You're Not Seeing Things, There's A New SNES Title On The Way

Posted by Damien McFerran

Unreleased platformer Dorke And Ymp finally coming to market

You would be forgiven for assuming that last year's Nightmare Busters is the final SNES release, seeing as the console itself is well over twenty years old now, but that isn't the case.

Piko Interactive has secured the rights to Dorke and Ymp (also known as Dorque and Imp), a title which was produced by Swedish studio Norse back in the '90s but never got published. Original developer Peter Waher has sold the code to Piko, which is planning a physical release in the near future.

The game is apparently around 80-85 percent complete, so a little more work is required before it can be published. Sadly, the original designer and creator of the game won't be around to see Dorke and Imp finally make it into the hands of gamers — Jim Studt (also known as Satrio) passed away in April at just 42 years old.

You can check out the game by watching the video below. Is this something you'd be prepared to invest in? Or do you think the publisher should have taken the digital route and released the game on the eShop instead? Share your feelings with a comment.

[via retrocollect.com]

Trogue12

Trogue12 said:

Hopefully can get my hands on a rom of it, since my Snes is getting a bit senial.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Got Nightmare Busters around 6 months ago, going to get this as well. Love how ”new” SNES game's are still being released.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I like the idea behind the gameplay, and honestly I would like to try this one. Dorke and Ymp, what an interesting name.

Kewlan

Kewlan said:

It's a cool idea and all, but the game itself looks super bad.
Slow, having to go back through the level because you didn't find the key... those are the main problems I see with it right now.

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

@Kewlan Totally agree. It looks like a game that wouldn't be successful even if it was released during the SNES era.

AhabSpampurse

AhabSpampurse said:

That artwork looks like Josh Kirby's work, the guy who did the Discworld covers before tragically dying.

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

And I don't know if you guys figured it out but it feels a liitle buggy. Mainly when the imp was carring the green guy.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Don't really like the clunky look. Reminds me of all those awkward liscensed titles that were often ignored back in that era.

That said, I like the idea of releases on old platforms but I also want to see them on eshop like Pier Solar.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

I'm waiting to get the 2nd run of nightmare busters, amnesty ordered, and I will definitely check this out as well. It's awesome that these games are finally being released!

BarryDunne

BarryDunne said:

Best looking SNES game (for me), will always be Donkey Kong Country. That game looked and played great!!

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I was questioning why anyone would buy those new retro systems but now i see

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

...unless they own the original hardware (the SNES) that the game is being made for. It's a good alternative if you can only afford one thing and not the other.

Lionhart

Lionhart said:

What needs to happen is for Piko Interactive to get in touch with the fine folks at WayForward and see if they can collaborate to make Dorke and Ymp into a more contemporary video game. I liked what I saw in that video snippet but they'd be selling themselves short if they don't expand to more consoles; the game would be perfect on the WiiU, Nintendo 3DS, PS4 and Sony PS Vita (i.e. Rayman Legends). Looking at WayForward's Shantae: Half Genie Hero is a perfect example of how excellent and crisp Dorke and Ymp could be if they teamed up with WayForward.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

The best buzz I ever got from buying a new console was the day I bought my SNES in Quinnsworth. Those were the days. This little baby was going to kick the c#@p out of the Megadrive :)

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I love the idea of unreleased SNES games being finished and then released, but really? This game looks very poorly made, being forced to fall into fire pits to get to the exit? Maybe the level just isn't finished (or the code as I also didn't notice a life bar) or the person playtesting is just sucky at it.

Either way, the only good thing I found in this is learning of Nightmare Busters, which looks a lot more fun and interesting. I hate that the game is $70, but I imagine it's expensive to produce carts for a 20 year old system that is not being supported by Nintendo anymore. I like this trend, and I hope to see it continue, especially if we can finally get a definitive Star Fox 2.

I know the cart for SF2 has been produced, but it's not really finished as the 2 player mode is absent. I'm also saving up to get my SF1 game converted to SFX2 so it won't run choppy anymore.