E3 2014: Art Academy Confirmed for 2014 Arrival on Wii U eShop

Posted by Martin Watts

Games can be art

A new Art Academy game has been announced for Wii U and will be available exclusively on the Wii U eShop.

The title is a follow-up to last year's Art Academy: SketchPad and will offer users a wide range of tools, as well as in-depth advanced lessons, to get the most out of their digital drawing. Unsurprisingly, the Wii U GamePad will act as the player's canvas.

The title's features — and more specifically what will this version will offer over its predecessor — are not yet known, so naturally we'll update you as soon as we know.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

It's funny, 2 months ago I wouldn't have cared. Now thanks to club nintendo I can't wait for this. Never thought I'd be able to learn to draw so easily and enjoy it so much.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

So, what happened to the gallery and lessons options from sketch pad. I'm assuming that they're not being added in now.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@dizzy_boy
I'm not really sure. I think people are mistaking the lessons and gallery as aseperate app, which is what will be added to sketchpad. That's how I understood it.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I would imagine that extra Sketchpad content finally gets added and people who have Sketchpad get a financial incentive to get the new title.

Th3PlaidHatter

Th3PlaidHatter said:

Looking forward to seeing what more artistic people than me can do with it. Get ready to see my ugly color stick figures soon though!

Cherkov

Cherkov said:

This isn't really a new announcment. Their reason for releasing Sketchpad was to get the drawing tools into artists hands early to share their artwork on Miiverse, while Nintendo continued to work on the lessons portion of this 'game' to be released later. If I remember correctly, it was originally supposed to be released during the 2013 holiday season.

DinoFett

DinoFett said:

I stopped using it for a while because of the shortage of canvas's, I like the software but I did not want to erase anything.