Masahiro Sakurai Teases Trophy Rush Mini-Game For Super Smash Bros.

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"Quite a bit different from Coin Launcher in Super Smash Bros. Brawl."

With its arrival now confirmed to be around three and a half months away, we can expect more firm details on Super Smash Bros. for 3DS to filter through in the coming weeks. We'll get a sense of how fully featured it is in comparison to its eventual Wii U partner, though to date we already know of online options and the rather fun Smash Run mode.

There'll be a mix of differences and areas that match up across both platforms, and we're unsure of where Masahiro Sakurai's latest reveal stands. Whether for the 3DS version or both, he has used today's 'pic of the day' to highlight a new mini-game that'll feature on the portable - Trophy Rush. You can see Sakurai-san's comment and the screen below.

Pic of the day. Here's a new mini-game that's quite a bit different from Coin Launcher in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It's called Trophy Rush! The details…will be kept secret for now.

Details truly are being kept under wraps as there isn't even a follow-up post with a second screen. Based on what we can see perhaps the player has to arrange falling boxes, Tetris-style, or smash through the environment to grab trophies.

Were you a fan of the Coin Launcher in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? How do you think this new mini-game will work? Let us know.

Related Games

Kosmo

Kosmo said:

Good to have a sort of combat style thingy. The Coin Toss was getting really old after a while...

Mega719

Mega719 said:

You can see it in it in the Digital Event trailer maybe you're suppose to avoid the falling objects then collect the trophies that appear

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Looks cool. This is my most anticipated game this October. Will be my first Smash Bros game.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

was interested until I read "details on Super Smash Bros. for 3DS". I hope the Wii U gets stuff and game modes like this. I have the feeling the Wii U version is going to flop unless it gets some cool stuff.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

@Mega719 You mean something like this game except with collecting stuff at the same time?
If so, then cool. Because that was one of my favourite flash games when I was younger. I found it addictive and I could see myself playing a Smash Bros version for AGES

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

Looks really cool! I'm wondering if there will be another Smash Direct before the 3DS version is out that is focused on the 3DS version, and when the 3D version is out one for the Wii U ver. I hope it happens!

Nintendo_Ninja

Nintendo_Ninja said:

Anything having to do with trophies is great. I was addicted to getting achievements and trophies in Brawl.

Blast

Blast said:

... Focus on the Wii U version more, Sakurai... That's the version that NEEDS to sell well.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Soaks up 3DS version details

Not saying you guys don't have a right to complain and worry about the Wii U version, but I'm so happy for all this 3DS stuff, not being a Wii U owner.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I wonder if the Wii U version will even have an Adventure mode (3DS does, shown in trailer). Way too much focus on the 3DS version overall so far.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@Grumblevolcano of course there's more focus on the 3DS one, it comes out sooner. I'm sure there's plenty of exclusive content for the Wii U version but much of it will likely not be shown until after the 3DS version comes out.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@UnseatingKDawg I'm guessing the 3DS version will have less (I believe they said the trophies will be different) just like how it has less music. It has less music than Brawl even so I expect less trophies than Brawl. The Wii U version probably will have more.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@Blast the way Sakurai is doing it is fine enough the 3DS version is getting more details because it's coming first, he's got more time to tease Wii U game modes so he's sticking with Priorities. Better than ignore the 3DS version as a whole and let it sell poorly cause not enough hype was built up prior to release

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

I'm sorry but am I the only one who isn't interested in smash run or modes like this? I'd rather jump into thefight than run around a large maze before hand.

Shadraw

Shadraw said:

I will enjoy it as long as there is never another gumball machine for trophies. I did enjoy the coin launcher but I can agree that it did get boring after a while.

Yai

Yai said:

Looks good. The coin launcher wasn't exactly that fun in Brawl. I do hope the Wii U version is going to get some of these features or at least something big to make up for not getting Smash Run.

Inkling

Inkling said:

I'm guessing Sakurai's holding back on the Wii U version's details for now.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

Sakurai, please talk more about the Wii U version. 3DS owners are spoiled enough already.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is releasing first. Sakurai should talk about that version a bit more if he wants it to sell well by stirring interest and hype.

This new trophy mode looks a bit more engaging than the Coin Launcher, which was a decent, little game, but wasn't exactly a thrill ride, though I like the smooth music that played in the background. In this mode, it looks like you have to collect as many trophies and coins as possible while avoiding or destroying boxes and obstacles that would make you fall off to and be KO'ed, ending your playtime.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

What if it's like a Smash Bros. version of Super Puzzle Platformer? That would be really cool!