Feast Your Eyes On The Official Super Smash Bros. Screens for Robin, Lucina and Captain Falcon

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Over 30 images to enjoy

Today, after being given a whole weekend's notice in which to build anticipation, Nintendo revealed Captain Falcon, Lucina and Robin as Challengers in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. It was a slick three minute video, in which the new character faced off and we also saw two variations of Robin, who can be selected as a male or female character.

It's certainly exciting for fans of the F-Zero franchise and likewise Fire Emblem, in particular the 3DS entry Awakening. You can check out the video at the link above, but we thought we'd bring together all of the revealed screenshots of the new challengers now that the official website has recovered from meltdown. Let's start up with an additional Pic of the Day post from Masahiro Sakurai on the Miiverse Director's Room.

Pic of the day. Robin, the avatar in Fire Emblem Awakening, joins the battle!! As a master of tomes and the Levin sword, Robin's not like any other swordfighter. You can also select Robin's gender when you play.

Now, below are the screens posted on each challenger page on the official website.

Robin

Lucina

Captain Falcon

Do you like the look of these fighters? Let us know.

Related Games

brewsky

brewsky said:

"And welcome back, Captain Falcon!! When are you ever getting a new game of your own?"

Oh, Sakurai, you're such a troll....

Austroid

Austroid said:

So happy Captain Falcon is bright and colorful again! :D

He also looks a bit more comic booky; definately a better style compared to his overly detailed, muted-colored look in Brawl.

TheWindWaker

TheWindWaker said:

The roster keep getting bigger and bigger! I wonder how many, if any, characters will not be revealed until the game is released? Surely they are saving some surprises for us to discover on our own!

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

How awesome would it be if you could put your awakening Avatar onto the 3ds version and play as them? I'm super happy about this reveal, and that it wasn't chorus men or whatever

Yosher

Yosher said:

I think that comment about Captain Falcon may be a hint to a new F-Zero being in development that Sakurai knows about? Sakurai is a troll but I don't think he trolls about this stuff just to be a duck, I think he knows more than he's letting on here!

Either way, I'm excited about all of these! Captain Falcon looks hilarious, and I'm totally gonna main Robin (along with Yoshi of course). And Lucina just looks like a Marth alt honestly, she moved just like him in the trailer.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

This reveal was great! I could not have asked for anything better. I'll be sure to play as Robin and do him/her justice with flawless tactics! I'm glad about Captain Falcon's confirmed return as well. He was awesome in the reveal trailer!

brewsky

brewsky said:

Untitled

This has got to be the funniest pic ever. The look on Chrom's face is hilarious!

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

We can only hope that Nintendo is working on F-Zero. Did these games not sell? I remember playing all three home console versions with my friends.

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Right. I saw the trailer again. G&W was with Pacman for the 1980 portion. My apologizes

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

If you look at one of the Captain Falcon pictures with the Blue Falcon, it confirms Port Town Aero Drive as a stage.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I still don't think Chrom is only a Final Smash for Robin. Sigh, Only time will tell though...

BTW Lovin' that pic of Luigi and Lucina! lol!

Lucina will most likely be my new main. Sorry Shiek!

Aozz101x

Aozz101x said:

i actually like the way they made C. Falcon he looks more original then he did in brawl, melee and SM64 TBH

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Sakurai, biggest troll in the history of the known gaming world! (Maybe he knows something we don't....????? :O
Glad, not surprised, that Lucina is in. I am surprised Robin is in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been thinking of replaying Awaking for some time, Permadeath stopped me long ago on Chapter 11 or 12 I think...hate to say it 2nd play through I am doing it on easy (save Permadeath for a 3rd playthrough)

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@HandheldGuru97 I am doing the opposite. I played with perma-death but on easy difficulty and cleared the game after ALLOT of retries! I'm now going through with new (non perma-death) mode, but hard difficulty.

Suicune

Suicune said:

what the heck is that picture of Luigi and Lucina in sepia? Its that an effect of her Final Smash?

Pika2346

Pika2346 said:

@vamkar Surely Chrom would be very similar to Lucina/Ike/Marth, whereas Robin actually uses magic as well as a sword. Even though I prefer Chrom as a character, Robin would have a potentially more original moveset, so I can see why Nintendo favoured Robin. The limited uses of tomes is interesting as well.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Seeing Lucina and Robin in action, in HD, is spiking my interest in SMT x FE. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Direct dedicated to that game around SSBU's release.
Amiibo looks even more expensive after this reveal!

Megatonwhale

Megatonwhale said:

Ever so slightly off topic, but who else thinks that Ganondorf will get a reveal for SSB during a Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct?

Austroid

Austroid said:

@SamirMalik Yeah he looks more like a superhero from an old Japanese show even more so, than the F-Zero racer, part-time bounty hunter he's supposed to be. :P

Aceboss100

Aceboss100 said:

36 Characters and counting. For sure there will be 40 Characters but i am hoping for at least 45. God this game is getting better. Im really still have a small part of me that wants to see mewtwo and both of his glorious mega forms.

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King I hate to seem nitpicky, but Lucina was never in a swimsuit. She was in Summer Scramble DLC, but she wore a kimono and there was never censorship. I believe you're referring to Tharja in her red bikini shown in Summer Scramble (which was censored for NA). They're two completely different characters.

Ferkner

Ferkner said:

@SockoMario Of course. I don't care about some torn down minor character. I'd rather see a character that was iconic during the golden age of gaming. Hell, Aero the Acrobat or Bubsy would be better than some F-Zero racer.

randomous

randomous said:

@Nimious Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking. Fast Marth... jeez. Does anybody know if "tippers" are still in this game?

Fade

Fade said:

I like robin, but WHY WAS CHROM LEFT OUT!

" I guess I'll get my chance some other day"
all they gave him was a final smash cameo

BSFsontails1012

BSFsontails1012 said:

@Megatonwhale
That makes sense, but I feel that this should have been his moment to shine cause of that evil consolation of Captain Falcon seemed to fit Ganon better. Still awesome to see these 3 though!!!! So happy about Lucina!
The only reason I know about these FE characters is because I researched stuff on FEA, but never brought it, but this increases my chances of getting it!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I mean, cool, but won't Lucina basically play like Marth? I'm not against the Fire Emblem representation. Just seems weird, is all.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I can say without a doubt that Lucina will be one of my main characters so I am quite pleased with the announced characters! Just one more reason to look forward to Super Smash Bros.

Turbo857

Turbo857 said:

@Mega719

To tell ya the truth. I think Robin took Micaiah's place. She definitely would've been the next choice for a playable FE magic user.

With 2 sword wielding FE characters already included (Marth and Ike), I could imagine Chrom would be a tough sell and difficult to apply a unique move set to in order to separate him from the other guys. Lucina impersonates Marth in Awakening and has an interest in his history so making her a Marth clone makes perfect sense.

coolaggro

coolaggro said:

@Xtremetdifan I hope that I can also take my avatar from animal crossing games and play with them :P that would be cool and fun. Make it happen with Amiibo even

Megatonwhale

Megatonwhale said:

@BSFsontails1012 I totally agree. It was watching Captain Falcon play the role of "Overwhelmingly powerful boss that you're probably scripted to lose to" that made me think of Ganondorf. I still have hope though as a Hyrule Warriors Direct would be an ideal platform for a reveal. You should check out FE:A, it's a damn good game :)