E3 2014: Reggie Fils-A-Mech Does Battle With Shigeru Miyamoto, Sort Of

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Some welcome E3 madness

Nintendo is normally a reliable source of quirky E3 moments, whether it's the appearance of Non-Specific Action Figure, Shigeru Miyamoto pretending to shoot out of a Donkey Kong barrel or many examples besides. If light relief is what you want, the company normally delivers.

A candidate for this year's best silly moment has now been released as a video, which riffs on Project Giant Robot as Reggie Fils-A-Mech faces off with Shigeru Miyamoto and his cardboard robot of fury. Well, it's cardboard, if not an actual robot of fury.

It's another example of Nintendo having fun in the heat of the serious business of E3, check it out below.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

You would never catch anyone from Sony or Microsoft doing this. This is why I love Nintendo

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Now all he has to do is try and beat Iwata in a rematch so that he gains permission to have full control of NoA...

Montegarde

Montegarde said:

I hope someday to enjoy my job a fraction of the amount that Miyamoto-san enjoys his.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Poor Bill. I was hoping he'd have the spotlight this year, and this isn't exactly what I had in mind...

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

After the making of this video, five minutes had passed. I guess the Fils-A-Mech will be stuck there for another several weeks...

Also, I'm loving Fils-A-Mech's new voice chip!

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

@Dr_42o Why? Only Nintendo would try to have fun at E3. All the other companies are too uptight trying to prove which console is better and it's honestly getting old. E3 is supposed to be a place where we all have fun playing newly announced games, and who says Nintendo can't get in on the fun too? No need to be embarrassed. ;)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@rjejr

You see? Here we have the evidence that we needed. Bill Trinen IS a robot!

I love these comedy sketches.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I was actually rooting on Miyamoto, but I should have known that the Fisa-Mech Terminator would win.

Squid

Squid said:

I told you guys! I knew it! Fils-A-Mech confirmed as playable in Project Giant Robot, complete with Balance Board compatibility and Amiibo support. :)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Poor Bill; I would've rooted for him and Miyamoto, but Fils-A-Mech is apparently just too much. You would think duct tape would do the trick.

It's moments like this that make me love the people who work at Nintendo. If you're having fun at your job, it doesn't become a job.

Subie98

Subie98 said:

I like how they still are trying to have fun despite their serious situation. The fact they are still enjoying themselves says a lot about their character I think.

Iggly

Iggly said:

Gotta love the content Nintendo makes, I'd love to see more of this during next year's E3.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

It's great that the people of Nintendo such as Reggie and Iwata and Miy?amoto have become the real life mascots for the company. Who needs Mario when we could have Fils A Mech? I totally love Nintendo even more for how they have handled this E3. All about fun? That message couldnt have been clearer. Well done Nintendo.

Dexter2015

Dexter2015 said:

@Nik-Davies That is the main problem with them that company's are run by suits most of the people that work there don't even play Video games them self they see games like products and not like entertainment the entertainment for them is watch TV shows and Movies and so on that's why most of the games got ton of freaking cut scenes and graphics have to be amazing no one really cares about game play no more.

Nintendo is all about FUN you don't see anyone smiling in the so many demos like it they always fear they will get fired. In the Nintendo demos its all fun, check that Mario Makers videos and see the game creator trying to beat one unbeatable Mario level.... !

It's also one of the main reasons why Sony's all stars didn't work and all that other copys of super smash brothers you can clearly see that the products where rush out of the door.

Nintendo got lots of love for the characters and everything and Nintendo got no problem to delay a game till it's prefect.

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

I love Nintendo so much. They always have fun and it really shows not only through their games but also their live presences.

dumedum

dumedum said:

@Dexter2015 very nice summation. Its true. Many have tried to copy smash but without any success. And its true also for Kart and Mario in general and pokemon andothers.

Shambo

Shambo said:

No wonder they're the ones that still understand gaming and fun, not only what teenagers want in M-rated games. Fils-a-Mech should've drawn a splatter gun though :D

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

They all looked liked they enjoyed that. I love thought that our first E3 hint was with the Reggie robot though a few weeks ago. Very clever indeed!

MajinSoul

MajinSoul said:

There's nothing wrong with having a little fun.
Stuff like this is why I adore Nintendo and I will never quit enjoying their content.
But I'm sure that most of the people that didn't enjoy this are the ones that enjoyed Ubisoft's conference with that Aisha talking to the "cool kidz" with her cussing.

dinosauryoshi

dinosauryoshi said:

Yeah this is pretty much why I love Nintendo too. They're all about fun and not taking things too seriously! Awesome E3 guys!

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

It's good to see a company, even while they're working on something big, or at a big business event such as E3, they still have time to have fun.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@Montegarde It's a goal I hope to achieve.

@Nik-Davies Nintendo's great because they aren't afraid to have fun. I mean, with the Robot Chicken bits in the Digital Event, this, and the Invitational. That's why they won E3, and I think their lineup is better than anyone else this generation.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - After watching Shawn Layden literally suck all the life out of everybody in the room at the Sony event like some giant succubus I've decided Bill Trinen is a great spokesperson and I will never insult him again. Though his Tomodachi Life Mii is still better.

BlackStar9000

BlackStar9000 said:

As a grown man with kids who likes to do fun stuff like this, i smiled, I have a new idea of something we can do together now. Nintendo always brings the fun, age regardless.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@Nik-Davies Exactly what I was thinking at the beginning of the Digital Event when Reggie was duking it out with Iwata. I was just like, "What other company has presidents like this? This is awesome!"