Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Forty One

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

New stages! Brewster! Boomerang!

A little earlier than normal — thanks a bunch E3! — we're having a look at the latest tasty screens for Super Smash Bros.. It's a strong line-up too, albeit one largely focused on the Wii U version once again.

Masahiro Sakurai's updates on the Director's Room Miiverse community throw up some interesting details, showing off a potentially awesome new item and two new stages for the Wii U version. One screen also shows some spectators enjoying a delicious drink as the madness unfolds, which seems like a reasonable way to spend a Sunday afternoon...

You can check out last week's Miiverse community screens below, and click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

2nd June

When Kamek casts a spell, the stage transforms drastically! That said, this is not what you would call a moving stage…
…By the way, this stage will be playable in the demo version of the game for E3, a game expo that starts on June 10 in Los Angeles.

3rd June

4th June

5th June

6th June

We've added a familiar setting from the Fire Emblem series, the Coliseum. In the original game, this place is filled with both hope and despair. There is machinery in the ground that activates variable platforms.

Plenty of nice screens to enjoy. Let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (272 votes)

Some favourites gear up for battle in Mushroom Kingdom U

21%

Kamek decides to relocate everyone to another World

11%

Tortimer Island looks rather cute as a trophy

Some Wii Fit rivalry is sortet out with a boomerang

Some may be battling, but Brewster and chums enjoy a coffee

14%

Ike and Marth do their 'I'm noble' poses in front of a new stage

12%

...and then duke it out in the Coliseum

27%

Um, I can't decide

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Wait.....so if Sunday is Monday then do I get to see the Nintendo digital event tomorrow? Stop screwing up my calendar NINTENDOLIFE!

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Where's Punky Brewster? Misleading headline is misleading. she would of been a a better fit for Brawl than that silly goop head Solid Snake.

siavm

siavm said:

That new fire emblem stage looks awesome. Weird we got two stages in a week.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I think the top photo is proof that "Mario Maker" is a real game ;-)

Yai

Yai said:

Picked Brewster since I love little touches like that. The Mushroom Kingdom stage looks amazing though!

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

For me, the Mushroom Kingdom U. I'm glad it's not a auto-scroll stage. I usually love the ideas of these stages (Mushroomy Kingdom on Brawl looks incredible and has great music) but the auto-scrool kills them for me. I hope there's that stage with the painting-like background, it was one of the few really memorable stages from NSMBU for me. Don't kill me, I said "for me".

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

By the way, the WiiU version is currently ahead by one stage. I'm both jealous and worried for its portable sibling, which happens to be the one version I care for the most.

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

@AlexSora89. Dude it's only one stage :D and remember the 3ds has the smash run mode. Im mire worried for the WiiU, the WiiU needs to shift some units and although we kniw the WiiU version will better (bigger screen/ better graphics/better controls/bigger maps) the 3ds does have smash run.

Also, wobt the boomerang diminish the uniqueness of links boomerang, maybe link will get a different side b

2Sang

2Sang said:

I'm honestly shocked and impressed that Sakurai has enough details about the game that not 1 but TWO new stages were revealed before the week of e3. Trying not to get hyped, but it's hard. Not to mention please understand is deconfirmed unless reggie says it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for the Mushroom Kingdom U stage since I wanted to see a New Super Mario Bros. U stage. Hopefully we can play at Painted Swampland. Maybe I'll get to play the stage at Smash Fest?

I'm surprised Sakurai showed two new stages in one week. Makes me wonder how much new things will be announced at E3? I expect a lot.

Rohan2106

Rohan2106 said:

The amount of detail put into the stages just shows how much Sakurai wants these games to be perfect! Roll on Tuesday!

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@2Sang
How can you deconfirm a sentence?!

@Captain-Falcon
I know, I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but then again, I'm worried because this is the series' handheld debut - it took four games before being able to play on the go. And considering the first SSB came out in 2000... I just hope Sakurai realizes how long overdue this is, and the WiiU version doesn't get all the focus. In fact, it should be the opposite - with the 3DS version coming out sooner, Sakurai should focus on it more, but instead we almost only get WiiU screenshots.

StaticWind

StaticWind said:

Voted for the first Mushroom Kingdom U stage. It looks like it might be viable in tournament play, and with how much of a Mario fan I am, and how beautiful New Super Mario Bros. U looks, I'm excited for that stage!
...And I reeeally want that Van Gogh-inspired swamp background to make it in. I love that one!

2Sang

2Sang said:

@AlexSora89
Iwata is not attending e3, although he could still be hosting the direct, so I guess undastanding is not quite yet out of the question, but with reggie in charge, there should be a lot less undastanding and more you know what kicking.

JubilifeRival

JubilifeRival said:

In Fire Emblem, isn't Marth a girl? Is that only Awakening? Or does her gender depend on your gender?

Dodger

Dodger said:

@Jubiliferival He is a dude in Shadow Dragon. To say much more would be major Fire Emblem: Awakening spoilers. SSB Marth is Shadow Dragon Marth.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Ike and Marth!

"It brings to life the worlds of New Super Mario Bros. U." Hah, almost sounds like he's making a jab at Super Mario Bros. U.!

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@Haxonberik I'm sorry I don't understand your post. On the day of Directs he always mentions them and gives explanations.
@2Sang That is shocking and this makes me even more hyped. I'm going in with average expectations that way it's not to low yet not through the roof. @AlexSora89 Sakurai is doing the right thing. Promoting the Wii U version more. Are you kidding with that you want them to not primarily focus on the version that needs it most? The 3DS isn't the one struggling it's the Wii U. And Smash is mainly a console game so that's where all the focus should be on. Kinda defeats the purpose of multi-platform if all the focus wasn't on the primary version of choice.
@JubilifeRival Not sure if serious question but here goes. Awakening Marth is an imposter. Marth is a dude no matter how much the internet likes to joke about it.