E3 2014: Intelligent Systems Will Reveal New Advance Wars And Fire Emblem Titles "When The Time Is Right"

Posted by Damien McFerran

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is also "right on schedule"

Nintendo revealed Code Name S.T.E.A.M. at E3 yesterday, the next outing from Intelligent Systems — and it looks rather great, too. However, Nintendo fans being Nintendo fans, certain people weren't satisfied with a brand-new IP to look forward to and couldn't resist asking about the studio's other games during a post-announcement Q&A session.

Instead of storming out of the event in a huff — as he was perhaps entitled to do — producer Hitoshi Yamagami calmly explained that future Advance Wars and Fire Emblem titles would be announced in the not-too-distant future:

We are always thinking about the next iteration of Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. We can't reveal any of those details tonight, but when the time is right we will.

Elsewhere in the Q&A session, Yamagami was quizzed on the elusive Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem — a title many feared would be canned following Sega's purchase of Atlus. However, he assured attendees that the game is "right on schedule", but could reveal nothing more for fear of losing his job.

[via destructoid.com]

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

Oh thank god. I'm glad SMT x FE is still happening, I was a bit worried since we haven't heard a peep since the teaser.

Glad to hear that more Advance Wars and Fire Emblem games are coming. Fire Emblem: Awakening was by far my favorite title on the 3DS, so they are allowed to take their time. No rush.

S-Miyahon

S-Miyahon said:

New Advance Wars and Fire Emblem Wii U games please! :D but I do love the new Code Name Steam 3DS game though. Gameplay sounds promising, art style too. Together with that awesome sounding game title? I'm sold!

Shambo

Shambo said:

Advance Wars on Wii U would be awesome! A big world overview on the TV, and battles fought with touch control. They could combine turn-based strategy with real-time combat once units attack each other for example, or try an open-world domination campaign. That's just my brain overclocking whenever I read 'next Advance Wars'.
Great about SMT x FE in any case!

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Fire Emblem is just fine, it just had a game on the 3DS that was very successful, and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is right on schedule, and looks to be pretty successful on its own.

So, I'm not worried about getting a new Fire Emblem, it prints enough money for Nintendo to keep making new games in the series.

But where had Advance Wars gone? Why don't we have a new game yet? Unless I'm wrong, I thought Days of Ruin did pretty well in terms of sales. Did it flop or something?

Can anyone clarify on that?

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

Yes that is nice to hear. I really look forward to SMT * FE as both the series are among my favourite series. Adding this to the fact that I loved Devil Survivor (Overclocked) which has gameplay similar to how a fusion of SMT and FE might be, I am looking forward to this game :D

Also an advance wars sequel would be amazing. I really liked the original series as well as Days of Ruin and would like a game similar to the latter where CO powers are not overpowered.

Also FE on Wii U! Great times ahead!

@Caryslan

Actually FE: Awakening might have been the last game in the series if it had not done well as FE although amazing is not a mass market game and usually sells less.

NImH

NImH said:

"Nintendo, why U always gotta put out the same games over and over?"
"Check out our news games! Splatoon! S.T.E.A.M.!"
"Nintendo, when U gonna put out another Advance Wars? Fire Emblem? Metroid? Majora's Mask?"
sigh

rjejr

rjejr said:

I've been wondering about an Advance Wars also, but as soon as I saw IS was working on STEAM that was good enough for me. :-)

NImH

NImH said:

I love a good remake, and can appreciate a continual evolution of existing IPs.... and I also love fresh and innovative new franchise possibilities.
It's the incessant whining that kills me.

MetaRyan

MetaRyan said:

While I would love a new Advance Wars, I'd rather have Nintendo making new IPs like STEAM.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I want a new Codename STEAM!

What? Not released yet you say? I don't care! I want my sequels!

Seriously, I prefer new ideas and new IPs.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Got to love Nintendo fans. They will complain about recycling the same IP and demand a new one. Give them a new one or two and they complain about not getting remake or worse a re-release of a game that is not hard to find and play.

Back on track, as long as those games is up in the air for them in the future, I don't mind the wait. This year E3 have given me enough to hold me over for a long time.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Well, it's not like it's Sony saying it, so we can expect it probably is right on schedule. It's a little embarrassing that people were complaining about Advance Wars and Fire Emblem during the Q&A for a new franchise, though. Announce new entries in older franchises, people complain that Nintendo doesn't take any risks with new properties. Announce a new franchise, people complain that it isn't a new entry in an older franchise. Dam*ed if you do, dam*ed if you don't.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

They can sit back with new Advance Wars and Fire Emblem stuff - they got two highly promising projects in the oven, and that will suffice for a good amount of time!

Emaan

Emaan said:

Good to know Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is still on schedule.

2Sang

2Sang said:

So happy they haven't forgotten about advance wars. Give them a title before e3 2016 and I'll be content.

mostro328

mostro328 said:

Nintendo did great showing off 4 new ips, 2 spin offs captain toad and mario maker, this project had me hyped already they are a great team i love every fire emblem I've played since gc....i got one for my bday and almost returned it because of the turn based style and so glad i did not and gave it a shot

element187

element187 said:

@NImH It was in pretty bad form to ask about FE, AW and SMT/FE at this press conference. It was supposed to be all about their new IP.

And the media being what they are had the nerve to go there.... If I was the devs I'd probably throw the towel in.... They get BEGGED to make a new IP. They do, and while the reveal it, instantly the fanboys in the press starts asking questions about remakes and sequels. Unbelievable.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I hope there'll be at least one more Fire Emblem game for the 3DS. A non-crossover Fire Emblem for Wii U would also be grand.

Great_Gonzalez

Great_Gonzalez said:

Intelligent systems is my favourite game studio ever and I'm looking forward to STEAM. Keep up the awesome work guys! :D

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I recently got Advance Wars on Wii U VC, and I liked it enough to get both DS games. If they announce a 3DS game, I'll definitely be interested.

ReindeerDasher

ReindeerDasher said:

You guys all hates Sticker Star. You also all hated Super Paper Mario. Why should they try to make a new Paper Mario?

"Well Dash, we want one that's pretty much exactly like Thousand Year Door."

Then play Thousand Year Door. Or ask for a remake. Obviously Intelligent Systems can't make you happy.

YoshiTails

YoshiTails said:

Maybe Nintendo hasn't decided yet whether next Advance wars will be 3DS or Wii U.
That's the trouble with having two Dual/Touch screen Consoles!

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@AddADashOfSalt If you think about it...it sounds exactly like annoying Melee fans regarding Brawl and Smash 4. Truly disgusted all this comments asking for more and just ignoring what we have so far.

ReindeerDasher

ReindeerDasher said:

I enjoyed Sticker Star. Tbh I can't even get into the original, though I haven't played Thousand Year Door. That's just one of those things I keep hearing that annoys the crap out of me, though.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

New Advance Wars and Fire Emblem for Wii U would be killer titles for Wii U. Make it happen Intelligent Systems, also glad that Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is still coming. Can't wait for the next ND.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@unrandomsam

Well, you'll have to excuse the vast majority of us that loved Awakening as one of THE finest games of 2013, and possibly the best game on the 3DS. Personally I find the mere notion of it "being broken" as proposterous

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@JaxonH Have you played any of the others.? Many of the mechanics which made it good in the first place have been changed significantly or removed.

Link506

Link506 said:

I just picked up advanced wars and I AM HOOKED! PLEASE MAKE A 2ND! HOW WILL I LIVE WITHOUT IT?

AtlanteanMan

AtlanteanMan said:

I've said for a long time that the Wii U Gamepad is MADE FOR turn-based Strategy games. Each player can hold the Gamepad "hot seat-style" during their turn where only they can actually see what units they're moving or actions they're taking. Their opponents watching the main TV screen only see the results.

Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyria Chronicles (with multiplayer!), Daisenryaku...the list of potential franchises that could incorporate the Wii U gamepad for turn-based Strategy is a long one. And I've no doubt that any of these would be HUGE sellers and do wonders for the genre as a whole, which sadly has gotten almost no love on consoles over the years.