E3 2014: Splatoon Will Offer Team-Based Ink-Splatting Action For Wii U In 2015

Posted by Damien McFerran

Team Fortress, Nintendo-style?

One of the new titles confirmed by Nintendo during its E3 Digital Event is Splatoon, a 4 on 4 combat title where the objective is to cover as much of the level with your own ink.

It sounds bizarre, but gets even stranger. You can transform into a squid and swin through your own team's ink, allowing you to move faster and hide yourself from your enemies. Splatoon makes use of the Wii U GamePad for aiming, and the game is scheduled for a 2015 launch.

It's possibly not the new IP everyone wanted, but it's encouraging to see Nintendo experimenting with new concepts — what did you think of the footage shown? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Strangely, I think this is one of the better announcements so far. I just think this game has the potential to be one of those extremely addictive multiplayer games that keeps you coming back. I'll be looking forward to playing this one.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

One of the best games shown off during the Nintendo Digital Event! Looks extremely fun. Too bad its not coming until 2015.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Best bit of the whole Digital Event for me. I guess this is where all those Mario paintball rumours got started.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

It looks fun for a couple days or when friends come over, but I'm concerned if it will have enough depth to keep drawing me in to online play. Part of the reason I kept playing the COD games was because I unlocked new weapons or upgraded weapons, or tried out new loadouts. This doesn't seem to offer that kind of depth; at least not yet. This is just my first impression. Obviously not enough details are out yet to say one way or the other.....we'll see.

PuzzleMaster7

PuzzleMaster7 said:

Splatoon is one of the most interesting titles to be revealed so far. Let's just wait and see what's in store later!

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

I read you have to tilt gamepad around to aim. That had me groaning...otherwise I was initially intrigued by this game!

Emaan

Emaan said:

New IPs are always welcome.

I think this looks really fun and I love the style.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@IxnayontheCK Try playing Wind Waker on the Gamepad, with tilt controls, in first person view. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's proof of the gamepad's functions being able to add to gameplay, with perfect aiming and immersion.

This title looks a TON of fun, I'm really looking forward to it. Has anyone seen if it's retail/eshop/both?

CeroKelvin

CeroKelvin said:

So who's ready for the wave of complaints from "moral guardians" saying how this game promotes gang wars?

Jokes aside, this looks pretty cool.

Frapp

Frapp said:

A spiritual heir to the 8 player death match mode of Slime World on Atari Lynx, with a dash of Metroid Blast. One of the many highlights of Nintendo's showing and the best new IP of E3 by far. Instantly sold on this one.

kendorage

kendorage said:

good surprise. looks fun. best part about this game to me is the use of color. lots of hd color in a shooting game? fine by me.

erv

erv said:

This is really good. Nintendo taking everything that's fun about shooters and kicking things up properly.

Really, really quality nintendo style.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I generally don't enjoy shooter but it does look kind of fun. I'll keep an eye on it at least.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Just love seeing a new IP realized so well. Very elegant design and looks really, really fun. I'm wondering if you can do 4-player split screen against online opponents.

CaptOlimar30

CaptOlimar30 said:

This game looks great! Hopefully it supports smaller local matches of 2v2 and taking friends online with you locally. I think there's one new IP left from Nintendo though since Shiggy's supposed to unveil one and there is still an unannounced 3DS title according to the Nintendo Minute show. That and actually seeing StarFox3D in action as well as the Smash Tournament and anything else Nintendo might still have up their sleeves has me still excited!

babyguess

babyguess said:

The initial footage got me excited after seeing a squid. I was yelling for Super Sunshine 2!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Biggest concern - which somehow nobody seems to ave addressed yet - is the heavy use of the Gamepad. If you can't play offline b/c you need a Gamepad to shoot thats a big problem. If you can use the Pro then everybody worrie dabout mtion controls can rest easy. I think this is a game that coudl REALLY benefit form dual Gamepad usage. O rNintned coudl finally hook up th e3DS like they did w/ the Gamecube an dfinal Fansty Crysta Chornicles.

Other concern, 4v4 player team online and my kids having enough friends to play with, Wii U isn't as popular as Wii was.

Looks great for a tween-teen game, maybe even some drunk adults - but it needs offline 2-player w/ bots or a 2nd Gamepad if you need it to aim and fire. 4 player 2v2 offline and it's a day 1 purchase for us. Next year is probably good so more Wii U are around.

Rafie

Rafie said:

This game looks absolutely fun. A great addition to the Ninty family. I welcome brand new IP's that work. This game will work. Very good!

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

This screams out Nickolodeon to me but aside from that it looks like a really fun creative game! Multiplayer and online…keep it up Nintendo!

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

At least they're making an arena shooter that's not ultraviolent like 99% of the rest of the genre.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

Who needs the call of duty franchise, when this looks so good.
Nintendo have pulled it out of the bag at E3 with this, Starfox, Zelda, and the other new projects as well as the dates for the already announced games, surely this must mean an increase in console sales.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

This looks awesome! It's like a mini-spinoff of Super Mario Sunshine almost. Instead of using the FLUDD to clean you use a gun to cover everything in paint! I love the squid movement idea too. :D

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@rjejr I thought exactly the same as you. Ie, do we play this local or online and how do you do local w/o at least one more game-pad. If you could use wiimote+nunchuck you would need to split screen so it's gets fiddly after 2 players are involved! Otherwise I'm really interested in this once we know more....

FrozenLink

FrozenLink said:

Judging by the Nintendo tree house happening right now, you can aim using the second stick so thats helpful

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

This looks like it will be a blast, and it is nice to see them filling in the genre gaps with not just cookie cutter software but interesting takes on the concept.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

The treehouse footage is pretty cool but the hosts are kind of annoying, lol.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I loved, loved, loved this from the first time I laid eyes on it. I just wish it had a single player mode, too.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

I wasn't impressed, at first. But then they showed snipers, giant ink bombs, and sneaking up through ink to kill opponents from behind, and I was sold. Looks fun.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

This was my highlight of the event today, just because it came out of the blue and looks like so much fun.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

If it's a modestly priced Eshop game, you may have a hit. If this is retail, you've shot your foot off with a spatter gun Nintendo

Henmii

Henmii said:

If this was single-player, I might have tried it. But since its multiplayer only, no!

skjia

skjia said:

I thought the same thing. Nintendo Team Fortress. The concept seems pretty fun. Hope it delivers!

Th3PlaidHatter

Th3PlaidHatter said:

I don't know if it is because this was a complete surprise announcement, or if it is really as good as it seems to me right now, but this is the game I'm most excited about from all of E3 so far. Nintendo killed it today!

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I've said for a while that Nintendo ought to do their own spin on the shooter genre. This is exactly what I hoped for.

Jllanos22

Jllanos22 said:

Watched the digital event and when I saw this game in my mind was like finally a Nintendo shooter. I want it right know. Awesome game.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

@rjejr I was just about to mention this. It's like they forgot that the Gamepad was originally designed as an asymmetric multiplayer device and they just went crazy with Gamepad features as if everyone could use them. Hopefully they'll at least design it so that on other controllers you can press a button on the controller to warp to other players' location.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

The more I see of this game, the more I'm sold. It looks excellent.
Would be cooler if instead of ink it was humans vs. aliens and you had to paint as much of the map as possible with the opposing team's blood. More brutal kills mean more blood rewarded. ;-)
You think I'm joking, don't you? That would be awesome.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

@C-Olimar Nintendo generally doesn't like a lot of gore, they probably wouldn't do that. Anyone else though... I can see the ripoffs already.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Bolt_Strike - " Hopefully they'll at least design it so that on other controllers you can press a button on the controller to warp to other players' location."

They will, but it will be a secret like using the right stick in W101 to draw the shapes. I never used the touchpad that whole game. Wait maybe for health items, but not drawing.

I'm hopeing thisi s a2015 gam eso they release more Gamepad suport.

I've been on here ALL freakin' DAY adn I didnt see anybody mention how in SSBU we can add NFC amoeba characters - but thats only for player 1 - how does it work if you are using a Gamecube controller? Why is Nintneod marketing Gamecube controllers adn NFC for the same game?

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

@rjejr I think people are just forgetting that the Gamepad is designed around asymmetrical multiplayer. I know I did for a minute there. Yeah, I'm hoping they at least have second Gamepad support by the time these games come out, that would at least make it more fair.

ddbangsy

ddbangsy said:

How refreshing and what a nice surprise it is to see this new IP.

Fun, colourful, multiplayer action.... that's what the Wii U is about :)

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

@CaptOlimar30 All I was thinking was 'how will this worl for local? My guess is it probably wont have it. Then again I remember before the Wii U was released it was said that the console could support (at least?) 2 gamepads. Maybe this will be the first experiment?

Not that Online isn't good, I just don't trust the longevity of online multiplayer only games as I tend to keep things way past their server lives.

dinosauryoshi

dinosauryoshi said:

I'm with the majority here. This looks great fun. One of the highlights of E3 for me. Love how Nintendo are focusing on gameplay rather than tons of next gen CGI trailers like the rest.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Bolt_Strike - "asymmetrical multiplayer"

I think asymmetrical multiplayer was a big reason for the Wii U's slow start - the masses weren't buying into the Nitnedo Land mini game collection and the gamers wanted no part of it. I think dual Gamepad support could really help w/ the turn around though. Obviously having MK8 and SSB and the new Zelda will be the primary sellers, but 2 Gamepads just seems to make so much more sense than 1. I just spent 140 hours playing Advance Wars and that would work so well as a Wii U game w/ 2 screen support w/ the tv having a huge overview. RTS like Warcraft w/ touchscreen supports seems a natural. I'm not naive, I understand the cost would have been prohibitively high at launch, but by mid-2015 it should be manageable.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

@MadAdam81 Good point. I never thought about it like this because I always got excited when I unlocked something new because it would often change the way I setup my loadouts. I'm not completely against Splatoon, there hasn't been enough detailed yet, but my first impression was that it doesn't seem to have a lot of depth. Other 3rd person shooters have single player and various other multiplayer variants. Maybe Splatoon will have some other modes as well. We'll see.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

@dkxcalibur The game was just revealed yesterday, and isn't coming until 2015. So yeah, they're just showing off the basic gameplay right now, closer to release we'll probably see more gameplay modes. In particular, I think a Capture the Flag mode would work pretty well with the gameplay.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Looks way fun and team based indeed. Time to wet some kids up with paint that is.

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

This new IP looks very interesting. It just shouts out FUN in your face, they just need to show more modes, weapons, controller options and maps and everone's doubt about this game will be gone. One of the Digital Event's highlights for me and it looks impressive.