Nintendo Game Seminar Confirmed for Japan, Focused on 2D Unity Games

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

An opportunity for students to learn from the best

Through the Wii U eShop, in particular, Nintendo has been doing a good job of accommodating and supporting smaller developers. Its Nintendo Web Framework allows for games produced through code such as HTML5, while supporting and offering a free Unity License can certainly be credited as bringing a lot of titles to the platform that — in some cases — may not have otherwise been ported across.

The store has seen a fair few developers making their commercial début on the system, and Nintendo is clearly keen to encourage younger programmers to do just that. It's announced the Nintendo Game Seminar in Japan — last year it was set up to encourage young programmers to use the Nintendo Web Framework — and this year is focused on 2D games created through the Unity engine. Open to university students in the Tokyo metropolitan or Kansai region, it'll run from August this year to March 2015 and allow the lucky entrants substantial access and support in learning more about using the tool-set; those taking part will attend lectures, receive access to development equipment and even have an opportunity to work with some Nintendo staff.

Students must apply between 16th - 29th June and can visit the official website for terms and details on travel expenses — those that are successful with be grouped into teams of seven for the process.

It's certainly a great opportunity for those that take part, and hopefully in the future similar programmes will be rolled out in the West.

[via nintendo.co.jp, polygon.com]

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

"hopefully in future similar programmes will be rolled out in the West"

That we do hope for. :)

...and, shouldn't there be a the in between 'in' and 'future'? Ha.

Yai

Yai said:

What I don't understand is why the logo is in English even though it is exclusive to Japan. I would love to take part in something like this though,

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

What I like about this is that they are tapping into the potential of the next generation of programmers and developers.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Doesn't matter if the end result cannot be published.

The best Japanese indie developer is Edelweiss. (The quality is so much higher than the Western equivalents bother with.)

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I like the sounds of this as the indie scene needs some more Japanese love. There are so many western indie games based on genres that Japanese developers dominated in the 80s/90s (2D platformers, turn based RPGs, etc), it'd be cool to see things go full circle.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Ugg, I'm soo jealous!!!

Believe it or not, I've been brushing up on my web application and Unity skills lately. ;)

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I for one am looking very forward to more SNES era style 2D platformers/RPGs/adventure games to populate the eShop in the foreseeable future thanks to this program. Can only imagine if some of these young developers are given something cool like Star Fox 2, F-Zero 2, or god forbid a real sequel to Super Mario World.

I realize that is not what the article is saying, but it's what I took away from reading it.

edit before it is said, I know Star Fox 2 exists. I have played it, but I want to actually have a 100 percent complete english version that's not the result of an IPS patch.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Wow, if I was an aspiring developer living in Japan I would so be up for this! The chance to speak with Nintendo devs would be priceless!

Pod

Pod said:

Quite amazing how far Unity has come. It really is a great tool though, so it's well deserved.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Wish there was one of these in Yorkshire :-) I'm currently trying to learn how to make games in unity, been 15 years since I last did any coding and so far it's surprisingly easy. Would love to try and get a game on a Nintendo platform if I can figure it all out properly over the next couple of months while I have time to get the basics down.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Unity is a free PC/Mac download (to develop for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android) and there are tons of resources to learn it. If you are interested just go for it. http://unity3d.com The official Learn section linked to from the home page has been growing quickly and is very well done.