Video: Début Anima: Gate of Memories Gameplay Trailer is Released

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Like the WiiWare game, but totally different in 3D...

Update:

Carlos Garcia, from Anima Project Studio, has been in touch to clarify that the company — producing Anima: Gate of Memories — is an entirely separate entity from the developer that produced WiiWare predecessor Ark of Sinners. Anima Project is the company behind the original Anima Beyond Fantasy books, and would like this new title to be considered as a fresh break from its predecessor.

Original Article:

Those that were keen WiiWare fans may remember Anima: Ark of Sinners, a fairly ambitious sidescrolling action title set in the world of RPG saga Anima Beyond Fantasy. It was ambitious and absolutely nailed its storytelling, but in our view fell well short in the gameplay stakes, serving up a frustrating experience.

Yet still, it's a franchise with a number of keen supporters, as shown by the success of its Kickstarter campaign for Anima: Gate of Memories, which is due to come to Wii U — after PC and Mac — later this year.

With the title having been in development for over a year, the Spanish development studio has now released the first full gameplay trailer, showing a good deal of progress since its Kickstarter prototype videos. It does immediately bring back memories of the Wii title in the setting and tone of dialogue, though this time around it's a 3D world; the initial gameplay looks fairly positive and a lot less floaty than its predecessor.

There's potential for the camera to be troublesome, perhaps, but this looks like a decent foundation. Check it out below and let us know what you think.

[via nintenderos.com]

MAB

MAB said:

Looks like something I would grab if the price is right ;)

Remisio

Remisio said:

Looks pretty good. Though some of the dialog's grammar is cringe worthy. Unless that's supposed to be how they talk. It's still in progress though so hopefully it'll go through some editors and translators before it's released, considering how the story seems to be rather important, which I guess isn't an issue if the last game was praise worthy in that regard... So yeah, looks good.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

You forgot to mention that they have returned to kick starter for a second round of funding to improve what you have seen so far.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Well now... That looks pretty good.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to play Anima: Ark of Sinners now.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Ark Of Sinners was turrrrible. Unless the reviews on this are unimaginably good, I'll pass.

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

Reminds me a little of Devil May Cry only with a behind-the-back perspective. Though I have a problem with the main character' hips swinging when she moves... @.@;

Tops

Tops said:

Glad to hear it's not made by the same people as the WiiWare game but I'll still wait to hear some impressions first. Looks alright so far all things considered

Weird

Weird said:

i really like what i see :) i liked ark of sinners a lot and this looks even better and more interesting... cant wait for it <:

accc

accc said:

Wow, that looks a billion times better than the other Enema game

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Ark of Sinners was really stiff and confusing in terms of gameplay, but wasn't even that bad for a WiiWare title. I can see this one becoming a very good title, since they already got the atmosphere and story right and now have much more freedom due to crowdfunding.

XXIV

XXIV said:

@accc Enema is very different from Anima my friend.

They'll need to work on proofreading, but aside from that and the breasts jiggling whenever she breathes, I'd say this could be on my radar.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@MamaLuigi @XXIV hip swinging and breast breathing aside, it looks alright to me. When ever will they make an RPG without an over sexualized woman main character?

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, combat looks good. Though they shouldn't have the camera behind the player for a game like this.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Next to the dark style, overly sexualized female characters are some of the series main draws, like Bayonetta. Better then another god of war or green hero.
The WiiWare Anima game was evil but satisfying once you got through. In my book it's an ok game if you like a real challenge.

XXIV

XXIV said:

@accc I don't think you want that enema, though. Might wind up being more toxic than alcohol up there.

@PvtOttobot Neopets: The Darkest Faerie on the PS2, namely Roberta the Acara. Loved that game, though it was pretty awful.

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

Looks pretty good cant wait till it comes out...sadly I think thats the first time I actually ever said I was looking forward to a game coming out on the wiiu eshop

AVahne

AVahne said:

Pretty cool. Though, the way the character flaps her arms around when moving looks weird to me.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Meh, not enough naked flesh (remember the Wiiware game?)!

Lol, but seriously: Doesn't look that exciting.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

The enemies look quite cool, but it certainly needs a LOT more work done to it... Jumps look like they could use a lot of improvement and the overall character herself needs some improvement in the animation department, as her movements seem really non-fluid. I will be keeping tabs on this, as games like this typically surprise me. Malicious Rebirth on Vita (and PS3) is a decent comparison, super rough at first in it's development but ended up being great (to me at least).

Action51

Action51 said:

No more Gods of Bayonetta: Mad Lords of Inferno

Lol, looks a bit rough still, but very promising.

Action51

Action51 said:

If no one got my above joke, I was comparing the gameplay to:

• No More Heroes