Nintendo's McDonald's Toys Are Rather Popular With South Koreans

Posted by Damien McFerran

Super size Mii

McDonald's Nintendo-themed Happy Meal toys are pretty awesome — as you'll know if you watched our unboxing of the ones recently sold in the UK — but it would seem that South Korea is going totally mad for these attractive lumps of plastic.

Kotaku has been tipped off that early this morning, queues began to form at McDonald's restaurants up and down the country due to the launch of new Mario toys.

In case you were wondering, these are the toys that are driving South Koreans to consume vast amounts of processed meat (cat and Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition not included):

Some restaurants have been cleaned out entirely of the toys, which could indicate that Nintendo's brand is pretty strong in this region — or that Koreans just really like burgers.

[via kotaku.com]

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Aw man, so jealous they got the Peach figure that skipped the UK. I love how when South Korea likes something, they REALLY like it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wow, all of that just for those simple Mario toys, though I like Penguin Mario and Boomerang Mario. I never realized Nintendo was that popular in South Korea.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I missed the chance to nab the UK toys TWICE!! I forgot to order a happy meal both times, doh!
Also, Splatoon for smash!!

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

We're gonna need a fresher way to say "Only in South Korea." It's in danger of becoming cliche.

ekreig

ekreig said:

Can't blame them. If my McDonald's carried toys like that, I would certainly go there and attempt to choke down some of their food.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I wish my local restaurant would get them in. I live in South Korea and my McDonalds has never had them.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

My son is wants that Penguin Mario so bad! And maybe im biased but every Yoshi toy to me is awesome.

Hmmmm makes me wonder whats going to happen when they release their "Amiibo" line up? The possibilities make me wonder if Nintendo really kicked themselves for initially turning down The Skylanders idea at the beginning

Nintendofan83

Nintendofan83 said:

I'm shocked at a few things. 1) Why aren't these amazing toys in the US or Canada? We had things like this growing up and people flocked to them. 2) I'm surprised these are so popular in South Korea. Traditionally, Playstation and PC games rule supreme in South Korea (I lived there for 5 years so I'm not speaking out my $%#). 3) They may be cute, but are they actually good quality toys? Can't imagine so….line ups? Wow! The Big N is on fire!

Inkling

Inkling said:

Cat in background. WHY U NO HAVE CAT MARIO TOY?

Seriously though, these are pretty cool. :)

AkDeath

AkDeath said:

Hopefully they're just buying it for the toys and throwing that disgusting "food" in the trash rather than eating it.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Does anyone know how the Wii u is selling in Is korea?? I would assume well looking at this

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Weird because the last time I remember the Wii Us are hardly selling in Korea. hmmm.

iphys

iphys said:

That's crazy. No wonder Nintendo is going into the amiibo business. Way easier to sell a piece of plastic junk than spend months and months programming fancy games barely anyone cares about.

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

This article made me smile for several reasons:
1) These South Koreans are SO enthusiastic and I love it.
2) This is unexpected.
3) That cat in the background of that picture is priceless.

tbaren

tbaren said:

@ULTRA-64 There are no Korean Wii Us yet. Nobody even knows about them here. You can only buy Japanese ones, but only in specialty gaming places. I had mine shipped from the US.

4estGump

4estGump said:

Can I get a mod to oversee some of these "crazy South Koreans" jokes? I find them a bit racist considering I'm from South Korea. but have lived in the States almost all of my life. If you want to call Koreans crazy, look further north of Seoul.

BTW We all don't eat dogs or cats either.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

@Nintendofan83 Sony is big because until recently, Nintendo didn't have strong presence in Korea so games were either in English or Japanese. However, Nintendo finally opened up a Korean branch and many games are localised. Many kids love the DS. 3DS came out here two years ago too. Wii U isn't here yet unless it's a Japanese import for some reason.