Video: This "Upside-Down Test" Mario Kart 8 Commercial is a Bit Awesome

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"It's Flipping Fun"

Nintendo has expressed its desire to heavily promote Mario Kart 8 in the coming weeks and months, no doubt hoping to tempt a lot of gamers on the fence regarding the Wii U to take the plunge. In-store ads and a Mario Kart TV web app will play roles, though we should expect the company to spend some marketing money on good-old TV adverts, too.

One that seems to be doing the rounds in the U.S., at least, is themed around an "Upside-Down Test". It starts off with some decent visual effects to show a real-life kart flipping over into anti-gravity, before cutting to in-game footage. Check it out below, uploaded by Mariohenri90 on YouTube.

This seems like a neat TV ad to us, with comments suggesting its been spotted on the Cartoon Network, for example. Nintendo of America has been on a decent run with some of its concepts, often blending fantastical real-life footage with game clips.

Are you a fan of this commercial, and have you spotted it on TV?

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip.

Ninocom65

Ninocom65 said:

Well that's one way of turning the console wars on its head.
Brilliant, cant wait!

Kosmo

Kosmo said:

Yes! That's a good commercial! Not cheesy, focusing on the game...

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Commercials for Nintendo's biggest Wii U games have pretty much been great lately. Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World and DKC: Tropical Freeze all had great focus on selling the game.

...Also, this has nothing on MKWii's commercials. You can race 'em! XD

Wolfgabe

Wolfgabe said:

This is the best Wii U commercial yet. No dubstep, no disney channel couch families, just nice sweet gameplay footage. This commercial has 90's written all over it

rjejr

rjejr said:

Didn't like the guys voice, but my son and I give it thumbs up.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Seen it yesterday during Tom & Jerry on Cartoon Network. The commercial is well done and I hope they plaster it everywhere. It definitely caught the attention of my 2 boys who immediately asked me to turn on Mario Kart

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I thought the commercial was ok. I prefer showing only in game footage. But at least this is something. Ive been tracking this game and the WiiU on best sellers lists. Its doing VERY well!!!

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

Now all we need is a commercial for the new Super Smash Brothers made like the one for the N64 original.

I can dream.

RoomB31

RoomB31 said:

Feels like an HD 90's ad, which is to say, not bad, and nostalgia fueled.

rmeyer

rmeyer said:

It was simple and not bad. Perhaps a less nickelodeon commercial would be nice. Do an Indy 500 then have Mario and his gang show up. Tap into the adult crowd instead of limiting to small children.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

I had a nostalgic twinge watching that! It reminds me of the adverts Nintendo used to do in the 80's/90's.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Yep, the add reminds me a little of the good ole' days back when Nintendo was king.

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

@Genesaur they have to do that under the law. No doubt if they didn't someone would try to pull something aswell. Unless of course they show the bundle where the game is included...
Anyway, good advert. Nothing cheesy about it at all. Hopefully in the UK there will be adverts on ITV/Channel 4/ Dave etc. Haven't seen anything yet but when 3D world was out, they did make some effort. Hoping the UK advert isn't cheesy or people will just ignore it. Then again, it's doing well in the pre order sections of most websites.

Action51

Action51 said:

Nicely done...it's funny and friendly without being saccharine sweet.

I think this will get some people waiting on actual games for their "current gen" systems to take the plunge and pick up a Wii U.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I have not seen it on TV yet. It's good and I believe my two sons would like it. I would have advertised that you get a free DL game with purchase. That's a huge selling point for someone deciding if they're going to get it or not.

Sherman

Sherman said:

90's are back!! This felt so retro!! It was an old school commercial, just like they use to make them back in the day. Glad to see that. And mainly...

No damn-numb-fake-samile-neverplayedagameinmylife-***holes

Chillama

Chillama said:

@JubilifeRival

Eh Flippin Fun is totes coo with me. Flip ain't no swear, it may allude to the badbadbadbadbaddest word, but it means no harm. Can't wait for Mariokart by the way!!

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

FINALLY. Something that isn't just showing kids doing kiddy things. Nintendo seriously needs to step away from its "kiddie" commercials. They have a bad enough time as it is trying to explain that they cater to everyone and not just children.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I was half expecting the guy at the end to get a fast closeup and shout "SEGA!"

Awesome ad, brings me right back to the 90's.