E3 2014: No DLC In The Works For Content-Rich Bayonetta 2

Posted by Damien McFerran

Director feels there's enough content for "one and a half" games

Bayonetta 2 may be taking its sweet time getting to market — we saw it at last year's E3, after all — but it would appear that the wait will be more than worth it.

Speaking to US Gamer, game director Yusuke Hashimoto has revealed that he is very proud indeed of the level of content that has been included in the sequel — and amazingly, all of it will be available from day one as there are no plans for DLC releases post launch.

Hashimoto believes that the game goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to providing the player with value. "I feel like there's enough content there for one and a half games," he said.

It was also revealed that the version of Bayonetta that ships with the physical edition of Bayonetta 2 has been outscored to Osaka-based Bee Tribe, with original creator Hideki Kamiya supervising every step of the way. As such, this could represent the definitive version of the game, and the reason for bringing it to Wii U is simple. "We thought it would be awesome to let fans play both on the same console," explains Hashimoto.

Bayonetta 2 launches in October.

[via usgamer.net]

Related Games

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Well it already has TWO games, so DLC would be uncalled for. Now, about Mario Kart...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

"with original creator Hideki Kamiya supervising every step of the way."

This is all I wanted to hear. Not a rushed, lazy port. Very excited for this.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

Take Notes major western developers (EA, Activison, and etc) make a full game first before you think about DLC.

Great job Platinum games, I really enjoyed the Wonderful 101.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Why... is it one and a half games? is the first game not the full game?

Shambo

Shambo said:

So, we get two and a half games for the price of one? Even knowing I played (and absolutely loved) one of them already, that's the best thing they could do, and no DLC is even better. You pay once, you get the full package, and you play forever if you so desire. Classic, no BS game development. 'It'll be done when it's done, and when it's done, it's DONE.' attitude is my favourite, from an artist.

Edit: my PS3 copy just went to the pile of games I'll sell soon, for I firmly believe there will be no more reason to own it, even as a fan and owner of quite some collectibles (artbook, figures,...)

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Oh so it's coming in October? It's gonna be a very busy month, with Smash 3DS and Huryle Warriors that's released a week before Smash 3DS. And if Shantae's release date of late summer also means October...

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

If Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are both half the game W101 is, then together they'll be as good as the Wonderful 101, which is a very good thing.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@ikki5

He means that Bayo 2 is so crammed with content that it should count as one and a half. Of course Bayo 1 is the complete game.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Has Bayonetta 1 been confirmed to be free or is it part of a special (more expensive) edition??

rjejr

rjejr said:

Hope after all the wait this isn't overshadowed by Hyrule Warriors Sept 26. They may be different but they are both squarely action games, and Link is more famous than Bayonetta. I do think Ntinedo could market this as a 1-2 punch for people looking to buy a Wii U for more "adult" games. If you see Midna fighting in HW she has a stylistic resemblance to Bayonetta.

And who really needs DLC? B2 already has some type of 2 player built in for longevity, which seems like it could make another case for dual Gamepad support, though Bayonetta fans are probably more aligned w/ the Pro controller.

CliffordB

CliffordB said:

Day 1 for me no doubt about it, Bayonetta 2 along with MK8 were the main reason I bought a Wii U at launch, already have MK8 and October can't come quick enough so I can get hold of Bayonetta 2.

I played the original Bayonetta on Xbox 360, but, may well play it again on the Wii U, I just wonder if the Wii U version will have any unique features though or just be a straight port?

LDXD

LDXD said:

@ikki5 lol its a figure of speech, in other words the game has lots of content already enough for a full game and a half

Action51

Action51 said:

Will my fellow Nintendo fans ignore this title like the amazing Wonderful 101, and then complain about Nintendo's lack of third party and new IP's?

Probably :P

This time, we know what we're getting into, and they added so much content and made it an irresistible value, so no excuses this time.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

This is fantastic news. Honestly people should go by the thousands to purchase this game. Pretty much a buy 1 get 1 free deal. Go pre order now!

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

@Damo Is there any way someone from Nintendolife would have a chance to ask about the Eshop situation? If they have this version of the first game it seems ridiculous to not have it on the eshop as well. Some have mentioned the wording on the site might just mean that the games are not one file but I would like to know more if possible before October comes around.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Platinum Games is an awesome developing studio, and I really hope that Bayonetta 2 will become the financial success they deserve since MadWorld! I'll SO get this on launch day!

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

This is great news. I seriously cant wait for this game. The first one was amazing and when they first announced that the second was exclusive two e3 agos I was hyped...this game was the main reason I wanted a wiiu and the fact it comes with the first one revamped with new stuff for wiiu....pls just take my money

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

For those who already played the first Bayo: are you gonna play directly the second one or will you play the two game in a row? Hope there's a in game reward (Bayo 1 had many) if you play B2 after B1: it would be in the lovely masochist Platinum style!

siavm

siavm said:

I am definitely playing the first game first when I get it. I was going to get caught back up before it came out by playing the ps3 one (only beat that one once) but I can do it when I get it.

King47

King47 said:

Thanks, Platinum.
I haven't played the first and was concerned about missing out. Day one purchase for me.

element187

element187 said:

@CliffordB Wii U version of Bayo1 will have Nintendo related costumes for Bayo to wear.... in the digital event they showed a princess peach outfit, link and a samus suit for bayo to wear... I would imagine they would include more.

element187

element187 said:

I'm hyped about getting a free copy of Bayonetta 1. I was one of those people port begging... but I was begging with the intention of paying $40-$60 to have that pleasure. Now I can get it free with my copy of Bayo2? Thank you Nintendo and Platinum for my early xmas present :)

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

October waaaaaa i thort it would be july. Bayonetta 1 was soooooooo good and underrated and vanquish as well.

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

I'm buying this at launch. Just like when the first bayonetta came out. I would like to see this game get the limited edition treatment.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@andreoni79

I think I will start with the first one, to see the differences and get used to the new control scheme. Hopefully the special suits are available at the start.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

This was honestly the only game at E3 that made me crack a wide smile when watching it.

Sony was decent and Microsoft boring.

The Smash announcements were a snore (on the account only completely expected characters were "revealed" and only Palutena was interesting, and they are censoring the Miis online anyway), the tournament okay (free for all matches and a grand final was an undeserving victor because of broken rules about the loser getting the advantage out of a timer scam), but watching Bayonetta 2 made me really happy. I had low hopes for the game considering the lack of information on it previously.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

Really glad to know this. It is great when a game is complete without DLC + the information that Kamiya is supervising the porting of the first game. Being a Devil May Cry fan (pre-reboot) I can't wait to have my dose of stylish action games by playing these 2 games.

Look forward to both of 'em.

Dankykong

Dankykong said:

Uhhh isn't there Princess Peach & Zelda related stuff inside the Bayonetta box? So that chops off more reason for DLC and is sorta DLC on it's own. Either way this doesn't feel like one that really needs DLC anyway. It didn't for the first version, did it? I don't think anyway.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

No DLC means you got the complete game when you first paid for it.

When ever DLC is announced before a game has been out for a while I feel robbed.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

"Hashimoto believes that the game goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to providing the player with value."

Hehe. I see what you did there

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

I'm sure it will be awesome for fans to enjoy both on the same console but as someone who didn't have a means to play the original as I stuck with Nintendo during the last generation, I represent the group that I think most benefits from this: new entrants to the Bayonetta series. I'm sold! I couldn't be more pleased with how this collaboration is turning out. I have a feeling Bayonetta 2 is going to be lauded. Maybe it will bring a few people over to the Wii U, as well!

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Well that has got me off the fence, I'm now firmly in the day one group. Not my type of game but I'll try it out of respect.....

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I was getting the Samus costume whether I had to pay or not. But its nice to hear Ninty isnt charging for it.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

A complete game, well done. Heck, they even added the original game with extra in game stuff. I think there is plenty in the box as it is.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Good it's become to common for games to be sold at full price with half the content it should really have.

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@Meaty-cheeky

Welllllll, their sales and DLC sales are great, so it seems their fans are getting what they want (even if it is a scam). That said, I'll never go back to EA, Activision, etc. while they wholeheartedly support these models.

Some DLC is one thing, but when I walked away with dropping $70 for Mass Effect 3 (because of tax and "amazing" day-1 DLC) I was really upset. Imagine how upset I was after see the atrocious ending...thank you Kamiya for giving me the game right away, not holding the Prothean hostage...FREE the Prothean, FREE Bioware! LOL.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Yeah it has so much content already asking for DLC is just being greedy. I almost cheered when the original can be played at the Digital Event

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

Good. DLC should be for fun and frivolous things like holiday themed bonus costumes/stages or a timed unlockable, it shouldn't be used to complete something you already spent $60 on.

onery

onery said:

Bayonetta 1+2? More than enough. You guys at Platinum deserve a break from all the flack you got regarding the game... wholly undeserved of course.

Reminds me of a quote I saw on the Escapist forums: "Games are awesome, People are Depressing", or something to that effect. Sadly true a lot of the times so it's up to us to make the community a nice place to be in.

D2Dahaka

D2Dahaka said:

Can't believe there's talk about DLC before the game is even out lol. I'm fine with a complete game, that doesn't want to milk my credit card with dlc and micro transactions. Sad times when this kind of news is a breath of fresh air.

Noboty

Noboty said:

Nintendo and others in the business of making games need to take note.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Fine by me. It's more than enough to get Bayonetta in the same purchase. I've no need for extra content, especially when we know how hard the games are gonna be.