Nintendo To Welcome 3000 Fans For Live Super Smash Bros. Invitational Event at E3

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

First come, first served

Nintendo is, once again, approaching the upcoming E3 extravaganza in its own way. It will be broadcasting a Nintendo Digital Event, live demo booths at Best Buy stores around the U.S. and streaming live demonstrations from the famous Treehouse team. Plenty to enjoy, then, but it'll also show off Super Smash Bros. on Wii U with a special Invitational event that'll be broadcast live, with 16 elite players putting it through its paces.

This is, of course, Nintendo's major live theatre event and a celebration of the fighting franchise, as opposed to the standard presentations of rivals. It'll take place in the NOKIA theatre, and Nintendo has now issued details for those that will be keen to attend — there'll be 3000 places up for grabs to the public, with dedicated fans to be those that get in. Details below, all times local to LA.

As a special treat for the biggest fans, attendees who dress up as their favorite Super Smash Bros. characters may be selected for priority seating right in front of the stage on which the tournament will occur. The event will be photographed and filmed, so the best costumes might appear on Twitch or Nintendo’s YouTube channel, where the event can also be viewed.

Here are the details for Tuesday, June 10:

9:30 a.m.: Wristband distribution begins at NOKIA Plaza at L.A. LIVE, 777 Chick Hearn Court in Los Angeles. A wristband is required for entry, and 3,000 wristbands are available to Nintendo fans on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last. Fans are requested to not line up prior to Tuesday morning. Once a wristband is obtained, fans can leave the plaza area and then return later that day, closer to the start of the event. The order that wristbands are obtained in the morning does not impact the order of entry into the venue in the afternoon.

2:30 p.m.: Doors open

4 p.m.: Super Smash Bros. Invitational begins

In great news for the publicity and potential viewer figures of the event, it'll be broadcast on the E3 Twitch Channel, Nintendo's Twitch channel and Nintendo's YouTube channel. We'll be giving it the full live streaming and live text coverage treatment here at Nintendo Life too, of course.

Are you excited about this event and planning to tune in? Better yet, are you planning to head to LA to attend? Let us know, and if you want a bit more insight into what this Invitational could mean for a potential future of more competitive Nintendo gaming events, check out our feature with Isaiah TriForce Johnson.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Awesome, shame I don't live in the US right now :( but a live 3000 audience will give a great feel to the live stream! With this, the 'Digital Event', the E3 live tour and 2 'developer discussion events', you're on the right track Nintendo, well done!

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

Well dang if I had money I'd go. But I rather play the demo with friends all day then watch players I don't even care for play the game. Hope other fans get to go though.

rjejr

rjejr said:

7PM on the East coast, good time for me to be watching live.

The Nintendo Youtube Channel will live stream on Wii U, correct?

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

@rjejr Correct, I've been able to stream live from YouTube on the Wii U browser before. Not sure about the YouTube app. With that said, reliability's another factor.

CharlieLoneWolf

CharlieLoneWolf said:

Nintendo will absolutely dominate E3 this year! I live an hour and a half from Los Angeles. Sadly, I have to work and I also don't have a working car at the moment. Agh! Still, I'm excited as hell for E3, especially for the Nintendo-related events and unveilings.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@outburst Lessee. Digital event starts 9 AM Pacific/Noon Eastern, so 7 PM for you :) (for reference, GMT +1 is 7 hours ahead of EDT/Eastern)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Sounds like fun! It should be interesting seeing the people's cosplays there from online.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Nintendo is actually doing this. Treating Super Smash Bros. like the flagship franchise it actually is. Somebody pinch me, please.

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

"Fans are requested to not line up prior to Tuesday morning." HAHA... good luck with that!

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

Good news but isn't e3 a trade event? Maybe they are doing public tickets this year. I should know these things since I am about 1 hour away (2 hour drive tho, it's LA!)

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

Oh, great. Because LA is 8 hours behind UK time, the Invitational will kick off at midnight over here! As much as I'd love to, I'm not gonna be physically able to stay up and watch that... A shame, really!

Ryno

Ryno said:

Not a big Smash fan but good to see Nintendo try something different with this event.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

This sounds excellent. Having the amped up crowd will be great, too, with everyone "ooh!"ing and "ahh!"ing. And in a situation that finally makes sense, instead of a bunch of press cheering for some franchise reveal. Hope this goes well.

(They should give out Wii U demo discs to everyone in attendance, too. That'd sell a few systems I bet...)

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Hm. Just a 32 hour drive without traffic. Maybe a pee stop or two. No biggie.
Actually I wish they would tell us what Best Buys are getting the demos. Last time WV and OH didn't get any.

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

Me and two of my friends have already got some camp gear. We're definitely going, LA is about 10 minutes away.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

These times are on PST time, so plan accordingly what time you will watch this in your respective time zones people! This will be very exciting!!! [Just need to figure out the best way to watch this....]

"I hope the 7 smash bros guys from that smash bros documentary will be in the tournament, but that's highly unlikely. Probably, two of the 7 will be in battling."

ShadowFox254

ShadowFox254 said:

Definitely going to try get there with me and my nephew and his friends. It's only a hour to get to downtown by bus from where I live.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ScorpionMG - Thanks. I'm not a Twitch user but I think this E3 Nintendo is going to have me trying out lots of different new things.

StaticWind

StaticWind said:

Nice! It's not ridiculously far from where I live, either! For once, I think it would be nice to go to an event like this, but something at the back of my head is telling me to watch it from the comfort of my home. :(

Kaoru_La_Kaoru

Kaoru_La_Kaoru said:

Ah darn. LA is a day's drive away, but I don't have gas or hotel money...
Guess I'll be hitting up Best Buy...