Square Enix Considering "Overseas" Release of Dragon Quest X

Posted by Tim Latshaw

But over which seas?

Locked in Japan since its release in 2012, Square Enix revealed its massively multi-player online RPG Dragon Quest X is under consideration for hitting new shores.

A slide from the company's most recent financial report states that "expansion to overseas market is under consideration" for the successful title. It should be noted that other games on this particular slide are discussed only in relation to Asian regions, but the vagueness of Dragon Quest X's entry leaves the possibility for wider localisation open at this time.

Dragon Quest X was first released on the Wii, followed by versions for the Wii U, PC, and most recently Android devices.

Square Enix saw a favourable turn of fortunes in its latest financial report. After taking a loss last year, the company has reported a net income of more than 6.5 billion yen ($65 million) for the fiscal year ending 31st March, 2014.

[via hd.square-enix.com, hd.square-enix.com, polygon.com]

Related Games

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

Most likely not to America just to add insult to injury like with Phantasy Star Online 2 :<

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Well, as long as the monthly payment is remedied to some degree (perhaps an initial membership fee or something could work) I would be incredibly excited to buy it. I mean, Dragon Quest remains my favourite JRPG series, and I would absolutely love to have X. Although I desire the 3DS ones even more...

element187

element187 said:

About dang time. I've been wanting a quality MMO/RPG on Wii U.... I know it will be expensive as heck to localize this particular game with all the dialog, but localizing is much cheaper then making a new game. So might as well pay to localize it and rake in a decent profit even if it doesn't sell very well.

element187

element187 said:

@Tsuzura I think the success of Bravely Default in the US would make Square interested in experimenting with DQ X for Wii U.

Shrug I'd buy it.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I'd love to see this game come to the States, the U needs some RPG love.

Blast

Blast said:

Take away the stupid monthly fee and we can talk Square Enix.

arkady77

arkady77 said:

please god PAL release. no one talks in DQ games anyway so release it already. music, artwork and gameplay mechanics are the best in JRPG. why should i have to buy a jap wiiu to play this and yakuza, RoTK etc
and where is Dark Souls?
edit;
screenshots dont do this series justice. a monthly fee is the norm for mmo but i'd rather buy full retail disc

Suicune

Suicune said:

I love every game Akira Toriyama has done art for...DQ, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, and I would of liked Dragon Ball Online...too bad thats gone.

River3636

River3636 said:

This is the title that I thought would be here already. This is my hands down favorite RPG series. I don't care if it is online now and if they charge us a fee. I want it. Dragon Quest 9 for the DS was so good. Dragon Quest 8 PS2 was wow. All the remakes on the DS so good. This series got me to like playing RPGs. I remember the first one which was called Dragon warrior for the Nes. After that I was hooked. From Phantasy stars, to the Ultima series on the nes.wow I love Exodus and quest of the avatar. ( unrelated)This is series got me into this Genre. Give it to us Square-Enix. Don't sell out please.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

It's a shame I never really got into the Dragon Quest series. I remember when I went to a game shop, and I had to choose between which game I wanted for PS2. My two choices were between DQ8 and FFX, and at that time, I didn't know anything about DQ. I originally picked up DQ8 first because I loved the art style, but chose FFX because I was more familiar with the FF series and I knew I would like that game as opposed to taking a risk with DQ. Didn't regret my choice at all, but still would have been nice to get into this franchise as well.

Action51

Action51 said:

My god, when will these Japanese publishers learn?

It's like in the early 2000s JRPG sales faltered a little in the west, and they've been absurdly timid and fearful of releasing them ever since.

In reality, it was never the case, and no matter how many Poke'mon and Final Fantasy series get released, JRPGs always had their fans over here. I guess the success of Etrian Odyssey, Personna, Shin Megami Tensei, Tales, Xenoblade, and Fire Emblem has finally convinced them that maybe this will work?

If not that, maybe the success of World of Warcraft and Monster Hunter?

I don't get the thinking, why would this game NOT be successful in America?

arkady77

arkady77 said:

i really dont like final fantasy (excepting tactics) the crystal chronicles even less so, i wont buy any more of that stuff. DQ on wiiu i'll buy or subscribe, i prefer it even to dragon age.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

So basically "Square Enix will see if Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe will cover the cost of the game".

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

This will save Wii U in the U.K.....lol I kid

(not a troll by the way love my wii u more than most, but I can still laugh at it)

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Action51
Thats whats baffling about all these long lived companies, Square-Enix, Capcom, and so on that all but dropped the very games that their reputations were built on in the first place.

Its like the story of Henny Penny, except even the acorn is imaginary.

Octane

Octane said:

It's interesting to see the software sales in Europe are on par with those in NA, something you don't hear every day. I'd buy the game if it comes to Europe.

The list of ''upcoming Wii U games'' already had this game set for a 2014 release in Europe, was this already confirmed before?

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

The Last Story reached Europe before the US, but if things go as planned history may yet repeat itself. Make this happen, SE.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

According to wikipedia, they've been wanting it to be released worldwide since they announced it in 2008(Nintendo Power). IIRC, I read it myself, but that was quite a bit ago... Anyway, I would probably be interested. Paying for online would probably turn alot of people off, unless it's like $5 a year, max and maybe give out DLC to keep subscribers playing. IDK.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@Excep7ional : You missed out dude! It's a game with spectacular visuals and music, as well as phenominal British acting and over the top humor.

On topic: Please bring this over Square-Enix! <3

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Maybe they're waiting to see how Mario Kart 8 influences the Wii U numbers. I have no idea how the whole business stuff works, but I guess that's what I'd do at least shrug

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

Dragon Quest VII 3D is marketable, has an great install base, and has sufficient demand. It has been "under consideration" for a Western release for over a year. Dragon Quest X, being a subscription-based MMO on the Wii U, has none of those things.

I just don't understand SE's treatment of this series though. DQ8 TRIPLED its sales from DQ7 in America, those strong sales were retained for DQ9, and then SE suddenly decided that they weren't going to bother anymore. Even the DS remakes sold fairly well as far as remakes of JRPGs go. They outsold their originals, meaning that not only was the fan base retained, but it expanded and reached new fans.

I think what SE should consider is that both DQ8 and DQ9 outsold Lightning Returns in America twice over. Consumers speak with their wallets, and their wallets say that there are twice as many people in America that want DQ7 3D as there were who wanted another Lightning game.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

I want DQVII never mind the mmorpg :/ I quit those, 5years EQ, 5years WoW, kinda put a toll on ya lol

Chi

Chi said:

You can only tease us for so long before frustration sets in. I am sick of begging for this title- look, WiiU needs this very badly - Look at those awful shovel ware games being released- flush those right down the toilet- they don't sell- no one is interested in them-they are seriously damaging your reputation- and listen to us fans when we tell you what we want- DQX!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

It's good news for sure, but I'm not paying a monthly fee for this. I'd much rather they develop Dragon Quest XI already as an offline game and release it worldwide for Wii U.

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

Wii U version in Europe and US, without subscription fee. Now that would be something. I'm gonna go ahead and guess no.

GrimSh

GrimSh said:

It's about time! I don't understand why this has been an exclusively Japan title. Bring it over to NA!!!

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

If it came to America, I would definitely buy it! I am a huge Dragon Quest fan and I've been following this title for quite some time. I was really at the point of thinking we'd never get it though.

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

@CaviarMeths

I agree 100%.
I'm not sure how well DQX would do in the West but I have no doubts that DQVII could match, or even exceed Bravely Default's 200,000+ North American sales.

I really don't understand why Square Enix is so hesitant about releasing Dragon Quest games in the West. The series has a sizeable and loyal fanbase here yet they keep bringing FFXIII sequels that no one asked for instead (and end up selling poorly).

Windy

Windy said:

Get this released and I can't get to a store fast enough to buy me a Wii-U. I will sell all my little trinkets to make sure that happens. CAN YOU SAY SYSTEM SELLER! this would be an awesome shot in the arm for Wii-U.

Windy

Windy said:

@BinaryFragger if the timing had been right DQVII could have outsold Bravely Default but I do believe that ship has sailed. There are just to many choices in RPG's to play now one takes away from the other. Its awesome for us for sure we have a great amount of content to play.

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

@Windy

I disagree that the ship has sailed. DQIX was the top-selling DS game in the USA and the UK when it was released, and this was in late in the system's life when it was overwhelmed with JRPGs.
The DS had significantly more RPGs than the 3DS does at this point.

Windy

Windy said:

@BinaryFragger Oh I know. I think they would do very well releasing DXVII. Just not as good had they already released it already. I think they should have released it before Bravely Default and lead into Bravely Default. They would do very well with DQX. Who knows it would probably make no difference at all. BTW thanks for reminding me I have DQIX and need to play it. :)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland
Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key
Dragon Quest VII 3DS
Rocket Slime 3D

Yet the one they're thinking about bringing over is the MMO on a less than successful console. FML...

Thaswizz

Thaswizz said:

Id buy it day one with or without the subscription fees, as tha game looks amazing, DQX and ESO will ruin me ahhhhhhhhhh