E3 2014: Mega Sableye Footage Unveiled For Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Posted by Conor McMahon

Crystal clear

With release dates set and excitement reaching a fever pitch for Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, new Mega Evolutions have been teased in the form of some brutish looking final forms for the Hoenn starters and legendaries. More are surely set to come, and the first hint of this was released today.

Mega Sableye has been confirmed, though clearly hasn't been hitting the gym quite as much as Swampert has. It's a more reserved transformation, though the addition of a giant, shield-like ruby is a striking new feature.

The trailer can be viewed right below, showcasing the ghostly 'mon spooking up the mega-evolved starters in a series of brief clips. Cowering behind the crystal may not seem like a winning tactic, but that's just exactly what a dark-type Pokémon would WANT you to think!

Take a look for yourself and give us your opinion. Any other favourites you're hoping get the chance to mega-evolve this time around?

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

This has so much potential to be overpowered. Mega Sableye sounds great, though. :3
I feel like there has to be a limited amount of Hoenn megas... they're going to completely outnumber the megas of other regions.

BLPs

BLPs said:

I think that they need to only add at least three more, before things get a bit out of hand with new additions. I mean, Mega Evolution can work, but then there is over saturation. :/

FragRed

FragRed said:

As much as I would love to get my hands on Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, there are simply too many other Nintendo games I have pre-ordered. Just can't afford this one right now. Though I am still waiting to hear what the secret 90 minute 3DS game was. Has it been announced yet?

Gioku

Gioku said:

...I like these more creative Mega Evolutions the best! Like Mega Kangaskhan, for instance. They don't need to be super muscular versions or have a bunch of stuff stinking out of them all of a sudden... I like the ones where they take something that was already a part of the Pokemon and make them use it a new way! ^-^

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Are these evolutions available for X and Y if you trade the mega stone over? Or will it be like a Rotom situation where only HG/SS got them and not D/P?

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

@EarthboundBenjy XY Via update maybe, if not then GF us.

Don't worry though Mega gollem will look like a PS4, and have crap defense when used against a Mega Wii U.

Iggly

Iggly said:

Huh, was not expecting Sableye to have a Mega Evolution. Quite curious how would this be compared to a Prankster Sableye considering that they can easily wall Pokemon that aren't Fairy or Fire types.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Oooooooo! That looks cool! It fits Sableye quite well.
I'm amazed that Sableye hasn't broken down and eaten that giant gem. ;)

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@Iggly I thought the opposite. Considering the fact that Mawile and Sableye are paired version-exclusives, and that Mawile has a Mega Evolution already, it makes sense to do the same for Sableye. I'm so happy that it's getting a Mega Evo, especially since it's one of the few Ghost-types which I actually like. As I've said before, Alpha Sapphire all the way! :D

Iggly

Iggly said:

@GamerZack7 Never thought about it that way, but it makes sense now that you mention it. Sableye is one of those few Pokemon that can handle by itself without an Evolution/Mega Evolution compared to Pokemon like Mawile, though I do appreciate Sableye receiving a Mega Evolution.

BlackHearted1

BlackHearted1 said:

I've lost all interest in Pokemon.The only Pokemon games i ever like were RBGY, FR&LG, and SS. I used to love Pokemon but the games are so generic the story is crap most of the monster don't look cool, or fun. I don't mean to bash on Pokemon though.
UPDATE if not happy with this comment please read my one below.

BLPs

BLPs said:

I'll say it. Mega Evolve everything, since we are heading that way.

NINTENCHIP

NINTENCHIP said:

@BlackHearted1 "I don't mean to bash Pokemon but here's a crap ton of subjective insults aimed at Pokemon".

Look, you don't have to like it, but that wasn't classy in the slightest.

BlackHearted1

BlackHearted1 said:

@NINTENCHIP @JubilifeRival I wasn't really trying to bash it but i guess i could have phrased it better my bad. Okay let me try again. The first Pokemon games were fun, original, amazing games, some of my favorite RPG's as a matter of fact, but almost all Pokemon games have had terrible story's, as-well as not adding much new, SSHG added Pokemon following you, to be immediately after removed. X&Y added mega's, but other than that none added anything new, and not even the originals really had a good story IMO. I ment for my original comment to be seen as creative criticizem not bashing i am sorry for not adding what i liked about the games.

BlackHearted1

BlackHearted1 said:

@EarthboundBenjy YES finally someone who understands. Nah but seriously i guess your right that was my bad, i just don't think that Game freak is doing as well as they could with Pokemon, i feel they have so much potential but don't do much with it. For example Pokemon y after saving the world from destruction you friends don't really even have any emotion, or care about it at all, i would like emotion and a better story. In conclusion Pokemon is a fun game but it could be alot better, see i just want pokemon to be the best it can be.

BlackHearted1

BlackHearted1 said:

@JubilifeRival Haha yeah i'm sorry that i made my comments so negative at first. I was just trying to point out some of pokemons weaker points even though it is a good game series. That is why i said i didn't mean to bash, even though i did. I'll try and make sure not to sound so negative next time :)

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

It makes sense to me. The crystal in Sableye's stomach comes out and shields him as he attacks thus becoming a tank. Before Fairy types were introduced, Dark/Ghost type Pokemon had no weaknesses but this type combination was limited to the weak NU-doomed Sableye and the subpar Spiritomb who was known for being incredibly difficult to get initially. I think with a defensive tankish Sableye it will prove to be a valuable mega evolution since its only weakness is the somewhat rare Fairy type.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Mega Aipom next! I don't care about Ambipom, just give Aipom a really cool and OP Mega Evolution so that he would stand a chance against the strongest Pokemon, but not be Uber.

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

The only point of using sableye is to troll by burning your opponents pokemon with really high speed, and then switching out, then using destiny bond.

Rensch

Rensch said:

This only makes sense since its Pokèmon Ruby counterpart, Mawile, had a Mega Evolution in X and Y.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I've genuinely been very impressed with these new Pokemon games of late. They're just getting it all right imo and are basically exactly how I think the Pokemon games should be realized on the 3DS at this point in time.

I basically couldn't really ask for or expect much more of these games on 3DS and that's ultimately all I ever really ask/expect of Nintendo in general and from all it's games, platforms and services.

Now; where the **** is the Wii U Pokemon RPG/MMO game, that's basically just these games but realized in all their full current-gen glory on Wii U and taken to their natural full realization...

FroJake

FroJake said:

Does anyone else think that some Gen 4 pokemon that are part of a Gen 3 evolutionary branch deserve MEs, like Gallade, Dusknoir, and Froslass?

BlackHearted1

BlackHearted1 said:

@Retro_on_theGo I've played B/W IIRC it's story was better than others,also i think next to story post game is i biggest issue, there is not much to do in most games post story. a battle tower where you gain experience and non stop fight i could go with that though. Oh and nice profile picture!
@Melkac Perhaps compared to some of the newer Pokemon games, but there my personal favorite, and psychics were still OP.

MetalK9

MetalK9 said:

What did it gain? Massive Buff? New ability? I don't think they'd change the ability from Prankster. With being only weak to Fairy. It's a damn good Prankster. A Mega for this mon wasn't really needed in my view. I think it only got aload of buff.