Video: Comcept's Latest Mighty No. 9 Footage Shows Off Some Tasty Gameplay

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"The pew pew heard you, friends"

Mighty No. 9 on the Wii U and 3DS eShop is still a good while away, currently planned for Spring 2015. As the result of living up to one of the most successful crowdfunding campaigns ever seen, however, developer Comcept has ensured that it's continued to update its Kickstarter page with regular updates.

The latest post is perhaps the best yet, however, as it shows around 90 seconds of full gameplay, though naturally the developer is keen to emphasize that it's still early footage. Nevertheless it includes full backgrounds, enemy and environmental designs, also showing off Beck's dash move that absorbs energy from enemies. The studio posted the following message with the video:

Mighty May is coming to a close and we like to go out with a BANG!

...Or a pew pew pew, I guess? It’d be a really loud and majestic pew, I swear...

Perhaps a loud and/or majestic sound answering your cries for sweet, sweet game footage of the early Mighty playable ROMs you’ve seen INAFKING and the comcept staff playing!

Pictures just ain’t cutting it anymore, you say? You want to see the real deal, live and (mostly) uncut?

The pew pew heard, you, friends. And the pew pew abides. We’re thrilled to show you an exclusive first look at both Mighty No. 2 AND Mighty No. 5’s stages, including a sneak peak at the boss battles!!

It's looking rather decent at the moment, but check it out and let us know what you think.

[via kickstarter.com]

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

Looks good so far. I think the environment looks a bit bland. But I love the characters animations.

BLPs

BLPs said:

Glorious, glorious stuff.

I look forward to purchasing this in the Spring.

Now...what to do in the meantime?

outburst

outburst said:

Personally I dislike the dashing animation. I'd still like to see the character with a bit of energy and blurry animation. Not to be engulf completely with energy. Plus don't you think it's too over powered? Just shoot and dash. I have a feeling it will get boring quickly.

But this one is way better looking than any Rockman I've played. The enemies are pretty detailed too. I love that one on the ceiling that shot Beck with a rocket.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@outburst the dash isn't a attack Beck kills the enemy and dashs quickly to collect the energy they left behind I don't think we'd be able to dash though the entire game

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Never thought I'd say this, but my hype feeling for Mighty No. 9 has just left me. I really don't like the visual style, and the gameplay looks seriously one-sided. Especially the showcased enemies need more aggressive attack patterns.
Unless they change a lot about the formula, I'm out.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I'm expecting they'll add a lot more pizazz and contrast to the look as they get further, but it's got to be interesting/challenging developing the same across such a range of platforms. Not unlike developing SSB for both 3DS and Wii U I imagine.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

Looking forward to this, but the difficulty worries me. Mega Man is legendary for difficulty, and I hope Inafune doesn't forget that while developing this.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

No complaints from me. I cannot be harsh on a game that is around a year away.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@siconlol After reading that, I looked closely, and you're right! The enemy dies and its remains fall down, and then the energy hovers over it before the absorb dash occurs.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

The dash-as-offense mechanic looks fun. I'm sure some of the more bland areas are just an early build/demo purposes. But I hope we get a little more than just the new dash mechanic, because otherwise the Mega Ersatz vibe isn't as charming to me as one would've hoped.

Neferupitou

Neferupitou said:

Am I the only one who wishes the went with a hand drawn art style instead of a polygonal one?

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@FalconPunch yep! It's easy to get lost with everything that's going on but I don't think this game will be baby easy just more fast pace, kinda like the classic mega man games combined with X plus it's still a WIP :) maybe we might see a limitation to how much you can dash in a time period later on

Rafie

Rafie said:

I love the music on this bad boy! I'm looking forward to more stages and tunes when E3 comes around.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Kaze_Memaryu Please note that this game is still almost a year away and the final game will probably be different from what we are seeing today. As for the difficulty, you can't really know unless you played it for yourself. Inafune was forced to reduce the difficulty by half on the original Rockman and he thought it was going to ruin the game. However even after the difficulty reduction, the game is still pretty damn hard :D

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Hy8ogen I'm well aware of that, but showing us this kind of footage implies that it's pretty close to what they have in mind for their final product. We're supposed to get a good idea of how the general game flow works, and from what I can gather, it's not really interesting.

Also, the (in my opinion) really terrible visuals reinforce my disappoint with how this project is evolving...

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Kaze_Memaryu Dude we just saw 1.5 minutes of gameplay. As for the visuals I'm neutral towards it. I'm sure it will be beautiful when it hit the shelves. In Keiji we trust :D

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

I was hoping they used hand drawn sprites (like in Muramasa) instead of polygons. At least the music is awesome

Fire_Flower

Fire_Flower said:

@Yanchamaru I felt the same way about the visuals. I still like the way that the game is going, but I wished that the visuals were be similar to the early art that was shown on the KS page.

Emblem

Emblem said:

The more i see the more i'm disappointed, i wanted this to be more than just modern Mega-man. All the talk of moving forward and not just copy pasting Mega-man has yet to be proven to me.

Well at least the rabid Mega-man fans all seem to love it and all the suggestions from fans so far have been pushing the project close to clone than originality.

Windy

Windy said:

OK this game needs to be on my 3ds right now! Looks great! A lot of atmosphere the controls look nice and tight. It just looks like a root in tootin good time. Hope we a see it soon

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

The only thing that could make that footage excite me more is if it were an actual Mega Man game. Looks awesome and I can't wait!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hmmm, it doesn't look bad but the backgrounds look a bit generic. And the walking animation is a bit strange.