Dragon Quest nine ( which is the best ever).I don't know what SquareEnix thinks they're doing but they better get it together..

AVahne

AVahne said:

@rjejr
Well, the name's been trademarked over here in the west in both Murica and Europe, so there's a chance.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I want to see more, but I'm interested. I'd be really surprised if it doesn't come here eventually.