E3 2014: Palutena to Descend From the Heavens to Join Super Smash Bros.

Posted by Martin Watts

Divine Intervention

Kid Icarus fans will be delighted to learn that Palutena, the Goddess of Light from the classic Nintendo series, will be making a playable appearance in the upcoming Super Smash Bros games for Wii U and 3DS.

Showcased during Nintendo's Digital Event, gameplay footage revealed the divine being's impressive move set. The footage itself was bookended by fully voiced, animated clips featuring the original voice actors for Pit and Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising. At the end of the presentation, Dark Pit made a brief appearance, and while it wasn't outright confirmed, it did hint that he too might feature in the line-up as an individual character.

This isn't the first time that Palutena has appeared in a Super Smash Bros. game; she also appeared as a part of Pit's Final Smash attack in 2008's Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii.

Related Games

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Well it's also quite possible Dark Pit is an alternate colour scheme. He doesn't really look that different from the regular Pit.

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

Coming from a guy who isn't a KI fan, but loved the game, this is epic. Definitely will be another one of my mains.

noctowl

noctowl said:

I don't see the appeal. She doesn't have any personality. Oh well, happy for the people who wanted her.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Excepted, I would've much rather seen Hades or Medusa as the 2nd Kid Icarus representative, but I can live with this.

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

I give it a thumbs down. None of the new characters have been particularly appealing to me yet. If they could just put in Shulk or King K Rool I'd be happy.

Superiorspider

Superiorspider said:

Martin Watts, Lady Palutena was a part of Pit's final smash and not an assist trophy. You should fix this.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

As one could tell I'm more of a Viridi person but I'm all for Palutena. Hope Dark Pit has a good role in there too!

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Palutena and Pittoo!?! This is going to be epic! Finally the Kid Icarus Franchise is getting some recognition.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! So pumped to have Mii characters join as well! Seeing Iwata & Reggie beating each other up was amazing! :D

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Dark Pit is obviously just a skin. I was actually cheering immediately when Mii and Palutena just appeared on screen been supporting them for years. Now just one more is missing...

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

Probably my favorite announcement at E3.. I am so excited about this, and her move set looks incredible.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@TheHumbleFellow I have played it. Maybe it's not my sense of humor, maybe it's that plastic stand. But like I said, happy for the people who wanted her even if she does nothing for me.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

I know Smash is a world where Villagers can potentially beat armored space hunters, but something about a goddess joining the fight bugs me. But I guess Rosalina kind of opened that door. Ultimately, I don't mind, but I'm not familiar enough with the character to get excited.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Yes! Love the cast of characters from Kid Icarus: Uprising. They have great personalities and I'm glad their voice acting is potentially featured in the Smash games. Hoping for an eventual sequel on Wii U.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

An amazing moment, grinned from ear to ear. As for Dark Pit, I think Sakurai was trolling again. Who knows if he's a character or a skin, but that moment was to give us yet another character to debate over since we no longer need to do so for Palutena.

Also, she looked awesome.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Palutena was the most likely second Kid Icarus character to be playable by a mile, even before that "leak" from February. I love how the announcement video was in anime like the Kid Icarus 3D animes. Hopefully Dark Pit has a unique voice and isn't just a black alternate skin for Pit like before. Also, in one of the screenshots for Palutena, Phosphora was revealed as an assist trophy.

Now I just want to see King K. Rool pull a Wii Fit Trainer and be a surprise third announced newcomer.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

I feel like Dark Pit is going to be a boss character in the Palutena's Temple. Either that, or a skin or assist trophy. He couldn't work with out be a clone as a character. I think a boss character is the most likely.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

It is great that a series like Kid Icarus is getting more recognition and I personally liked the Palutena reveal as well especially the anime style announcement, but I am still hoping for Isaac (from Golden Sun - for people who haven't yet played such an amazing game) to be included as well. Although Smash Bros. for 3DS has been sadly delayed, I think there might be a higher chance for his appearance as a challenger!

Keep the reveals comin' Nintendo!

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

As a Kid Icarus Uprising fanboy, I couldn't be happier with this. OK, I could, maybe Hades could've cracked a one-liner in there, but still, so awesome. So glad the original voice actors are back.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I think in the short time I've been o this site today... I've crapped myself in over-excitement more times than I should have.

MetalK9

MetalK9 said:

@Ernest_The_Crab
Yeah. Looks like a alt skin. But maybe if Dark Pit became a seperate character, they'll give Dark Pit a moveset with weapons that Pit isn't using. Give Dark Pit aggressive mean tuants and attitude and a whole different moveset. It's possible, but it's up to Nintendo.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

She looks pretty generic. She could easily be passed off as a Fire Emblem character and nobody would know the difference.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

>This isn't the first time that Palutena has appeared in a Super Smash Bros. game; she also appeared as an assist trophy in 2008's Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii.

Lies!

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

Yes! I wanted to see another KI character in it, and I love Palutena! Perfect!
@sillygostly Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem fans surely would know the difference!
@noctowl She certainly DOES have personality. She's a huge silly troll!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Someone PLEASE post that animated reveal video! That was so sweet.

I am always on board with more lady fighters.

Mahe

Mahe said:

This was such a lame reveal. Well, goes along with the rest of Nintendo's E3 snoozefest.

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

Sorry for the error, guys - tiredness got the better of me! Palutena was indeed a part of Pit's Final Smash attack and NOT an assist trophy. I've fixed the error now :)

crzysortagamer

crzysortagamer said:

@Lasermaster123
a smash fighter from Golden Sun would be awesome! Anything is possible, i mean freaking pacman ! but not enough have asked for a GS character so i think we are out of luck

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

Also, in the teaser, I'm pretty sure I heard Viridi in there. I feel like it's unlikely they'd have gotten her voice actress in there for just one line. I hope she's an assist at least. Wouldn't it be cool if she were an alt or Palutena though?

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@crzysortagamer
Well we can wait and hope as Isaac has the been the 4th or 5th most demanded character on many websites I have been to. Plus he is a logical choice as a main character of one of Nintendo's iconic RPGs, Golden Sun that needs a revival and his inclusion can be a catalyst for the same.

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

This game just keeps getting better and better, palutena was a concern for a long time! The addition of Pacman just made it more exciting and difficult to wait!