Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Forty

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Rocket belt! Ike! Steam effects! More!

The start of another week means it's time to look over yet more lovely screens for Super Smash Bros.. The past week brought one heavyweight piece of news as Nintendo unveiled The GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U, bundling that announcement with details for the upcoming E3 Super Smash Bros Invitational. Another post that made headline news here was a look at the touch screen functionality in the 3DS version.

Masahiro Sakurai's updates on the Director's Room Miiverse community
throw up some interesting details on items and moves this week, too, while also outlining a new indicator of characters weakening.

You can check out last week's Miiverse community screens below, and click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

26th May

27th May

28th May

29th May

30th May

…You can highlight that fighter on your screen. This is useful when you want to get back at a particular opponent. You can also highlight yourself if you need to keep better track of where you are. This is a great benefit to having your own individual screen.

Some interesting screens last week, then. Let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (277 votes)

King Dedede seems really impressed with his revival platform

11%

Ike shows off with his rocket belt

Yoshi lets off some Steam, Sheik is unimpressed

16%

Mario can't handle the heat of Ike's Eruption attack

26%

The 3DS touch screen shows current damage

22%

Four heroes prepare for battle on 3DS

Um, I can't decide

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I voted for Ike about to blow Mario away, although I love the one of Ike with the rocket belt! I agree with Sakurai...Is that cape fireproof?

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

I'll go with the Eruption one, because Mario's stance on the screen is funny. Kind of a tame week, I would say. But I'm not complaining.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

I don't understand the choice to make characters emit steam when they're weak... one could say it's mystifying.

GregDavisBlows

GregDavisBlows said:

I wish Sakurai would have scraped the Eruption power for a chargable blue slash similar to Ragnell's actual power.

noctowl

noctowl said:

First time I don't really like any of them. Not sure if it's because of my dislike of Ike or the lack of ZS Samus.

@absuplendous i see what you did there. I lol'd.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

The steam pic, mainly because of how Yoshi looks on the Wii U. Pretty much like with Greninja's Substitute doll, lol. :p

rjejr

rjejr said:

"This is a great benefit to having your own individual screen."

So, any word recently from Nintendo about a 2nd Gamepad? I know they would be expensive, but I really think having dual Gamepads could help in a lot of games - see FF:CC. A Mario NFL game along the lines of Sluggers or Strikers - playing more like NFL Blitz than Madden - would be nice. Mario as QB, Luigi WR, Bowser at running back. DK would be linebacker. And I really want an Advance Wars sequel. Pikmin 4 multiplayer would benefit as well w/ the new touchscreen patch.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I like the steam concept and also the revive platform's color showing how close it is to vanishing.

HeroOfTime32

HeroOfTime32 said:

Glad they keep showing these small tweaks such as the platform colors and the steam emissions from damaged players. All of these little things will continue to add up and hopefully this will be the best smash yet!!!

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Issue forty!
It's been ten months already! Good job, crew, good job.
You've helped me a lot, keeping track with Sakurai's Miiverse shenanigans and whatnot.
Voted for the touch screen, because DUH.
Also, @ThomasBW84 might want to write a column or something about today's reveal - namely, the WiiU version has a new stage: the latest iteration of Mushroom Kingdom, "Mushroom Kingdom U", lifted straight from, you guessed it, New Super Mario Bros. U.

Yosher

Yosher said:

The best shot here is obviously with Ike's Eruption! I really don't like the steam effect at high damage, personally. Hope this can be turned off.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

"King Dedede seems really impressed with his revival platform" Looks to me more like he's really impressed with the Wii Fit Trainer's ultra toned bod'!

erv

erv said:

The steam one, as it's a noticable addition to showing what matters during gameplay.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for the steaming characters, because it is a sign of battle damage. The concept of battle damage was scrapped in Brawl, in which characters would look noticeably roughed up the more damage they took, such as cracks forming on Meta Knight's mask or Captain Falcon's visor being broken and revealing one of his eyes. The steam is a tamer version of that, but still effective. It'll be funny seeing characters like Peach, Rosalina, Diddy Kong, and Luigi steaming.

Rafie

Rafie said:

This game will cause the Wii U's first online overload to the point no one can get a decent match in for like 2 days. LOL I can tell already! ESPECIALLY if this game still plans to release in the holidays.

Aceboss100

Aceboss100 said:

Online connection for this game, both 3ds and Wii U will be so overloaded, it will be unplayable. Simple as that. The hype for this game is so freakin high..steam is starting to come out of my body.LOL Horrible joke and I know it.

Link506

Link506 said:

I don't know if I like the steam or not. I'll have to try it. But I love the jet pack! Its a great idea. I just hope the cape is fire-resistant!

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Nice details with the revival platforms and the steam. I like that Sakurai and his team are paying attention to small details like these.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

I agree with the Greninja all the way up up there in the comments. These pictures were okay, but nothing really cool, except for the Jet pack Ike one.