GameCube-Style Wii U Controller, the WaveDash, Seeks Kickstarter Funding

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's wireless and will act like a Wii U Pro Controller

Not long ago Nintendo excited a lot of loyal fans by unveiling The GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U, the reveal of which was tied with details of the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Invitational at E3 2014. Of course, that's all about plugging in existing controllers, and a company from LA has hit Kickstarter to promote its own wireless GameCube-style alternative for Nintendo's current console.

It's called the WaveDash, quite clearly taking inspiration from the Wavebird yet blending in more modern touches — it has two full size clickable analogue sticks, two dual bumpers (which aren't specified as analogue), an internal battery charged via USB and is wireless; you can see a prototype below.

It's a project that faces a major challenges, not least due to its ambitious $399,000 goal, which the company states is to ensure quality in the final product. In an update it's also addressed the obvious factor of Nintendo's recent announcement:

The adapter is what a lot of people were asking for, the ability to use GameCube controllers on the Wii U. As a gamer, I am happy Nintendo was able to listen to their fans. 7 months ago, we were not too sure that would happen.

At that time we started looking into the cost of doing it ourselves, and what we would want from it. Compatibility was a huge part of that. So we made sure to update the analog sticks to “clickable’ along with being full size, a larger D-pad for classic play, and wireless. Any Wii U game that supports the WiiU Pro Controller, The WaveDash will function with.

That last point is a key selling point, as this controller has that GameCube vibe while it'll work with any game that supports the Wii U Pro Controller.

Check out the pitch video below and let us know what you think.

[via kickstarter.com]

Yosher

Yosher said:

Oh my God that thing looks ugly. And why name it after this technique anyways? Screw wavedashing.

And why is this necessary anyway? Not really something I can see gaining a lot of support right now.

jdarrell

jdarrell said:

When was the last time there was a 3rd party controller that didn't have significant quality problems?

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Ha if this thing came out when the GameCube was still around then I would be very excited for it as I want a GameCube controller with that bigger d-pad but nowadays there are better alternatives and Nintendo is giving us the privilege of using our original GameCube for Super Smash Bros. 4 anyways so I don't see the need for another clone controller.

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

Since Nintendo is officially supporting the Gamecube controller now, this will probably bomb... HARD.

Corleonis88

Corleonis88 said:

I don´t think that L and R will be analogue. The wii u pro controller doesn´t have them like that, so adding that feature would be useless since the wii u wouldn´t know how to handle it

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

A third party crowd sourced wireless controller that violates Nintendo's patents, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Why do you think that all those third party controllers looked different from the official controllers?

pixelman

pixelman said:

I actually really dig the Pro Controller so I can't say I'm that interested in this. Wish 'em luck though.

Ronoh

Ronoh said:

Absolutely not.
1) No need for this
2) $400,000 is too high
3) The company has no history of successfully completing anything

Kirk

Kirk said:

I don't understand why anyone would want the GC's face button arrangement over the more universally adopted diamond formation.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

I don't think analog triggers would make a difference anyway, since games would need to be designed with them in mind. As far as I know, no Wii U controllers have analog trigger functions, save for the original Classic Controller.

Yosher

Yosher said:

@SockoMario I know full well how useful wavedashing is. I just don't like the technique. I can perform it perfectly well, but it makes the characters look like androids rather than the characters I know and love and THAT is what bothers me about it.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Did they get mom & dad to do the spray painting?
What an awful look. this is hands down thee' ugliest controller i've ever seen :P All-white buttons was a bad idea, you can't even see the the letter indentations.
Pukes*

Nintendo needs to release something like this >
Untitled

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

@Kirk

Because that Big A button just feels too damn good to press. ;)
I welcomed the unique 4 button layout(including the bean buttons) rather than cut and pasting the generic 4 diamond layout that Sony and MS have been doing for years. The real problem lies with the mini stiff d-pad. Nintendo keeps changing the game, giving us new control scheme/layouts that make things feel new and next gen rather than those twins who constantly regurgitate the same controller with minuscule alterations each year. Hardly exciting me thinks.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@RupeeClock

Violates Nintendo's patents? I'd wager they're not violating anything, since 3rd party controllers are everywhere, on every console, many of them looking identical to the official controllers.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Wave Bird is the best controller ever (even has the best controller NAME ever), closely followed by the Wii U Pro Controller. With the adapter coming, and rechargeable batteries, my Wave Bird will do just fine.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@LegendaryQ

It's ugly because it's a prototype. Obviously the finished product will be more aesthetically pleasing.

Rendered useless because of the upcoming Gamecube adapter? Eh, I disagree. Sure, Nintendo's bringing the Gamecube adapter, BUT, what games will be compatible with the GC controller? Cause thus far, not a single game has that compatibility. Which is where this controller shines. It's recognized as a pro controller, so you could use it on every game in the library right now, and every game that we see for the next 5 years. Whereas the GC adapter will only be useful for Smash and, if we're lucky, a few other select titles they decide to integrate GC controller compatibility.

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

@kirk I can't speak for everyone, but I actually prefer the Gamecube layout over the standard diamond format.

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

I never liked the ABXY button layout for the Cube controller. Going back to the diamond layout was one of the best things Nintendo did.

TheWhiteFalcon

TheWhiteFalcon said:

@WaveBoy

I really like that mockup. That being said, the GC controller always threw me off. I could switch between the DualShock, Controller S, and 360 pads without issue. But if I used the GC controller I had troubles going back to the others.

therealmario101

therealmario101 said:

Am I the only one who dislikes it when shoulder buttons are referred to as bumpers? I guess its nothing I've ever heard anywhere but on the clearly labeled X-Box controllers. I've always heard them called trigger buttons, or shoulder buttons, or simply L and R. Why in the hell is everyone suddenly calling them bumpers? Forgive me for being salty, but I hold a strong hatred for anything that reminds me of X-Box related stuff.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I never liked the GC controller..not at all. I owned a GameCube and really enjoyed the games, but I was never able to play more than 1-2h on it, because of that clunky, uncomfortable controller. I know I'm in a minority here - and I guess even less people would agree with me that the GamePad is WAY more comfortable to hold for longer sessions - but that's how I always felt about it shrug

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Getting burned by poor quality 3rd party peripherals is a gaming rite of passage, and anyone that lived through the Gamecube generation and prefers that controller has already gone through that passage. Pretty much the entire target audience for a Wii U Gamecube controller is going to be skeptical.

Besides, this is pretty redundant now that Nintendo has announced an official first party Gamecube controller adapter.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

It's cool that they attempt this, especially since a full wireless GC controller with all buttons it misses to be fully WiiU-compatible makes more sense than the adapter Nintendo is aiming for.
But I'm not sure if I actually want to pay for that, since I imagine the price to be pretty hefty...

EDIT: Okay, looked at the kickstarter page. 44$ for early birds and 50$ regular is actually pretty damn affordable. Just the high shipping costs outside of the US bother me.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@WaveBoy

The button layout was an interesting idea in principle but in reality there's some games where having that particular layout doesn't/wouldn't quite work, such as in certain fighting games where you might need to normally press two particular buttons at once with one thumb (B+Y to throw in a game like Virtua Fighter for example). Or even in one of Nintendo's own games like Super Mario World where you normally rock your thumb back and forth over the Y and B buttons, with the top of your thumb pressing down on Y continually and the bottom part rocking onto B as and when you want to jump, so you can effectively run and jump at the same time. Whereas with the traditional diamond formation you can do basically any combination used in any game to date.

Nintendo created the potential for incompatibility with certain games by default, or at least the need for developers to either remap their controls or add in options for the player to do so etc (with potential situations where even remapping might not give the specific options required to perform all the moves the way you would be expected to), where it wouldn't have existed at all if it had just stuck with the diamond formation, that it popularized in the first place.

@Dreamz

Well maybe that's because you're not thinking about the bigger picture (see my comment right above this one, to WaveBoy). There would have been no potential issues just sticking with the traditional diamond formation, that everyone else has adopted and already designed their games around at this point, but Nintendo just had to go against the grain even though in reality it didn't really serve any benefit, apart from maybe making things even more simplified and explicitly clear for noobs and casuals (big green A button for Yes/Action/Accept/Go and smaller red B button for No/Reject/Back), and in some cases could lead to potential conflicts.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@therealmario101 totally agree. I was playing a 360 game a few years back with a friend and the game was telling me to use the "bumpers", and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the hell those were.
They're forever shoulder buttons to me.

Kirk

Kirk said:

If you Kickstarter guys actually read the comments on sites like this, I'd suggest you either go with the more standard diamond formation for the face buttons, since there's actually times where this particular layout may cause issues in certain games. Or actually go with the specific face button design on the early GC controller prototype below, where the B button is actually the same kidney shape as the other face buttons around the central A button:

I personally don't really see the need to have the B button be much smaller than the other buttons and keeping it the same kidney shape as X and Y means you can more easily and naturally rock back and forth from the main A button to any of the surrounding buttons.

PS. Also; why not actually go with the color arrangement on the traditional GC controller because I think that's a lot more visually appealing than just plain white buttons, which looks bland and slightly amateur imo, and specifically have the A button green for Accept/Go and the B button red for Back/Stop because this actually makes good sense and is very clear to the user.

A little more color in general never did anyone any harm...

Also; make the think matte for Christ's sake! The shiny looks so cheap, tacky and is a finger print and dust magnet.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Perfect timing :P
Also, i see the following problems: Like they said, the controller will likely act as a classic pro controller, meaning that the OS will expect the same deadzones from the analog sticks. They updated the C-Stick so that it has a round casing, but the left stick still has an angular casing.
In a worst case scenario this will mean, that you can only achive "full tilt" in a definite position (Up, Down, Left, Right and diagonals) and everything in between will result in a half tilt,
I had such a problem back in the PS1 days, which was one of the reasons i stay FAR away from 3rd party peripherals.
Also, if nintendo is planning to use the GCN ports for "other things" (cough GCN VC cough) it probably wont recognize the analog shoulder buttons.

Im sorry for these guys, but that project is pretty much dead.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

@Kirk Diamond layout would completely obliterate the purpose of this. This controller, as well as the official Gamecube controller, is for people who PREFER the large A button layout. If you don't prefer that layout, there's already a controller for you: the Wii U Pro Controller.

MAB

MAB said:

I use the more superior Gamepad for everything anyway... Normal controllers aren't Next Gen enough and are way too small for my big hands ;)

shattacrew

shattacrew said:

Somehow I don't believe Nintendo is making that GameCube controller adapter solely for smash bros. I think they will bring back some GameCube classics and if this controller will be identified as a Wii u pro controller then it would be completely useless for that purpose.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Good idea, but Nintendo needs to make this to ensure its quality and compatibility is in line with all their controllers. Nobody makes controllers like Nintendo. Everything on a console pad was invented by Nintendo.

I can't understand why the initial wii u pro controller wasn't based on the wavebird in the first place, it looked, felt and seemed more like the appalling xbox 360 controller. Awful.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@Tsurii897 pretty sure you are the only person, less than a minority.

Gamecube controller was THE most ergonomic controller ever made in history and a zero element of "clunk" anywhere on it

pukka-pie

pukka-pie said:

@DESS-M-8 You're joking right? It's all cramped up, the shoulder buttons are awful and spongy, the Z button is the opposite, it's all clicky and tight. Nah, not a very good controller at all in my opinion.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@CaviarMeths

The Pro controller most certainly isn't for me because I can't reach the d-pad and face buttons comfortably, which goes to ergonomics, and it lacks analog triggers.

I would have figured the reason people would rather have the general GC controller design was more that they thought the analog triggers were a great fix for an unnecessary omission in the Pro Controller and also that they preferred the GC controller's superior ergonomic design, rather than it having anything to do with that particular face button layout to be honest.

The triggers and ergonomics of the GC controller actually add to the overall controller design but the face buttons just limit it slightly imo. Unless you seriously consider having one button be bigger than the rest as being more important than having a button layout that actually supports more games naturally.

To me it would be the same if the guys making this new controller that's inspired by the GC controller had omitted the second shoulder/bumper button just because the original GC controller lacked one, even though adding that second shoulder/bumper button is clearly an improvement on that original design.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@pukka-pie

In terms of the pure ergonomics of the actual controller shape (the shell itself), the GC is the most ergonomically comfortable first party home console controller in existence.

Just try holding any other controller in it's default grip position and compare how the feel side by side (without moving to other random buttons or whatever; just that default grip and how natural and comfortable it is)...

Nothing even touches the GC controller in terms of the ergonomics of it's shape, except things like the center prong of the N64 controller and the Wii Nunchuck for example and this is because they are basically the same shape as the GC controller's handles.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

@Kirk "Why anyone would choose a controller design that keeps or even introduces certain unnecessary limitations rather them fix existing ones, is beyond me."

That's what I said. This controller isn't for you. It's for the millions of people who prefer the Gamecube controller. You don't have to understand it. Frankly, neither does Nintendo or anyone producing 3rd party controllers. They just need to understand that there is a market for it.

But with Nintendo covering this market themselves, it seems pretty pointless to crowdfund this. It's solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Subie98

Subie98 said:

If I was going to get a wii u gamecube type controller it would need to be pretty much exactly like what waveboy posted. Im fine with my corded gc ones with the wire extension

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

The face buttons on the Gamecube controller are fine, really. I actually rather like the layout because it's pretty simple to get a good feel of where the buttons are and which ones do what in the game. It was bad for the Wii VC, but that was more a matter of Nintendo not supporting custom control mappings over anything else.

The controller itself, of course, is incredibly comfortable to hold as well. And I prefer having the face buttons sitting over the right stick because it's generally more comfortable. The main reason I want to use it, though, is for Smash Bros- anything else is a bonus, quite frankly.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

I'm all for retro stuff. It sounds like a neat idea, but personally I hated the d-pad on that controller. Horrible for fighting games in my opinion. It was so tiny, and the D-pad is what i use for precise input on any fighting game (hence why i hate Xbox controllers). Otherwise i love it. I just think the Wii U gamepad and controller pro are the ultimate controllers for me. I wish these guys the best though.

pukka-pie

pukka-pie said:

@Kirk As if that matters when you have at least 3 buttons that are either horrible to press or as is the case with Z both horrible to press and a stretch to reach.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@pukka-pie

Well if you wrap a set of decent buttons around that basic GC controller shape then you basically have the best "traditional" style controller ever made imo.

Personally, if I were designing a game controller, I'd move the shoulder buttons from above the triggers to the back of the grip handles (and they'd also be analog), so you pull them like bike brakes with all/one of your three fingers (not your index finger because that's used for the triggers, which would probably be digital in my design since the brake grips would already be analog), and that way your trigger fingers also never have to move from the triggers. I'd also just go with the standard diamond formation for the face buttons.

Well, actually, if I were REALLY designing a controller it would be very different to what we have now but that's a whole different thing.

@CaviarMeths

Yes but are they REALLY choosing the GC controller because of that particular face button button layout?

If the original GC controller never had that particular face button layout (and more importantly became known as the de-facto Smash Bros controller) don't you think most of those same people would probably still prefer it?

I don't think the face buttons are what makes people want a GC controller and personally I also think the GC controller would be a superior controller with a set of standard diamond face buttons too (hence why I think they should go with that layout on this new controller).

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

Untitled That controller is ugly as hell. I mean why even fund when you can connect your old controllers to the Wii U, probaly even cheaper.

BoobooMama

BoobooMama said:

This seems like it has potential, but I really don't see them raising almost $400,000.

Mr_3DS

Mr_3DS said:

$399,000 :O

I mean, I don't think it's a bad idea...but they won't reach that...

Senario

Senario said:

Eh, Nintendo has an adapter for the gamecube controller on Wii U so problems solved. It would be cool if they came out with an updated model(wired and wireless) with a second z button on the left and a mic 3.5 jack. Or a hole like the gamepad. The gc controller layout and shape are great. And honestly I think the analog sticks foe the pro controller should have been like the gamecube ones in terms of placement. The buttons really are an either or. Gamecube works really well for zelda and smash but the diamond SNES shape works better for games like Monster hunter.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@pukka-pie I think it's you who's joking. Nothing is a stretch anywhere on that pad. PS3 and 360 are positioned no different. PS4 feels even worse. The gamecube pad design would need tweaking anyway, such as a fourth shoulder button, upsized right analogue and dpad. But the actual physicality of the pad which is where ergonomics comes in should remain the same. Nothing has come within the gamecube controllers since.

Chouzetsu

Chouzetsu said:

Looks kinda rough but I'm sure it will turn out okay :)
I'd buy it (if I had a Wii U)!

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Nintendo gamers don't just want quality Nintendo games they also want quality Nintendo controllers.

I don't like this.

Inkling

Inkling said:

I don't buy controllers that aren't official anymore, and this doesn't look very appealing. Ah well. :3

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Scanning through the comments, I think I'm the only Nintendo Life reader that would be interested in something like this. However, considering the newly-announced GameCube controller adapter I guess there wouldn't be a point to getting one.

Donutman

Donutman said:

@Emblem I have wii m+/chucks that were from china in an epackage, 4 for $40. Been working fine for 3 years now. No name brand...just says "motionplus". Even just used 2 for mario kart before this 😄

Luffy

Luffy said:

GC controller buttons seem weird but when you use it you realize its amazing. the big A button. That central position of a main button is awesome. Would work well with Mario Kart 8 and any Zelda ofcourse. Best controller ever! GC!