Tactical Strategy RPG Based on Sci-Fi TV Series Falling Skies to Invade Wii U

Posted by Martin Watts

Third-party release is an alien concept

Publisher Little Orbit has announced that it's planning to release a new Wii U game based on sci-fi TV drama Falling Skies this autumn.

Known simply as Falling Skies: The Game and described as a tactical strategy RPG, the game is set within the post-apocalyptic world of the series, in which an alien race has conquered and wiped out the majority of mankind. Players will command a squad of survivors who form part of the 2nd Mass, one of major remaining human resistance groups in North America, and will engage in guerilla warfare against their technologically superior invaders. Fans of the show may be happy to learn that the game will also feature all of the show's main characters.

This new game promises to provide players with a supposedly never-ending list of missions. Characters receive new skills and weapon unlocks as you play, and the tactical nature of the gameplay will enable you to take different approaches to achieving your objectives. More specifically, Falling Skies: The Game will also have dynamic enemy AI and map randomisation in order to – in the press release's own words – make each mission feel "new and fresh".

Falling Skies: The Game will arrive on Wii U as a physical release, and although it has been announced for other digital services, including Steam, PSN and Xbox Live, a Wii U eShop version doesn't appear to be on the cards.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I quite enjoy the show... wonder if this one will turn out to be surprisingly good.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

Huh. I mean it sounds way way better than your average licensed game at least. Probably because it doesn't need to come out at the same time as a movie.

Cautiously optimistic? I mean, I'm not sure people would make a cash-in game by making it a strategy game.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

See what happens.....MK8 starts pushing Wii U's out of stores doors and already we are getting a rush of 3rd party titles!

In all seriousness......hoping this turns out to be a surprisingly good licensed game. Always looking for more good RPG's

Emblem

Emblem said:

Is this an upgrade of the Android/ios version? I hope they clean up the visuals before release as it looks very cheap at the moment.

I didn't like the show but i'm a sucker for strategy games and i'm interested in how the gamepad will be used.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Good stuff! Just started season 2 of the show, looks good. An rts would suit the show better than some over the top fps !!!

AlexOlney

AlexOlney said:

Can't be sure from a single screenshot, but I'm getting an XCOM vibe here, and that's no bad thing at all.

tovare

tovare said:

The game needs to be extremely awesome if it's a physical release. Mass effect 3 has been on my, 'get around to, someday soon'-list forewer. meanwhile i have two slots left on my fourth screen with dowloaded stuff.

Action51

Action51 said:

I don't know much about the show...but tactical RPG?

It sorta looks like Jagged Alliance from the screenshot, and that's a good thing.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

They're finally learning that Nintendo fans like their physical releases.

Remisio

Remisio said:

It also specifies how on June 10th at 4pm it'll change from the tree house live coverage to the Smash Invitational Live coverage... So... Nice!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

While I've watched all 3 seasons of the show, I doubt a licensed game will be any good. Let the shovelware begin!

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Now that I know it's going to be a Tactical Strategy RPG it's on my radar, I never watched the show but I always wanted to.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Have we learned nothing from Young Justice: Legacy and Monster High: 13 Wishes?

@DRL Don't give anyone ideas!

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I really enjoy the show and while I'm skeptical, it's nice that the Wii U is included. Wondering why no eShop release though. It looks pretty eShoppy. :P XCOM would be a great game to emulate for this particular tie-in. Would love for all of it to come together and be at least a good game.

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

All of Little Orbit's previous titles were released for the eShop, so why shouldn't this title be either?

ToniK

ToniK said:

Interesting. So it's not a first or third person shooter. I'm getting a strong vibe of 5/10 but I'll keep an eye on this. Has the potential to surprise. I kind of miss GR: Shadow Wars on 3DS which was surprisingly awesome and if this is anything like that I could give it a go.

Action51

Action51 said:

I know it's not super duper high end graphics, but it looks good. I hope it plays out turn based and plays top down with it shifting to an action first person for playing out commands during battles.

Kosmo

Kosmo said:

Like it has been said, it looks a LOT like X-com. I'll be following this one closely...

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Never saw, nor know anything about the show due to not having cable for the past couple years, but this image just makes me wish X-com would come to Wii U. I'd buy it day one because my steam copy runs like poop on my aging laptop.

If this scratches that itch, I might pick it up, but I doubt I'll have as much fun considering I'm sure I cant customize my squad at all, and it's probably going to assume I know the characters from the show. Will wait for review.

FX102A

FX102A said:

Not too keen on the "never-ending list of missions" if it means there's no campaign. I mean I like to work towards a goal. Unless of course there's a campaign and separate skirmish option.

Kiz3000

Kiz3000 said:

Yes it does look a bit dated but I would take that and the gameplay be smooth unlike the mess that is XCOM on the PS3, which looks good but has considerable slow down at times.

Sinister

Sinister said:

The show is pretty good.
Dont have hight hopes for the game but i give them the chnace to prove me wrong.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

It looks like a cheap XCOM clone, but if they'll price this right I'll give it a chance, considering the lack of strategy games...

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm deeply suspicious about a small game like this going retail only. It suggests they cannot be bothered going the eShop route (which you'd think would be easier than getting a disc pressed) or they don't want to risk inevitable negative feedback on Miiverse torpedoing sales...

Anyway no eShop=no sale in my book; I'm just saying don't applaud the the fact that there's a retail release - that might be to hide the turd-like nature of the game.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

actually as someone who enjoys the show, im NOT glad it has the main characters. games based on other media always seem to work better when they instead create a new set of characters in the universe instead of trying to adapt those same characters into the game

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

@Alucard83 For once I tried to sound optimist and you laugh at me... :( Obviously I can't buy this, I'm saving money for the GC adapter! I need it to play at high level with a 13 years old gamepad on my brand new 2 years old console!!!

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I could never make myself watch the show, the adverts made it seem like it's an over the top drama show with sci-fi action as just a flavour - but that's Australian TV though, they love to make people think every show is over the top drama, even when it isn't.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@Sean_Aaron Not sure I follow your logic. One could just as easily say that the game MUST be good if they are going to the trouble of making it a retail release, instead of the cheaper digital-only route. Not every game is available both ways, but I don't think that automatically means anything as far as the quality of the game is concerned.
Personally, I prefer physical copies over digital.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Well it's like this: Nintendo has made a big deal out of the eShop and made it possible for practically anyone to self-publish. This looks like it's like to be a game that was originally only available as a download, so what rational reason could there be for not making it available as a download on the Wii U?

Shambo

Shambo said:

Seems to hold some possible promise, I'll be watching this. Physical is certainly a plus!

andrea987

andrea987 said:

Strategy rpg + alien invasion + endless missions = full of win!
I just fear the 'physical release' would mean a high price point, and that's full of no-no's for me...

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Gameplay sounds promising but the appearance looks pretty mediocre which is understandable when looking at Little Orbit's other titles. Hope this is just very early screenshots or else this won't get good reviews

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I'd think that with 'endless missions' a digital download would be more appropriate.
I'm interested how this one will turn out.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@Sean_Aaron That's a good point. The one reason I can think of to do a physical release would be for your collectors out there. Digital is fine for convenience, but you can't display it the same way. But that wouldn't, to your point, preclude them from also offering it digitally.
Maybe, in a fight for shelf space, Nintendo is aiding in a physical release in order to have one more product in stores to entice comsumers.
Or, it was all just an oversight in the announcement.