Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival Is On The Cards For A Euro 3DS Release This June

Posted by Damien McFerran

Play your cards right

Konami has confirmed that it is bringing Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival to Europe on June 26th.

The first entry in the card-battling series to hit the 3DS, Zexal World Duel Carnival launched in Japan at the end of last year and is based on the Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal anime and manga. This is also the first time that the Zexal universe has been used in a video game.

Konami has confirmed that the game will launch at retail and on the 3DS eShop as a digital download.

Here's the rub, taken from the official press release:

The new title will be available as both a physical and digital product, and is the first time the series has graced the 3DS system. It also marks the first use of the popular Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal universe within KONAMI’s video game series.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival is based on characters and events from the popular TV series. The game centres on the titular World Duel Carnival where 11 playable characters are vying to compete. Each character has a bespoke card deck, and this allows users to get straight into the action as they select their favourite character and enter hard-fought duels with the cards they hold.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival also allows the player to develop their character’s deck, with advanced users able to build a custom deck from the 5,500 cards the game contains. Similarly, a total of 40 characters from the TV show feature in the game, who players will meet as they prepare for the tournament. Newcomers to the series will also be able to hone their skills courtesy of the game’s tutorial elements, making Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival the perfect jump-on point for newcomers to the world of Yu-Gi-Oh!

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival will be available digitally via the Nintendo eShop or as a cartridge, the latter of which is exclusively packaged with three highly collectable Yu-Gi-Oh! cards: Snow Plow Hustle Rustle, Night Express Knight and Special Schedule.

Are you a long-time fan of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series? Are you interested in playing this on your 3DS? Let us know with a comment.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Would like this to come out in NA for like $10. I had one of the GBA games, they are fun enough.

worldstraveller

worldstraveller said:

about time! I still have the DS(I only have one, misses 6 to buy) and Tag Force series(missing 3) to collect, I love the series and most of their games.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Neko_Chan We've only had confirmation of the Euro release so far, that doesn't mean a US release isn't happening.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Wow, took them quite some time! I was wondering when they'd finally release a new Yu-Gi-Oh! game on a Nintendo console (Over The Nexus was the last one, and that was for DS, in 2009).
I like Yu-Gi-Oh! (though typing it is a pain...), but paying 40€ for playing with every card available at game release point is a much better deal than buying the actual cards in hopes of getting good ones.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Wonder if we'll se the GBA games on Wii U? Konami do have a rather large stack in the franchise, if not pretty much own it, and they have supported the VC a fair bit lately...

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I might buy this if it comes over. The World Duel Carnival was a pretty awesome arc.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

FINALLY... but this came out in Japan like a year ago, and the card selection was outdated even then. So unless this is an updated version and/or with DLC and online play, it's not going to be a very good deal...

eleccross

eleccross said:

(Waving fists in air) EUROPE!!!!!!!! (I've been waiting for this game since before it came out in Japan and reside in the US).

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@Kaze_Memaryu "I was wondering when they'd finally release a new Yu-Gi-Oh! game on a Nintendo console (Over The Nexus was the last one, and that was for DS, in 2009)"

Actually the last one was for the Wii in December 7 2010(Yugioh 5DS Duel Transer), I should know since I had it :P

Anyway, I'm hoping for a US Release, not because I like Zexal(I hate it, and Arc V looks even worse), but I'll tolerate it to play a Yugioh game with more cards in it, can't play Duel Transer anymore due to my Wii hating disks and I'm kinda tired of sending my Wii to repairs(So it's pretty much my VC/WiiWare machine :P)

I don't care that it doesn't have online, since I'm not much of a online gamer(People disconnecting, rude people & bad connections in general kinda ruined my online experience).

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

This is nice, I was beginning to think that the card battle game genre was dead since I seen or heard any in over 3 years.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@ultraraichu I still see people playing on malls & such a couple of times.
It definitely isn't as big as it was before, but people still play it.

I've seen a lot of people talk about an online version of Yugioh called Duel Network(or something like that).

Personally I don't buy the cards anymore, but I buy the games.
Yugioh is probably one of the few card games that interest me at the moment(Besides UNO, but that's more casual than anything), Yugioh just has a lot of different strategies you can do, which is what interests me the most.

Granted I can't say anything regarding the XYZs & the new Pendulum summons(From the new show Yugioh Arc V), since I haven't been keeping track with anything outside the 5DS stuff.

swampertdude

swampertdude said:

It looks cool, but its gonna already be 2 sets behind when it comes out, legacy of the valiant and primal origins have both come out since this game was developed, and it doesn't look like were getting dlc anytime soon either.

Regardless, it looks fun, but definitely not adequate enough for play testing of any sort. At least I can still make my spellbooks :p

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

Have they balanced the card game any better? I used to love the world championship games on DS but the later ones really started killing it. They were so poorly optimized duels could take an hour or more just waiting for the lag. They wouldn't patch the games so even on launch day the card list was out of date.

Really what got me though was their use of themes. Out of their thousands of cards they'd release expansion packs that had a theme and that basically overpowered any other deck you could build. At any given time there were typically only ever 3 or 4 decks that work. That's boring you have thousands of cards and about 200 are useful.

I'd consider it if you can realistically use around half the 5000 cards for deck building. Otherwise yugioh has just become pick the overpowered deck and play everyone else playing the same overpowered deck.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

@ultraraichu Nah it's far from dead. Last I checked, Magic the Gathering is still a huge thing. People actually make a living by winning tournaments. I Know Yu-Gi-Oh isn't as big as it used to be, but some people still play it, surprisingly.

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

Does this game even have online play? The Championship series and Duel Transer had online... Some are telling me "No" and some are telling me "Yeah".

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@ColdingLight I've been following the game a bit, and it doesn't have online as far as information I've gathered on other websites.

I think they can patch in new cards though(Not entirely 100% sure on this)

anthonypokemon

anthonypokemon said:

Yay i hope this game comes to the US, in the meantime ill play Yu-Gi-Oh! Millenium duels on my PS3 to pass the time

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

I like Yugioh so this might be a game i am actually interested in. Also am not to bothered that it will be missing some of the recent cards since a lot of the cards would still be new to me.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Interesting news.
I stopped to play the card game... oh my... must be around ten years ago XD But I still find it a nice enjoyable card game, love to buy the games once every 2-3 editions for enjoy it again ^_^

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@Kaze_Memaryu Nope, wrong again :P
You're thinking of Wheelie Breakers, which was the first 5DS Wii game, I was talking about Duel Transer which was your regular old Yugioh game with just the normal duels(No Turbo duels or Tag Team duels).

That one was a somewhat decent Mario Kart clone, had 1 major flaw though, it didn't have a drift button, in a game filled with corners, I always found myself slamming into the walls XD

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I'd kill for a pokemon trading card game with all the latest cards and the ability to download future cards through DLC. I'd take Yu-gi-oh! over nothing as long as it's a physical release though.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@Kaze_Memaryu It's ok, the Wii games didn't seem to get much attention, so unless you played them yourself there isn't much to find online.

Duel Transer had a new original story, it was pretty generic, but I mainly bought it for the card battling,
Didn't have a DS at the time, so this was my first actual non spinoff Yugioh game(aside from one of the GBA games).
Ironically it had online unlike this new 3DS game XD

jamiljamtheman

jamiljamtheman said:

As neat as this is, I kinda wish they didn't make the dueling gameplay look like a GBA game. I'm not saying that there should be 3D models of cards, as that would take too long, but there should be SOME visual smoothness and flair. Or at least a 3rd dimension on the top screen. Even WC 2008 on NDS and "Forbidden Memories" on PS1 had duel fields more interesting to look at. This game could have been on NDS; it looks like the dueling makes 0 use of the 3DS's 3D or anything.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

@Excep7ional @Shotgunryugan That is cool to know. The only time I heard anything in regard to TCG is when tournament season is around and that's only for Yugioh and Pokemon.

Wish there was more TCG video games though (not just Yugioh). Better to spend $30-$50 on a game then unknowingly spend $80+ on your RL dream deck.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

@ultraraichu I agree with you. I would actually love to play a TCG video game, especially Pokemon, since I was always interested in learning but never took the time to do so. But oh man, some prices on these Real life cards are ridiculous, especially for rare/good ones (mainly Magic the Gathering.) If you want to play a good card game, I suggest you try out HearthStone, from the makers of World of Warcraft. It's a free to play game so it won't really cost you anything. I haven't played it myself yet, but people are always talking about how good and addictive it is.

Ruceyod

Ruceyod said:

Finally, a new game ! I wonder what happened between Championship 2011 and now. Now, to hope for a US release...

Okumei

Okumei said:

Glad it's coming to America, Zexal is personally my favorite Yugioh by far. Now the question remains: Are they going to Dub this game or add Subs?

Zatioichi

Zatioichi said:

I just checked out the game play and honestly it's such a let down.
From what I've seen so far Konami would have been better off doing a Nightmare Troubadour 3ds remake. In a perfect world they would use the manga story line of every game but as it this game should have been released on DS. At least there was use of 3d..I was really excited about having a yugioh game on 3ds but this just was a let down. I guess it'll be cool to play with the new cards through.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

There is a game on PSN and XBL called Yu-GI-Oh Millenium Duels. I'm not so sure if it's new or not, but I only found out about it today. Some of you guys may be interested if you have a PS3 and/or 360.

Raviel89

Raviel89 said:

@Shotgunryugan "Over the Nexus" was the last Yugioh game out in the States and it did not come out in 2009, but 2011. I still play the game but don't care for the turbo duel concept. It is a pain.
Also with the fifth season of Yu-gi-oh already on air, this is likely the first and last Zexal game.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@Raviel89 Huh, for some reason I thought that game came out before Duel Transer.

You're right, my bad :P
(Also yeah this is most definitely the last Zexal game, though I'm not sure why the US version is released in September).

TheHolyDrumstix

TheHolyDrumstix said:

Everyone does know, That there is No form of, Online Functionability In this game, so for those Hoping to challenge Their Friends online, Sorry, but it won't be Happening.

Raviel89

Raviel89 said:

Not playing online doesn't bother me since I never play "Over the Nexus" 2011 online before or now anyway.