Pokémon Art Academy Confirmed for European Release on 4th July

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Will draw you in

Update:

Nintendo of America has now issued its own press release confirming this title for the region, but has only provided a release window of "this fall".

Original article:

Not long ago it was confirmed that Pokémon Art Academy is arriving in Japan on 19th June as a retail title on 3DS. We speculated that a release in the West would be inevitable and, sure enough, Nintendo of Europe has now confirmed that this one will hit stores and the eShop in the region on 4th July.

This continues the popular Art Academy brand, of course, this time including a number of tools, 40 lessons and plenty of Pokémon references and features to shake up the experience. The following is a description from Nintendo's press release.

Every artist needs tools, and the Touch Screen toolbox once again houses a bright range of pencils, pastels and paint. There are also art materials brand new to the series, such as Markers that make block colours with clean sharp edges, and Airbrushes that allow for a fine graduation of colour. In addition, the new Outline Pen leaves a smooth line that cannot be coloured over – perfect for cartoon drawings with slick borders. Finally, players need not worry about making mistakes when experimenting, as the new Undo feature allows the removal of several previously made steps from a masterpiece-in-progress.

Pokémon Art Academy boasts 40 lessons in which players can encounter favourite Pokémon from throughout the series – even including those from the recent Pokémon X and Pokémon Y games – such as Pikachu, Oshawott, Charizard, Torchic, Fletchling, Fennekin and many more! Students can progress through four different levels of lesson, beginning with first drawings in Starter, discovering new skills during Novice and Apprentice, and culminating with mastering a new talent in Graduate courses. They will first learn how to draw colourful Pokémon profiles, then build up Pokémon out of simple shapes like a cartoonist. Later lessons introduce colouring techniques such shading, shadow and depth that bring drawings to life. For the first time in the Art Academy series, it’s even possible to add a finishing touch by placing completed artwork against a selection of backgrounds for dramatic effect.

As players hone their skills, they can try out Free Paint mode, where Pokémon can be created in any style using the full range of tools. Over 100 reference pictures of Pokémon are included for inspiration, while images taken with Nintendo 3DS Camera can also be imported into the game. For those who want to keep their artistic juices flowing, there’s the new Quick Sketch mode where players can jump into short, simple drawings and practice producing Pokémon sketches quickly – perfect when out and about, or as daily practice.

All accomplishments can be saved into an album, as a truly personal collection of character cards featuring your artwork as the illustration, together with your signature. Share masterpieces locally with other Pokémon Art Academy players, or post them to Miiverse to show the world your greatest artistic triumphs. And while you’re there, you can always ask for help with techniques from the friendly Miiverse community of art and Pokémon fans.

There seems to be a decent amount of content to satisfy 'mon and Art Academy fans, while Miiverse sharing is likely to be far more convenient than the local-only or SD card export options in past portable efforts.

You can check out the Japanese trailer below — let us know whether you're interested in picking this up. We expect a North American release to be confirmed in the near future, but we'll keep you posted.

Pinemeowth

Pinemeowth said:

If it's coming to Europe it will come to NA. It will be more popular there I would think.

Kiz3000

Kiz3000 said:

My GF is very arty and wanted this as soon as I showed her the Japanese trailer. Good job it’s coming otherwise I might’ve been in a bit of trouble. Any indication of price?

Kosmo

Kosmo said:

And how about they complete the actual Art Academy? Some features have been "coming soon" since release...

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Praying/hoping this comes to North America as well to the 3ds. I still like drawing. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

@Kosmo
Agreed, I would really like the lesson features to be added, I want to improve my drawing skill

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

Wouldn't it be nice if they did a Super Smash Bros./Nintendo Characters Art Academy?

dsparil

dsparil said:

This really needs to come to the Wii U. Pokemon is the single most popular subject on Art Academy Studio’s Miiverse page.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I've become a fan of art academy since they offered it on club nintendo. I had absolutely no art skill at all, yet in just a few lessons they had me doing more and understanding more about art than anything our worthless education system(from elementary and middle school classes) managed to do. And the saddest part is the lessons are so simple they'd be perfect for children.

Kind of sad I have to wait till fall, hey nintendo americans have no trouble reading british english.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

I'll be all over this. Art Academy doesn't really interest me, but being able to draw Pokemon is a life skill much more valuable than most people realize.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

NoA needs to get their junk together and circle a day on the calendar. Why must they be so unreliable?

Ak_Dub

Ak_Dub said:

@Kosmo I was thinking the same thing. That's not to hate on Pokemon fans getting their own art academy, but the sketchpad app has been incomplete for quite a while now & it's one of my favorite things on my Wii U.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Ak_Dub I wish they'd just port it all to the wiiU, the only thing I don't like about art academy is the tiny screen(specially since i have an original 3ds not an xl).

Luneth

Luneth said:

40 lessons and 100 reference pictures?
There should be AT LEAST 719 reference pictures.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Luneth you can load images from your sd card so you can just download stuff from the internet. I agree though they should include an image for all pokemon.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Luneth actually it's very high. The lessons won't be teaching you how to draw every pokemon(obvious since there's only 40) they'll be teaching you concepts so you can draw your own. I got the dsi one since they were offering it up for club nintendo coins. It has 7 lessons and with just those you end up doing some pretty complicated drawings.

They'll be teaching you how to deconstruct images into shapes and build it, up in layers to a final image. They'll also go into techniques, shading, coloring, etc. It's extremely educational. You have to understand I've had no serious art instruction in my life, I'm a 30 year old computer programmer my degree is in an engineering field. The best thing I ever drew before those tiny few lessons were stick figures and those didn't even look right.

I'm certainly no artist at this point but in just a few hours with a few lessons it got me doing things beyond my wildest dreams. 40 lessons on pokemon and cartoon drawing will be amazing.

Hideto-GR

Hideto-GR said:

I also agree that these games/applications must become available on Wii U.
You got the TV screen (HD), the Gamepad with the Stylus.. it would be ideal.
An "export to PDF" feature wouldn't hurt either