The 2014 My Famicase Exhibition Is Packed With Fascinating Flights Of Fictional Famicom Fancy

Posted by Damien McFerran

Too bad none of them are real games

Japanese game store Meteor has been running its "My Famicase" art exhibition for the past few years, and each year the entries go above and beyond our expectations. The idea is that artists create "fake" Famicom cartridge labels which are in keeping with the designs of the '80s and ''90s, but have a modern vibe as well.

This year there are some truly amazing designs on display, highlights of which we've posted below. You can view them all here.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

These are amazing! It's nice just to see some straight up art, with no tight AAA reputation behind it, or a super pretentious indie concept requiring sprites.

outburst

outburst said:

Sorry for off-topic but I still have that side-scrolling platformer on Famicom from Jaleco with that bald Japanese guy turning upside down to stomp enemies with his head. He'd go to outer space somewhere at the last part of the story. (I forgot the title but I remember Google goggles were able to translate the Japanese title and able to find the game itself). I'll post later when I get home. Too bad my Famicom broke a long time ago.

NekoGeo

NekoGeo said:

I made the entry #54 :D
Looks pretty simple compared to some elaborated artworks :p

Falchion

Falchion said:

Is the first one actual console wars? Where consoles actually fight each other? I would play that game as long as it had a large cast of consoles to play as.

outburst

outburst said:

I found a video on the game I still have that I mentioned above.
Tsuru Pika Hagemaru: Mezase! Tsuru Seko no Akashi…: http://youtu.be/5Y8YjIkBVUc

It is translated to English on the video. I never really understood the story back then. :D

Edit 2
Untitled

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I'm checking out the full gallery. Some totally nailed the classic art while others tend to be a bit too colorful but it depends on what the goal from the artist is.

I was surprised to see region lock (entry 13). It also has an English description.

Kirk

Kirk said:

See how pretty these carts are...

Like little works of art.

That's one of the things I'm going to miss going all digital.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

A fun concept! Syllabus and Crazy Balloon are my favorites here, while Cat Fishing (featuring not-Garfield) has its charms over on the full gallery.

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

I want to know what Tatsuya is about now, and I never will. Truly awesome art though! :3

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Dang it... I got overexcited when I read "Syllabus." If there would be such a thing, could there be a Final Exams expansion with the real sensation of having five exams in a single day?!