Nintendo Supported Our Vision The Most, Says Devil's Third Maker Valhalla Game Studio

Posted by Damien McFerran

"As far as boundaries go, there was nothing they told us we couldn’t do"

Devil's Third was perhaps one of the biggest surprises of Nintendo's E3. Previously announced by THQ as a PS3 and 360 title, its future was thrown into doubt when the publisher went under. Nintendo was the company which picked it up, and now the game will be hitting the Wii U as an exclusive release.

Speaking to Game Informer, Valhalla Game Studio's Yoshifuru Okamoto has been talking about how the two firms became involved with one another:

When we became independent as Valhalla Game Studio, I feel like we were able to pull together a lot of people who really loved games. We were very fortunate in that regard. But after THQ collapsed, we found ourselves needing a partner. We talked to lots of different people, but the ones who understood what we were challenging ourselves to do, who most supported our vision was Nintendo. Really it was about the people involved working together well.

Thankfully, we’ve been able keep a lot of people who were instrumental in building the game from the beginning together, including former members of THQ, like Mr. Danny Bilson. I think what was most important in putting that team together, was that everyone had the same passion and love for the project.

Okamoto also revealed that Nintendo hasn't placed any restrictions on the title when it comes to violent content:

As far as boundaries go, there was nothing they told us we couldn’t do. I think that we had some interesting differences of opinion, but they were all very much grounded in a mutual respect.

The Wii U GamePad was also up for discussion. It would seem that the second screen function will be utilised in a similar way to how DICE used tablet devices in Battlefield 4:

Actually we do have some GamePad usage in multiplayer. As you know, the setting of this game is this fallen state – a chaotic war that has broken out between different factions across North America. Among those different factions, one of the things that is going to lead to victory is the ability to share information, so we use the GamePad as a communication tool. So you will be doing, among other things, calling in air-strikes and sharing information with squad members. It’s something you can imaging the commander on the battlefield holding to give orders.

Finally, Okamoto was quizzed about the possibility of Nintendo costumes in the game, something we've seen in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Bayonetta:

Is Devil's Third high on your hit list of future Wii U games? Let us know by posting a lethal volley of comments below.

[via gameinformer.com]

edhe

edhe said:

Good Lord, I'd never thought I hear the F work in a Nintendo exclusive! Is this a first?

erv

erv said:

It really looks and sounds like something I want to play, especially in motion. I didn't expect that to be honest.

I love me a hard rocking, blade fighting, carnage inducing protagonist. Yep, buying.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

"I’d love to use something like that, but the game is so violent I’m not sure they’d let us."
...But you just said...
"As far as boundaries go, there was nothing they told us we couldn’t do."
lol

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

"I’d love to use [Nintendo Character costumes], but the game is so violent I’m not sure they’d let us."
cough Bayonetta 1+2 cough cough cough

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

"Myeh. Nintendo isn't hardcore. They only do kiddie games. Hurr-de-durr!"

Nintendo: "F*** you, here's Devil's Third."

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

A really awesome thought just passed my mind...THQ, eh? What if Nintendo also got Darksiders? :D

AndyWARbear

AndyWARbear said:

It's different from every other game in my collection, so that's a big "yes" for me. That online has so much possibility, hopefully there's good ongoing support and a devoted online community.
Caveat: I hope they polish up the collision detection and make the character animation more fluent. It's unfinished so I give it the benefit of the doubt.

Videogamer123

Videogamer123 said:

Hey I know this has nothing to do with the article but im just curious to see if someone did. Did anybody hear about the new zelda news? How Zelda U's game world is supposed to be almost as big as Kyoto?

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

More and more developers keep saying this. Either Nintendo has learned its lesson and changed its ways or the guys that claimed Nintendo was too hard to work with were lying all along.

AndyWARbear

AndyWARbear said:

@Videogamer123 I did read something about Aonuma referring to the issues in getting from one place in Kyoto to another, how you need to plan the trip. And how's he's attempting to implement that feeling into the new Zelda game. It gives a sense of scope/size but nothing definitive. Unless you were referring to another article, which is quite possible :)

DrwngInBrwngs

DrwngInBrwngs said:

This game looks flat out bad. I know it's a tad too early to tell, but it reeks of corporate box-ticking in the vein of "Secure offensive pseudo-adult content for Wii U"--check.

The gratuitous butt shot at the end of the trailer makes me weep and there's hardly anything coherent about the trailer (why is a mercenary also a drummer? In what way could that possibly be important?).

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm definitely interested in the persistent online world, so whether or not it's a buy depends upon the single-player story.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

@ToniK Ssshh.

Every Nintendo exclusive with curse words will always be the first, because Nintendo could never promote games with bad language.

PorllM

PorllM said:

@Xiao_Pai Yeah but that quote about boundaries was in regards to the content of the game and violence, nudity and swearing etc.

The part about Nintendo costumes is different since it's Nintendo's own IPs, they might be happy to have a violent game exclusively on their console but I doubt they'd be quite as fond of seeing Mario and Peach slicing people in half and stuff haha.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@CaviarMeths
I'd say its likely the former. Nintendo has gotten better at this stuff over the years, and even if not every complain isn't completely true hearing them enough times makes you take a good look at yourself.

I'm sure a lot of it was though, Nintendo is pretty hush-hush about a lot of things, and being turned away can be frustrating. But like most things not every complaint probably wasn't completely honest.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

This one is definitely on my radar, though I didn't expect it to be. I'm mainly interested in the online modes. I am concerned by these comments, though. I might be one of a very select few hanging out online. Maybe I'll have a whole section of the country to myself! How lonely...

AJ_Lethal

AJ_Lethal said:

@jd45 It's a Tomonobu Itagaki game, gratuitous fanservice and over the top characters are expected from him.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@jd45 I feel similar about a lot of the things you said but check out the multiplayer treehouse coverage. It looked like a spiritual successor to timesplitters with new concepts.

manic221

manic221 said:

@Tsurii897 They didn't norwegian games got Darksiders. Aswell as Red Faction

On subject it's great to hear how good Nintendo have been with the developers supporting there console. This a game i never heard about until the announcement on IGN's post show stream and it looks great the gaphics aren't as polished as Bayonetta 2 but still it looks fine.

It's another one i'm going to pick up i think there could be a lot of fun in it :)

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

Im very excited about this game especially after watching the Treehouse Live because honestly the trailer doesnt do the game that much justice if u ask me.

But it's a bit annoying the way the interviewer asked its questions…makes me feel like even though this game has awesome concepts people are just slamming it b/c its on the Wii U…so who cares about gameplay b/c the graphics just look outdated…its disheartening to know there's a large amount of gamers who dont play games to have fun but to say it looks so pretty

Buduski

Buduski said:

@WanderingPB, yeah a lot of people are slamming this game because it needs more "polish" and it hasen't even been released yet, but in all honesty I'm just hopeing for awesome gameplay mechanics and a good online experience

Shambo

Shambo said:

@edhe Madworld, No More Heroes (the first one got ported though), HotD Overkill (also, got ported afterwards), Killer 7 (again...) and I'm not sure, but maybe Deadly Creatures, Geist,...

On topic: I'm really looking forward to this game, as most of the aforementioned titles are amongst my favourite games ever, and they all have some things in comon with this game. Nintendo costumes would perhaps be a bit out of place indeed, but still... Using a Master Sword as blade, Fire Flower as grenades, and Phazon Cannon as a gun wouldn't be bad :D

edhe

edhe said:

@Shambo Now I feel silly. I own both No More Heroes games, but I haven't personally played Madworld and Eternal Darkness.

Maybe it's the first instance of the MF bomb. Prove me wrong, everybody...

As for the game itself, I hadn't heard anything about it prior to the E3 reveal (which I couldn't see first hand). It's telling that it was previously an Xbox 360/PS3 game - Nintendo would never have been able to snag a game like that if if was heading for the Xbox One or PS4 - Sony or Microsoft wouldn't have let a game go like that.

More for us then, I'll look out for it, but like I said, having not followed the other consoles last generation, I knew very nothing about the game. It looks violent.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@Buduski i agree im looking forward to seeing and hearing more about Devil's Third after what i saw at the Treehouse live this is a project that u can tell Valhalla is very passionate about and that i believe will definitely be in the game

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Yeah I maaayyyy have to get this game. I really hope this means that some more adult yet outside-the-box games are coming to Wii U. Hopefully more Darksiders.(?)

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

I don't know. The game looks interesting, but it looks like a parody of western games with an eastern flair. The player control character looks like a joke.

Cigarettes aren't cool anymore, Japan.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Bayonetta 1+2 is very violent to but I get what he is saying. The difference between these two is that this game in Multiplayer has you killing each other which Bayonetta 2 I think doesn't let you do. This would seem a bit extreme

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

At first I thought it looked silly, well I still do, but the customization and especially making your own levels made me intrigued.

I am only worried about the auto aim and I need Wiimote or gyro aiming options.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on Devil's Third. I was a skeptic when it first debuted, but after watching its Nintendo Treehouse digital event I can say I am relatively sold on it. It also helps that I am a pretty big fan of asian influences in games. At the very least, it looks like a break from the standard shooter game, if you can even call it that. The melee is what sets this one apart for me.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

I'd play with a Captain Falcon costume in this game, or maybe some hilarious fox ears and a tail with Fox's clothes.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm sorry I just can't handle this game, it's just far too violent. I like to support exclusives where I can but this is just too much. I'm probably going to buy Bayonetta 1 + 2 just to support the game but not play it much haha.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Can't wait to hear more about it... it looks like something that needs to be in my Wii U

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@kensredemption Red Steel was rated T, and I don't think he meant there has never been a really violent game that was exclusive to a Nintendo console, he just said this one was too much for him.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

@Dpullam Yeah I will be keeping my eye on this one. It is very much an over the top action game, and I normally don't play too many of those. Though if the gameplay is good I will likely get it anyway, once reviews are in just to be safe.

Videogamer123

Videogamer123 said:

@AndyWARbear oh thanks for clearing that up because although some of the articles did say he way referring to the game size, it never really seemed that he was referring to the size of the game world. Thanks

Donutman

Donutman said:

@edhe with games like manhunt 2 or no more hereos, I doubt it. But yes, it's very rare for games like this to be in a Nintendo. But, manhunt 2 was on wii and it was a good game even.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

No More Heroes and MadWorld are two of my favorite Wii games. Both are ridiculously over-the-top killfests from developers with strong, unique personalities. Devil's Third can be described the same way, so it is automatically on my radar. Perhaps Itagaki won't be to my taste like Suda and Platinum, but I'm eager to find out.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@mamp oh yes it is! Actually, its more violent than this. Here its a little subtle. A cut through the chest (samurai fasion) is a lot less violent than throwing somebody into an mummy's chamber to get impaled and swallowed by it.

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

@Tsurii897 that would be an awesome thing to do if nintendo had darksiders 3 as wii u exclusive, it would be so epic that sony and microsoft would almost throw in the towel and 3rd parties would poopiedoodoocacapoopledoopledoggiepoople bricks, have massive boners and start developing games for wii u left and right, no gimp versions and no half-donkeying, then again its only a dream
Please watch the profanity — TBD

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Also remember Nintendo help Rare made Conker's Bad Fur Day for the Nintendo 64 then Microsoft came along and ruin it with their version on the Xbox.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@edhe In Madworld, one enemy type (the standard punks) would say it all the time ;) House of the Dead came very close if I remember correctly, saying 'Mother (space) f***'. No more Heroes used the word also (had to look it up).

mamp

mamp said:

@SamirMalik Yeah but you don't see what's going on inside the mummy chamber as opposed to actually slicing up your opponent and seeing every bit of graphic detail.

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@mamp What about the boss climax? How about being chewed on again and again and again until there's bits and pieces of you all over the floor from what was not swallowed?

mamp

mamp said:

@SamirMalik I guess I'm comparing Bayonetta to other games like God of War and No More Heroes. I'm not saying that Bayonetta isn't violent but it still has ways to go to reach certain other games that are out there.