Bayonetta Download Code Included With Retail and eShop Copies of Bayonetta 2

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

So, calm your horses

During E3 Nintendo made the rather pleasing announcement that upcoming system exclusive Bayonetta 2 will come with a copy of the original Bayonetta. As demonstrated through the company's Treehouse broadcast, meanwhile, the Wii U version of the first title in the series will also include GamePad touch controls and Nintendo-themed outfits and references.

That was exciting news, though some decidedly iffy wording on the game's official website suggested that only physical retail copies would come with the original for free; this seemed rather unfair, though we did advise that pitchforks be calmly placed in a safe area until Nintendo could clarify the situation.

Thankfully, a Q & A on one of Nintendo's Facebook accounts — with Bayonetta 2 Director Yusuke Hashimoto and Producer Akiko Kuroda — has clarified the situation. It says the following:

The original version of Bayonetta will be available via a digital download on eShop when you purchase Bayonetta 2 (either a box version or digital copy of the game).

That's rather clear and comprehensive, also confirming that it'll be a download code that we'll received in boxed versions. With that now settled, are you planning to pick this up and, if so, will you go with the physical or download version?

[via facebook.com]

Related Games

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Thank god. E3 actually made me interested in Bayonetta 2 and I thought I'd have to go with the physical game.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Aww I was hoping it was a two disc set. Oh well, now at least EVERYONE can enjoy Bayo 1 regardless of how you buy it

Kifa

Kifa said:

Oh, so it's digital only? Shame, I hoped that it would be included on disc (especially considering the fact that those discs could fit two and a half X360 discs on them), but it still will be good to have the game on my Wii U. And it's good that "digital people" are not left hanging on this one. ;)

IxC

IxC said:

Well that's going to be an unfortunate waste of space on my Wii U.

It's going to be somewhere around 8 - 11GB based on the file sizes of the 360/PS3 versions.

Really would've preferred it to be on the disc.

Taceus

Taceus said:

If it's the same case as MK8, in which the free game also gives you Nintendo Network Premium points, then it's eShop for me.
Off-Topic: Did I miss the memo when they changed DDP(Digital Deluxe Promotion) to NNP(Nintendo Network Premium)?

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I need to make storage space decisions. Well I own the first on the 360. Maybe one of my friends would want the code.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@IxC -Yeah you summed it up nicely. Guess I'll just play it and delete it as I dont have a HDD yet. I did stick in a USB thumbdrive but I odn't like that you can't choose where stuff goes, it autos to the thumbdrive, so I'm taking it out.

Good news for the DL crowd, thats for sure, controversy averted.

GeniusDan

GeniusDan said:

That decided for me, I will be getting this after all. Would have been silly if the first game was physical only, since I only buy digital now I might have skipped it. Good news.

Plutonian

Plutonian said:

I would rather the physical copy be sold as a two disc set, and a dl code come with the digital purchase of two. I don't like digital and always prefer a physical copy, but in this case there is no other option.

IxC

IxC said:

@rjejr

If you attach a USB device, everything automatically goes to it? So you can't use the internal storage anymore?!

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

@IxC : Of course you can. You can keep a copy of your save data/software on both the internal storage and your USB hard drive, if you have enough free space, HOWEVER, if you move your save data to a USB device, the Wii U will write to the USB device by default (or USB drive 1 if you happen to have two USB drives plugged in).

erv

erv said:

But what about my pitchfork opportunity? What do I petition about now?

MAB

MAB said:

@Spoony_Tech & @Ryno

Untitled

SEGA will never miss out on a opportunity to take my money... Looks like you will just have to settle for the superior DIGITAL 4 LYFE version of Bayonetta 1 instead ;)

FragRed

FragRed said:

Like many on here I just assumed it was on the same disc. Its not like the disc couldn't support both games. I have crap internet and would be concerned about the huge download that would be needed for the first game.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Yeah, I wonder about the size. So I guess I will keep my PS3 copy.

Maybe Bayo will make me get an HDD?

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Still going to get this game, but on the same token, does this mean those who get the game used WON'T be able to get Bayonetta 1?

I suppose it's time to start saving up for a hard drive...

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

Physical for me. Sidenote: this pretty well decreases the preowned Bayonetta 2 physical release value, since the code most likely has already been used by the original buyer. Not my problem though - the only Wii (U) game I've sold/given away was Metroid Prime 3 and that was after getting Metroid Prime Trilogy.

MrCanzine

MrCanzine said:

Don't like the idea of digital only since it can't be sold with the disc. Hopefully the original can be purchased on eshop as well so people buying used have the opportunity to purchase the original, but depending on the price of the original in the eshop it may end up being better to just purchase new and het the free download code than buy used and pay full price for the first.

in either case, I have to fo hard drive shopping, my little basic model can't take it. Additional USB stick only had enough room for Wii fit U. Now I can't fit my free pikmin from mk8 and this just adds to my dilemma, :)

outburst

outburst said:

Noooooooo... I will need an external hard disk if that's the case. Which I've been avoiding. I might not get the game. I will have to think about it.

TourianTourist

TourianTourist said:

Wasn't there a Special Edition with both games? It might be that the Special Edition has both games as disc, while the normal retail and eShop versions simply give you a code.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Once again optimism pays off.
I just find it funny that the other day people were mocking digital and praising physical because of this, then karma just turn around made this happen.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

EShop version and yes, people who were saying that only those buying the physical release with only one line of text as evidence were being a bit silly. You can love your discs, but they are fast becoming a thing of the past.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Digital download instead of being on a disc? Boo!

(It's a freebie, so not really worth complaining about... but I'm staunchly pro-physical when it comes to games so this is unfortunate news for me because the freebie went from "super awesome news" to "I'm sure others will be happy with it". Shame they couldn't have made the physical version all physical and the digital version all digital to keep both camps happy.)

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

Bayonetta Wii U: 10-11GB.
Bayonetta 2 Wii U: 14-16GB.
At the high end, no, one disc would not be sufficient to support this. The Wii U's proprietary optical disc only supports 25GB and, unlike the Wii disc, does not support dual layer recording.
It's a cost saving strategy, but hey, a free game is a free game. With or without the original download, it's still a day one buy for me.
Then again, there's alot of day one buys for me on Wii U.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

11 GB for Bayo? Well, I think I can finish the second one while the first one is downloading...

joey302

joey302 said:

Jeez they couldn't squeeze the first game on the same disk or package 2 discs in the box???

rylo151

rylo151 said:

Well hopefully the bayonet ta download counts towards the premium cash back thing like the mario kart download game did. That deal was awesome, got super Mario kart mario kart 8 game and wario and 14 dollars eshop credit for 69 bucks. Hopefully same sort of thing like that happens here too. :)

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Arg why did it have to be a download code. :<

I was hoping to play it day one but with my speed I would have to wait a few days. I do have the original on the 360 but have yet to play it (brother owns the game) and I was going to play the original on the Wii U just so I have gotten use to the controls on the pad.

Now I don't know if I should just wait for the game to become cheaper and just play the 360 version. If the original was the same disc as Bayo 2 or on a second disc I would have bought it day one.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

Got Bayonetta for PS3 way back, and could never really get into it. Found it extremely easy to lose track of what was going on, even where Bayonetta was on the screen.

I'm really torn on whether or not to get the sequel. I've heard the PS3 version was rubbish, and it was much more enjoyable on 360.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I guess later on, they'll sell Bayonetta 2 without the download code for the first one included and put the first one on the eShop on it's own.

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

Very disappointing to here that the first game is download only. I would have bought it definitely if the games had both been on disc(s), but now I'm not sure.

dumedum

dumedum said:

Great news. I can cancel my preorder now and get the superior digital versions.

MajinSoul

MajinSoul said:

Oh wow ... they give you Bayonetta 1 if you buy the 2nd one. Then people start to complain that the people that buy it digitally won't get it. Now everyone gets it and people start to complain again? The stupidity in here is outrageous...

__Link__

Link__ said:

@RainbowGazelle same here. I was gonna get this day one if both games were on the same disc. But I hate that only Bayo 2 will be on disc and Bayo 1 will have to be digital download. Now I just might pass.

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

@MajinSoul Yeah, seriously. Back when people were assuming they'd only get Bayonetta 2, nobody was complaining. But now, just because it doesn't happen exactly as they want, they are so vindictive as to say "now I won't buy it". What are you, 4 years old? Come on.

purpleibby

purpleibby said:

no doubt MajinSoul.......people get a grip....what s wrong with u? Bayo2 on it's own is a day 1 purchase, then you find out it will be a digital for The FREE first so then your not gonna support nintendo or this awesome developer. Yes I too would prefer a physical copy too but that doesn't change anything for me........check yourself. This generation of gamers suck, your really showing your colors.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@MAB you crack me up with your posts mate! Maybe partly because I'm on the DIGITAL 4 LYFE initiative as well! Lol

I prepared myself for the worst, I had already paid for Bayo 2 in full, now I can put that money towards something else...

therick112

therick112 said:

Hooray, I've gone complete digital for Wii U (2 TB hard drive) and 3DS (128 GB SD card) and was not looking forward to the purchase of physical media.

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

It almost make me laugh, when half the comment of the original news was so physical-elitist like "I don't care, I'm buying physical", or bringing down those who wanted it digitally. Now the tide have turned, and if those same people want to enjoy Bayo 1 on Wii U, they will need to do it digitally :) In my case, I'm happy to see I will be able to have both on my HDD (faster load time, digital deluxe promotion, no disc tray usage and sound, and no shelf space used, what's not to like about a digital Wii U ).

element187

element187 said:

Awesome, can't wait to have both Bayonetta's on my HDD... I love my 2tb drive :) It houses all of my Ninty published games.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I hope this isn't the only way to get Bayonetta 1. I don't like it when publishers make very limited games, especially in digital download form.

I personally see something like Bayonetta 1 being $20 on the eShop and the Bayonetta 2 code in box gives you that ($20 worth of DDP credit) while on the eShop you get a $20 discount on it ($0 worth of DDP credit) or maybe the opposite (like the Super Mario Kart promo, the DDP credit is based on my experiences with NNP there).

@Taceus DDP has always been NNP outside of America.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I'll delay my purchase until I get an external hard drive for my Wii U, then. That'll likely be some time next year.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Shame bayonetta 1 is not on disc but i don't mind as Bayonetta 2 will be fantastic. I have Bayonetta 1 climax edition on ps3 and its a great bundle.

pr0t0man

pr0t0man said:

This make me sad I really wanted the game to be on disk I don't have 7 to 12 gigs or maybe more then that left of my Wii u looks like I need to buy a hard drive when this is out I need to start looking for deals

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

Quite frankly, you can buy a 2TB Seagate HDD (which is powered via an AC adapter) for less than 100$ and it will last you FOREVER! For all the advantage digital download has on Wii U, it's the best investment you can do.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Fine by me. Actually, I kinda like having at least SOME games on my hard drive. I buy retail 'cause the awful pricing of euro eShop but don't mind having these freebies on hd. And people low on space: you can always re-download everything, so as a last resort you can delete some content you're not playing at the time. Just keep the save files if you want.

HaNks

HaNks said:

would have been better on disc, at least for people buying the physical version. oh well, its FREE!!! amazing value considering work put it on the port :)

Shambo

Shambo said:

Two discs would 've been awesome, but I'm glad everyone will get to enjoy both games, and at least we get a physical release of an awesome looking game. I'm really excited!

AVahne

AVahne said:

Still just gonna go with physical, since there's no account system in place yet.

Mommar

Mommar said:

It also means I will finally have to buy an exterior hard drive I'm not thrilled about that.

HaNks

HaNks said:

i would have paid more to have it on disc too, hopefully a special edition with physical bayo 1 could still be on the cards.

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

I purchased the linked to hard drive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003MVZ60S?pc_redir=1402519619&robot_redir=1) off of Amazon because I needed it for the Mario Kart 8 promotion. I have been very pleased with it. It matches the Wii U system design and is intended for use in a media center so ventilation has been good in its small home. It's self-powered with 1TB, USB 2.0 and is pretty reasonably priced I think. I hope this helps any of you looking for hard drives!

brewsky

brewsky said:

@Taceus Deluxe Digital Promotion is what North America calls it. Nintendo Network Premium is what Europe calls it. No name change. ;)

Zobocop

Zobocop said:

Very disappointing. I was hoping the retail copy would be on a disc. You know, so I could keep it.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

After Pikmin 3, I'll need a Hard Drive for my WiiU.
I can transfer the Games off of the WiiU to the Hard Drive, correct?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The EU situation I thought was that it was only with the Special Edition ? (Fairly sure I read only yesterday that it is only with the special edition).

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I can finally get rid of this terrible PS3 port I've been holding onto for so many years.

BF-Medic

BF-Medic said:

Nice!! :) Now EVERYBODY who buys Bayonetta 2 will get a free game = Everybody wins.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! I'll be getting a digital download of both, thanks Nintendo & Platinum! Though I wonder if Nintendo will sell Bayonetta 1 as an eShop only game, seperately from Bayonetta 2. & if people will buy it, beat it, then buy Bayonetta 2 & realise they could've had Bayo for free the whole time...

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

2 games for the price of one? I'm definitely interested now. Man my back log....

Heiki

Heiki said:

@ReigningSemtex Because I'm not an enthusiast of digital downloads on Nintendo platforms. I'm still getting the game though, but I may just sell the code.

Btw, why is the ps3 version the worst one?

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@Heiki
Well the loading times are longer, the colours are more washed out and not as vibrant and its has a better frame rate on the 360 by no means a bad game on PS3 but a better game on the 360. It was quite widely reported at the time of release.
I totally get you i'm not an enthusiast of digital at all except for indy games tbh

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

would be happier with physical disk, dont have the money for a hdd. methinks this is Ninty discouraging used game sales since the code will likely have already been used by the last owner.

some may even buy the game, dl bayo1, then return the game for a full refund. voila, free game.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@IxC - "If you attach a USB device, everything automatically goes to it?"

@sillygostly did a good job of explaining it already but her'es my take. You can still use the internal storage, but when you click on something to purchase in eShop - or DL a free demo I suppose, it's been so long - it automatically goes to your external storage. You can go into System Management and manually copy it over after it's done. I really would like to be given the choice BEFORE it DLs though.

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

I'm not a huge fan of downloads on Nintendo hardware due to the game being tied to the hardware. Having said that whether it's download only or on disc it's a free game I wasn't expecting to get when buying Bayonetta 2, having missed out on the original.
Day one purchase for me

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

Was going to Download anyway, great news for me as I get to sell my old 360 copy now. Love Bayonetta!

BoobooMama

BoobooMama said:

I'm so looking forward to playing with the Samus costume! Good thing I skipped on the original Bayonetta when it first came out. It's gonna be even sweeter now!

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Smart to exclude this from the sequel's download as people would have to wait a long time for both of these to download

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Ugh, I was hoping to rent this to see if I like it first but now if I want to play the first game before the sequel I guess I have to buy the whole thing without knowing if it's my cup of tea or not. Not to mention having to buy a hardrive, even after clearing my Deluxe Wii U of demos I'll bet it won't be able to fit a 11 GB download in there without deleting some actual games.

Wish it came as a two disc package, but thinking about it, I guess the cost of including a second disc might run the price up (I know discs don't cost much these days, but it's the only reason I can think of for making it download only, besides losing resale value which I don't think Nintendo would ever do or agree with doing), which would kinda kill the whole idea of the first game being a freebie.

Darkness3131

Darkness3131 said:

I'm sad that's it's a download code but in this case I'm just glad the the first game is coming. As someone who has only owned Nintendo consoles, I've never been able to play the first game. Now i'll have a chance before i start the second. Wonderful addition.

Jahir

Jahir said:

Are you people complaining about FREE Bayo 1 just because it's not in the same disc as Bayo 2? Come on guys.

Hotfusion

Hotfusion said:

Ah, Nintendo fans. Some of you make me laugh. Give you something for free and you want it wrapped in gold and delivered in a Rolls Royce.

jahasnell

jahasnell said:

Perfect! I really didn't want to have to buy the physical version, but I absolutely would have if it was the only way to get both games. I buy all my games digitally now and have since my PS3. People fail to realize that an hdd and a disc are both just storage mediums (albeit one is ridiculously small and expensive and the other is massive and relatively cheap). The difference is if your disc breaks you're out of luck, but if your hard drive crashes you just re-download the game for free. Oh, and if you download you don't get another box to put on your crowded shelf... So there's that.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Well, this is unfortunate, not that I'm complaining about getting the game for free. I was going to do everything in my power to avoid having to get a hard drive for my Wuu. I've been very picky about what I download versus what I buy retail for this reason. Bayonetta is likely to take up a huge chunk of space, and that could mean trouble for storing all my eShop games on the console itself.

@jahasnell I think you misunderstand our viewpoint, sir. Crowding the shelf with more boxes is part of the point.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

I was hoping that it would be on the disc. Oh well guess I'll have to hook up one of my hard drives.

MAB

MAB said:

@Genesaur There was always gonna be a time when the physical realm would inevitably surrender to my digital forces... That time is nigh ;)

Untitled

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

That's good news, but I probably would still buy this physically. My general rule is I only purchase digital games when I don't plan on selling them.

One-Winged-Pit

One-Winged-Pit said:

It is disappointing to learn that the first one will be a digital code when they could have so easily put it on the disc but the fact they are giving the first one away for free is good enough. The Wii U hard drive is only 32GB, after all.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

The fact that the first game is included as a bonus (even if digital only) sweetens the deal for me, I must say. Outlook is much better!