Video: Experience the Blue Shell Blues in Mario Kart 8 With The Brett Domino Trio

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We've all been blue shelled at some point

Mario Kart 8 does a lot right, including the fact that the blue / spiny shell moves along the ground to take out others en-route to the race leader, but the mere presence of that item is enough to irritate some. It likely annoys stronger players the most, as their reward for being rather good at the game is that they may be ruthlessly punished and dragged back to scrap it out with everyone else.

It's an item that's come to represent being hard-done-by, unfairly penalised at the last moment or, if you're particularly frustrated by it, cheated. Musical act The Brett Domino Trio has written a song about how being "blue shelled" can mean any number of trials and unfair happenings in real life; Nintendo UK likes it enough to have published the video itself, and wants you to tweet with #blueshelled to share your pain.

It's a pretty fun and true video, it must be said. Let us know what you think, while below is a Mario Kart TV highlight uploaded by our own Ken Barnes, occasional contributor to Nintendo Life and editor over at sister-site Pure Xbox. You could try a million times and struggle to have a race ending as close as this...

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

This is why I check the touch screen all the time in MK7. So I can share by giving second the lead just for a few seconds....

onery

onery said:

Close indeed! Some fine use of the Mario Kart TV addition! #blueshelled #imdoingthiswrongarenti

Porky

Porky said:

Um, where in the Nintendo universe did the Super Horn come from??

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

@Gravedigga13

You could use a mushroom to avoid it in MKWii as well. The problem is when you've been in or near the front the entire race, so you don't get mushrooms.

brewsky

brewsky said:

@Aqueous It's hilarious when three of four players online try to avoid 1st place when someone holds a Blue Shell.

There was one time I got a Blue Shell online. I was in 5th place, and everyone in front of me were all trying to avoid 1st before I even threw the shell. So I passed them all while holding the Blue Shell.

YoshiTails

YoshiTails said:

@brewsky If you're in 1st and you have a blue shell and you fire a blue shell, what happens? Does the universe implode at the prospect of a rift in the shell-space-time-continuum?

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I have had that exact thing happen to me in just about every iteration of Mario Kart I have played, getting hit by a blue shell just as I touched the finish line. It was easier in 64 since the shell would make you tumble forwards for a moment before tumbling to a stop.

Shpongled_Mario

Shpongled_Mario said:

@Gravedigga13 I know, you could do it on the Wii version too, it's just much easier with the super horn lol. I never had a mushroom enough times in first while having a blue shell coming for me to really practice the timing of it and never bothered to watch a youtube video showing the timing. Thanks though lol.