Video: How To Become A Mario Kart 8 Master In Eight Easy Steps

Posted by Damien McFerran

Our newcomer's guide to mastering the basics

Mario Kart 8 launches at the end of this month, and if you've already read our glowing review, then you'll be well aware that this is a game you need to experience for yourself.

The Mario Kart series has gradually evolved and developed over two decades, and there will be many people preparing to play this latest installment who have been following the franchise since Super Mario Kart on the SNES.

However, it's important to remember that Mario's racing exploits have universal appeal, and there will be many other people who have either never played a Mario Kart game before or have allowed their adoration of the games to lapse over the years. Fear not, because we're here with a short video guide to mastering the basics and starting your career as a on-track champion.

In under three minutes we run you through all the core mechanics of this new entry, covering everything from the Spin Dash to the Boost Start. Feast your eyes and let us know if this video has armed you with the knowledge required to enter this fresh racing season with renewed confidence.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

When I do a start boost, I actually hold down the button, then let go for a little bit, then hold it down until I start.

RennanNT

RennanNT said:

@memoryman3 Thats the safer way. There was 2 times where I held the button too early, and after noticing that, I released and then pressed again on the 1 count and, to my surprise, got the boost...

rjejr

rjejr said:

Sill can't believe how good this game looks, all the little details they put into it and the characters really getting involved. Do Miis carry the items and animate like that when performing an airborne trick? That would be pretty cool.

IS that's Rory's VO work? I didn't see his name anywhere in the post or hear it in the video, I just recognize it from the Pikmin faux doc. Anyway, just wondering if his cat has a Mii?

DespyCL

DespyCL said:

This video will be very useful for beginner players. As for me, i'm ready to kick butts online, hehehe.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Nice video. It must be pretty useful for the making of these videos to have MKTV.

I did not know about slipstreaming.

outburst

outburst said:

@NintendoLife
May I ask if you can play 2 players split screen on the gamepad alone? And/or you can play 1 or 2 players on the gamepad using a pro or wiimote utilizing the gamepad as screen only?

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@outburst There's no second-screen multiplayer, the GamePad can either be used as a horn / map or to display the same image as the TV (so it will be splitscreen if you use the GamePad).

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@rjejr No worries, to be fair we didn't mention who did the video, like we usually do!

outburst

outburst said:

@Damo
Okay thanks for the clarification. :D so it's possible then to play on the gamepad and use another controller.

I misinterpreted a video preview somewhere when they said it mirrored the tv but showed a split screen (which I assumed the TV but could be the gamepad screen) then the horn ( gamepad) then a single player screen (I assumed the gamepad mirroring the first player only while split screen on TV).

I just wish when they post a gamepad screenshot or video, they'd put the gamepad border on the screen (or put a caption "gamepad screen") to avoid confusing it to the tv screen. Ah well, sorry for going off-topic again. :)

rmeyer

rmeyer said:

Been playing the demo at GameStop at lunch time with my brother everyday this week. The game is amazing

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

All these years playing Mario Kart, and I never knew about slip-streaming.

A VERY well done vid. Great job guys!

Nico07

Nico07 said:

Love the video. This seems like it has been possibly the longest month of my life. One week to go!!

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@ClassicJetterz Nice. I missed out on both last year's E3 sampling and the recent one last week too (thank you work). With virtually every aspect having been in the media for the past month I've had a hard time not watching every single course and match. I am so excited for next Friday, this is the reason I bought a Wii U at launch.

RFox182

RFox182 said:

Pretty cool learned some stuff I didn't know ^__^ normally doesn't take that long to get comfortable with a Mario Kart game though...sooooo ready for this freaking game to come out and for my free download of Zelda Wind Waker, May 30th is going to be a good day nuff said!

Qn1f3

Qn1f3 said:

Can't wait, these tricks are familiar if you've played the previous installments of the series. Which I think most Nintendoites should've done! :)

It looks fantastic and the soul of the MK IP seems intact, so I'm simply looking forward to see you folks on the racetrack in a near future!