Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Forty Three

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mii Fighters! Pac-Man! Dr. Robotn... Eggman machine!

Super Smash Bros. creeps closer yet still seems far away, especially as Summer heat starts to kick in for some of us pasty-faced individuals in the northern hemisphere. We're drifting off-topic, yes, but doesn't change the fact that the next entry in the iconic franchise still remains tantalisingly out of reach.

Yet never mind, Masahiro Sakurai keeps posting images on his Director's Room Miiverse community to keep us all going; last week's pics showed us a little more of the Swordfighter Mii characters, with details on items, custom moves and enemies that'll pop up in the Smash Run mode on 3DS.

We think it's a pretty charming batch this week — check them out below and click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

16th June

17th June

18th June

19th June

20th June

We've made it so that customization options, including special attacks, will be disabled when you're playing online in With Anyone mode. After all, we have to think about game balance, and it's crucial for anonymous players to be able to use reliable tactics against one another. When you're playing in single player, battling with friends online, or playing locally, you're free to play however you want--with or without customization.

So, that was last week in the Smash Bros. Director's Room. Let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (292 votes)

The Mii Swordfighters show off some moves

12%

Eggrobo strikes a pose as its boss reminisces on his Robotnik days

14%

Pikachu makes a cameo in a sneak peak at Trophy Rush mode

Pac-Man really likes strawberries

23%

Luigi and Sheik feel the force of DK's Storm Punch

36%

Um, I can't decide

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for DK's Storm Punch and also the fact that every single fighter will have up to 12 special moves to choose from for a customized moveset. That's huge.

My second choice is the Mii Swordfight's special moves, as my Mii will most likely be a Swordfighter and the chakram and any of the other attacks being used at the same time is a neat fact. It also shows just how much effort Sakurai and his team are putting into the Mii Fighters.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Can't really decide between Eggrobo and DK's storm punch :/
You should do a "least favourite picture poll" for weeks with Pacman stuff. That'd be a lot easier for me :p

ikki5

ikki5 said:

My hype for this game is almost gone now... They announced this game way too early. Plus the lack of stuff into the Wii U version compared to the 3DS is a disappointment.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@ikki5 feeling the same. It's probably just me, but I felt like every newcomer felt..less exciting with only one exception: the Mii fighters. I really liked that idea until they said, they're offline only (or at least just for matches with friends), what killed my "hype" for them immediately. We already knew about Palutena months ago, but that's not really Sakurai's fault and Pacman...well :D

World

World said:

"Charge-time doubles past the orange"

Because, like, there are two of each fruit after that, right?

I am not sure if this is more adorable or awesome, but it's definitely both.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@ikki5 they won't show everything before release, Smash always hides a bunch of pleasant surprises for the players to find.
plus I bet the WiiU version has more content than the 3DS one they're just keeping it low because the 3DS version not only comes first but also seems to be far less popular.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@GuSolarFlare it's not the content that is the problem here, it is the length of time, the amount of stuff already show... like they have shown stuff every day for the last 43 weeks. Then there was a special direct for smash and then... E3... which again showed nothing new for Wii U (except for characters), only new for the 3DS. With them being a month apart from release, you'd think they'd show something that the Wii U has that the 3DS doesn't, not what the Wii u lacks compared to the 3DS version.

I for one probably won't get h 3DS one so I don't care. part of me questions if I should have this game pre-ordered now or not as it seems to be, just another smash game with less than the previous one. That is why my hype for this game is gone. There is nothing that has been shown that has been a "WOW" since the time they showed Megaman. Mii fighters were cool until they said they wont allow them online.

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Picked the DK Storm Punch. I love that special moves have three different versions now, that's a brilliant idea.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@ikki5 yeah, what I meant is that they're not showing much of the WiiU exclusive stuff because most people seem to care less about the 3DS version that might also be the reason for the WiiU version to come later, people that are too impatient(90% of the gamers :p ) won't want to wait for the WiiU version even if it's the only one they care about and wind up getting both.
or it also may be because Nintendo is japanese and japanese people don't buy too much home consoles anymore(from what I heard/read/seen) things like this happened before and many times Nintendo made obvious their focus on the japanese market.

Turbo857

Turbo857 said:

@ikki5

I don't think we heard all of the features in the Wii U version. I'm sure there'll be a few surprises. I'm still waiting for news on what advancements the level creator will have this time around.

mostro328

mostro328 said:

I cant wait im expecting a direct to talk about the wiiu features before its release

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'll take the Trophy Rush picture because it gives a little bit of information on a mode we (still) don't know much about. Sakurai, dat tease~

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I voted for the EggRobo. It caused me nothing but grief nearly every Act 2 boss fight in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

OMG I LOVE EGGROBOS! I always wanted them to come back! Thank you SSB! Nice to hear it'll be an actual enemy to, and not just a trophy. Nice to see a Sonic enemy. (Saw a Dig Dug one, and a Mega Man one already, was wondering if they'd have a Sonic one.)

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

voted for Eggrobo. I'm really liking the look of the trophies in this version, they look way better than I thought they would!

Rafie

Rafie said:

This game is shaping up to be one of the best games for Wii U. It seems as though it's packed with content. So much of it. I'm excited for the holidays this year!

erv

erv said:

The mii ones are awesome, but with the donkey kong screenshot and explanation I am a happy man.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

for everyone complaining about pac-man.

I agree, pac-man is a stupid choice for smash. the only "ball" form characters that are fit for smash are Jigglypuff and Kirby characters(unless you count samus, sonic and yoshi when they're using moves that make them become a ball, or egg in Yoshi's case)
thought I was going to ask you to stop complaining, huh? :p

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Customization and Miis... thank you for hearing me Sakurai. This is exactly what I asked for (along with better online) in the next SSB. Robotnik robots eh? I smell a new challenger approaching...

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@MeloMan sad thing I heard the customization won't be used/allowed in tournaments or the for glory mode... playing with anyone online other than friends :/

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@Turbo857

we haven't hear any of the features for the Wii U, the features the Wii U has are the same as the 3DS only the 3DS has more stuff in it than the Wii U. The only thing that the Wii U has is the amiibo but the 3DS will be able to use the amiibos at some point so the 3DS will get that feature too.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

Why do people want to see Miis online With Anyone mode? So stupid. 90% of the time, people are just going to use their stupid Miis instead of Nintendo characters. I'm extremely glad they won't be appearing in With Anyone mode.

@ikki5 They haven't annonced all the modes/features for the Wii U version. Be patient.

@GuSolarFlare You think Pac-Man is a stupid choice, because he's a "ball"? Okay...

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@SockoMario not because he's a ball, the ball argument was just a small joke, pac-man just doesn't feel right, even among characters like Kirby and Pikachu it's just weird(maybe if they made an approach similar to Mr.Game&Watch it could have been better, that pac-man feels soulless)
and about the Miis, the more Mii users the more Mii victims Marth will have under my control!!!! feel the power of a real character you Miis!!!!!!! think of them as the punching bags with the most obvious movesets, as soon as Mii users start losing in mass other characters will gain popularity.
sad thing I won't be able to claim the title of MMMMU(Mass Mii Murder Marth User) since they won't be playable with anyone online...

Ren

Ren said:

I can't wait for this game to come out!... so no one will be subjected to these ridiculous posts of screenshots for this tired overwrought fighting game anymore. it's like: take your favorite corny Nintendo characters and put them all in one more corny, button-mashing, street fighter, re-hash for brand obsessed, consumer, sheep. yay! brash capitalism and gaming unite!

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@Ren lol, you hate this game so much?
I mean the screenshots and character requests are getting old and tiring but I don't remember any Smash Bros. game being button-mashing or similar to street fighter(unless you truly think any 2D fighting game is street fighter)

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@Ren Cool story bro. ;)

How are they ridiculous?

Smash is not a button masher... You've obviously never played a Smash game, or you don't know how to play them.

street fighter, re-hash for brand obsessed, consumer, sheep. yay!

The hell is that suppose to mean? Smash is a rehash of Street Fighter? Yeah, okay... LOL.

brash capitalism and gaming unite!

No need to act like a dbag.

Your post is just flamebait...

Dodger

Dodger said:

Storm Punch. The 12 moves thing is really cool. I certainly will be picking the one that makes stupid FLUDD do damage with boiling water. I wonder what ones can replace moves like inhale or Pikmin pluck.

But before this game is any good, I want to see Groose, Linebeck, Tingle, OoT Great Fairy, Iggly, Beardo, Lyle, Tom Nook, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Lego Batman, Slippy, the Hulk, Master Chief, Waluigi, Frederick, Lissa, Tharja, Gordon Freeman, Waddle Dee, Ms. Pac-Man, John Egbert, Don Quixote, Vladimir Putin and Reggie as challengers. :D I've seen some sillier ideas on Miiverse, but that is to be expected, I suppose.

Pod

Pod said:

Feels a little forced with the pixel aesthetic for Pacman's special moves.

And I think they're once again loading the environments with too much detail.

Generally the visuals are strong, though, and much more coherent than last time around.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

The Miis, Pac-Man, & the Storm Punch. I suspect there might be ppl that master (using) the Miis, & main them. The customization is cool, & seems to me to be an extended version of what it was in Brawl. Everyone has their opinions, I, personally, like what I've seen done w/ Pac-Man. That will be my new desktop in a few days. I've got a reserve on the 3DSSmBr. I can wait, since that extra time may make the game better, &/or more polished, thought-out.