Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Forty Seven

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Rayman! New Challengers! Nintencats! More!

Last week was a big one for Super Smash Bros., with plenty of hype surround a live broadcast that revealed Captain Falcon, Lucina and Robin as new challengers. As you would expect, that dominated the week's new screens.

Masahiro Sakurai did also move onto other details in his Director's Room Miiverse community posts, however, showing off stage features and more tweaks to mechanics. There was also a lovely illustration by Yusuke Kozaki, who worked on Fire Emblem: Awakening; it was a bumper week, with more entries than normal.

As always you can see the results below — check them out and click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

14th July

14th July #2

14th July #3

15th July

16th July

17th July

18th July

Plenty of screenshots (and an illustration) to enjoy this week. Let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (347 votes)

Rayman looks pleased to be included as a trophy

12%

Robin & Robin pose for their reveal

Captain Falcon brings some futuristic style to the arena

12%

Yusuke Kozaki provides a gorgeous illustration

18%

Lucina shows her similarity to Marth

The Wii Fit trainers are just hanging out with Lucina and Marth

Lucina has the mark of Naga in her eye, not that it matters in the game

11%

Robin & Robin show off some moves

Captain Falcon feels the force of Arcfire

Peach clearly thinks that cat is super-cute

Mario and Little Mac feel the squeeze in a screen KO

20%

Um, I can't decide!

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

ValiantPixel

ValiantPixel said:

Maybe we'll get another newcomer or veteran at Comic Con...at least I hope. I remember hearing that there was a "special surprise" or something.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

I voted for Captain Falcon post.... just because that Sakurai isn't afraid to troll even Nintendo. XD

outburst

outburst said:

Saw captain falcon on his ride, scrolls down fast to vote... Clicked "falcon " and voted only to realized I clicked the "Captain Falcon feels the force of the Arcfire". LOL can I change my vote? :)

xj220_afiles

xj220_afiles said:

" Capt. Falcon, When are you ever getting a game of your own ? " HAHAHAHAHA I can't wait for a new one as well. Just bring back GX on HD with online! That would be awesome !

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Always felt Nintendo could use the Smash Bros. trophy concept as an achievement system for the Wii U and 3DS. 3rd parties could create trophies for their games if they felt like it. It's being used in a way with Amiibo however.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

I picked the Mark of Naga. Sure, we'd never be able to see it in game, but I really admire Sakurai's attention to the smallest of details.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for the Rayman trophy just for how surprising it was to see that pop up in the Pic of the Day. It definitely caught people off-guard after speculating about the newcomer trailer all weekend.

OneBagTravel

OneBagTravel said:

When ARE we going to see a new F-Zero game? I dig Mario Kart n all but the speed of F Zero was always awesome. Simple twitch racer.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Go screen KO! xD
Kinda wished I could see what Palutena looked like during that, lol

Artwark

Artwark said:

Why did they add Lucina's naga eye? Its not like gamers are gonna be picky on that silly little detail unless its didyouknowgaming........

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

The way Sakurai is talking makes me think Rayman will be a playable fighter, and F-Zero in the works.. But that's just how I see it. Honestly, I'm hyped for Robin, and I really hope his/her color swaps make em look like the different customization options (hair and face at least) from FEA.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

Robin showing Cpt. Falcon their moves. Wish I could've chosen two for my pic. Dem Screen KOs.

brewsky

brewsky said:

So, in the Living Room pic, Peach is singing and Pit clearly doesn't like it...is that a new special for Peach?

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Rayman, for two reasons:
1) It's a 3D version of the Rayman we've seen in Origins and Legends
2) It was a triumph for Sakurai's trolling antics

xerneas

xerneas said:

I had no idea Awakening cutscenes were made by anima omg this makes me proud to be a Finn for once in my life lol

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

What's the point of adding a Rayman trophy in the game when the mascot himself isn't in it? I know he had games on Nintendo system over the years and UbiSoft just want to use this to promote the hell out of him but c'mon there's no spot for Rayman in SSB4 and UbiSoft themselves already pissed me off when they delay his game for six months.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Tough week, all were legit great, but gotta go with rayman. I'm hoping for more third party trophies like bomberman simon belmont, and snake provided he doesn't get in which looks unlikely now.

2Sang

2Sang said:

@retro_player_22 you can't blame them after they put a ton of effort in zombiu and it failed to break 100k units. Ubisoft gave full fledged support until the wii u lost them a ton of money. They'll come back, but only once they can make a profit. They're a business after all.

Sportsfan1712

Sportsfan1712 said:

I think that the Wii U was a sales failure until MK8, and Smash Bros will make it a really big success

Sportsfan1712

Sportsfan1712 said:

Nintendo needs to fix the online mode for Smash Bros. because lets face it, intends online multiplayer has not been great on the 3DS, and it has been a total disaster on the Wii U.

Contrite

Contrite said:

@Sportsfan1712 Online multiplayer has been a disaster on the Wii U?
Uhm. what.

I'm not that big on online multiplayer (if I want that It's usually just Heroes of Newerth/other pc games), but the online in MK8 has been fantastic for me so far. Of course there's plenty of areas they could improve, like, it being easier inviting a friend to play with you for example, but I'd hardly call it a disaster.

Chances are Brawl for Wii U will still be quite laggy though, that is, if you don't invest in a lan adapter. Wifi is just unfit for fighters, on all consoles. Wish the U had an ethernet port from the getgo. :(

jj87

jj87 said:

I don't know. The 3ds looks too pixelated. Nintendo should have cleaned it up a bit. The dark outline around the players is a little strange.

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

Mario and Little Mac definitely had the best picture but for best information, I'd give that award to 15th July.

Sportsfan1712

Sportsfan1712 said:

@Contrite I do agree that the Wii U should have an ethernet port like you said. About the MK8 Online Multiplayer, along with other games I play on the system, the online mode is horrible. All my friends and even relatives that live in other states say their online is horrible, so it is not just. It can be fixed tho, so I hope Nintendo does. I love Nintendo and the Wii U and I want it to succeed, but if they want to really get a big boost ahead of the competition it would be smart for them to fix online.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

Man that illustration that shows off the newcomers is awesome. I don't know if it's Just me but when I see amazing artwork like that for a game I just want to play it even more.

coolaggro

coolaggro said:

Brawl in the Family webcomic had a funny comic today about Rayman's odd trophy, pretty great stuff