Masahiro Sakurai Shows Off Touch Screen Usage in Super Smash Bros. on 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Steady those expectations...

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is a game in a slightly odd position. It's due this 'Summer', yet is being consistently overshadowed by its Wii U brethren; the latter has its own E3 Invitational and is still getting a lot more coverage of Masahiro Sakurai's Super Smash Bros. Director's Room.

Fear not, 3DS fans, as Sakurai-san has revealed a bit of extra information on the portable version in today's Pic of the Day, finally showing us what the touch screen will do on the handheld during the battle. It's a practical if slightly uninspiring choice, and will be perfect for targeting particular foes in the heat of a brawl.

…You can highlight that fighter on your screen. This is useful when you want to get back at a particular opponent. You can also highlight yourself if you need to keep better track of where you are. This is a great benefit to having your own individual screen.

So there you have it. We're quietly hopeful that Final Smash moves or cinematic moments will dabble with utilising both screens, as an example, but this does seem like a sensible, intuitive use of the touch screen. Let us know what you think.

outburst

outburst said:

I'll eventually get the smash 3ds version. I'm just waiting for the 2d metroid and the 3ds xl metroid edition. :p

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Nice, I always liked seeing the damage output. Although this is bad for players with a lot of damage, it adds a good amount of strategy needed that it seemed like the 3DS version may have missed out on.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Nice, little extra. It's something to set the handheld Smash Bros. apart. This will be useful when picking out which of your opponents is the most damaged and then go after him or her for the easiest KO.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Might come in handy when coordinating in online MP ;) IF your teammate gets to see the signal that is. Other than that, i dont see the use of the targeting system, as the characters are wuite distinguishable from each other.
Keeping the HUD clean and putting the %counter on the bottom screen is a wise choice though. Its keeps the tiny screen from being cluttered and the numbers better readable.
A second screen not under or overused. Nice choice :)

Porky

Porky said:

Uninspiring choice? It's a fighting game, what do you expect there more to be? (Please don't say an icon to touch for it to perform a move command. .) People won't have time to fiddle with their stylus and touch screen during the fast-paced action if there were more to utilise on it. It's perfect to just glance at the bottom for a second then at the top.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

Did people expect much from the touch screen? Its a fighting game not the next WarioWare

Adam

Adam said:

Yea, this is more use than I expected out of it. It's good thinking. I don't know what else we could want from a touch screen in a fighting game, particularly one that doesn't use complex commands for special moves (SFIV had touch screen shortcuts).

Regarding singling someone out online, he is talking about something specific there. There arose a trend in online Brawl where three players would join a match together, then everyone just sits still while one of them attacks the random fourth guy, and swap out if you're doing well, so they all focus on the same target all match. Basically, they're complete jerks who don't like fun. I don't understand how this became popular. This new feature helps you identify someone you feel is a legitimate threat when things get chaotic.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@EarthboundBenjy i think he meant a group of people singling out one person, in Brawl's online matches a lot of players would team up to jump another player I think Sakurai was addressing that

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

I was thinking that it would be used for shortcuts like SFIV, but it would be unfair for the WiiU version. This way keeps the main screen uncluttered, which is great.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

The Smash HUDs have always been very clean and kept to the minimum, but I like this even more.

I wonder if other things like time left and remaining stocks will also be displayed in the lower screen.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

Seems like a wise move and a good design choice to combat potential readability issues on the smaller screens.looking forward to the 3ds version more than the wii u one personally, something about playing smash on handheld seems decidedly 'next generation' to me.just hope it's mid summer as opposed to right at the end like in august or something.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

@sinalefa From the large scale characters on the bottom screen, I think putting the time and stocks would make it cluttered unless it's made smaller or something.

Tops

Tops said:

I like it, seems logical and is much better than touchscreen controls

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

This at the same time fixes the problem of not being able to find yourself with invisibility but at the same time renders it near useless if your opponents can target you.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

This is a sweet addition, and more than I expected the touch screen to be used for. It's not uninspired in my opinion at all. Also I would hate having to switch to touch screen controls to perform a final smash.

Kirk

Kirk said:

That's cool.

Taking all that stuff off the main action screen is a good thing imo, presuming that's what they've done.

I hope they offer a similar option on Wii U.

OneBagTravel

OneBagTravel said:

I'm in the minority here but I never really dug the smash brother games prior to this. This however will be an instant buy. Looks like a blast on handheld.

endy_n_omni

endy_n_omni said:

I like it. It's simple and is something you can ignore if you need to, meaning you don't have to try and focus on the touch screen during play. In some larger levels it might be easier to find yourself (my wife hated New Pork City because she'd get lost when it zoomed out). I think this works well.

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

@OneBagTravel i dont see what reason do you have. weve only seen some screenshots and not much of a video footage. I wonder what difference there is that makes you like this and not other smash games.

OneBagTravel

OneBagTravel said:

@Justaguest The fact that it's on a portable. They're spending a great deal of time polishing the look. Even the screen shots show that they didn't just shrink down the game, they made the characters stand out for a smaller screen. Where once you could only play the game in front of a TV, now you'll be able to play it on the go. That's enough for me to get excited about, on top of the attention to detail and polish.

User1988

User1988 said:

Just went out and re-bought Brawl last night to overdrive my hype level for this! It looks better and better every time I see it.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

This sounds nice.

@SirQuincealot: There is a chance that under certain circumstances, like that, or perhaps just that alone, that the targeting will be made to not work temporarily on any certain character.

@Aceboss100: Hopefully the bottom/touch screen.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

The more I see the pics, the more I feel like I should skip the 3DS and just wait for the Wii U version.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

I feel bad for people who are only getting the 3DS version. They're going to miss out on the better version. :(

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@SockoMario:
I'm not in any hurry at all. I'll keep Brawl for my daily dose of home console smashing, until I can afford a WiiU that is.
I've been waiting for a portable SSB forever!

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

@SockoMario I don't know, a portable smash with (albeit very noticeably) worser graphics doesn't feel like an inferior version. Same characters... Same items... Specialized stages.... 3ds has more (announced) modes (smash run) and both have online. I'm looking forward to the 3ds version! And maybe the Wii u version, if I buy one.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

That's actually a very practical use.

It's always the simple, practical applications of dual screen gaming that are the best, imo.

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

@Hy8ogen I'm pretty sure it would look better on the 3DS than on a computer/phone. It's made specially for the 3DS screen, not a computer. :/

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@MusicLov3r Yeah 3DS screenshots always look horrible compared to what you see on the actual system. Kid Icarus Uprising is perhaps the best example of this.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@Xtremetdifan Sakurai said if an item is on the Wii U version, but can't be recreated on the 3DS version, it will be left out of that version. And I'm pretty sure the Wii U version will have stages and modes, considering the Wii U has more storage than a 3DS.

And no, the 3DS version ISN'T the inferior version JUST because of the graphics. There's more to it than just that. Smash was meant to be played with a controller on a TV. Not some small rectangle with very small buttons and extremely small screen. And because of that, the 3DS might have clunky controls. Also, who wants to play Smash Bros. on the smallest screen possible?

It might sound like I'm not looking forward to the 3DS version, which is not true. I'm looking forward to both version, and I'm planning on buying both versions as well.

ZephyrTortera

ZephyrTortera said:

Does anyone remember Spectrobes? I know it doesn't have to do with the article, but i'd love to see a new Spectrobe game for the 3DS and Wii U with 2 new main characters, or even being able to customize your 2 main characters.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

People have said all sorts of bad things about the graphics on Yoshi's New Island ever since it was announced, and yet somehow Smash Bros 3DS gets a free pass. Seriously, the visuals on this one look positively underwhelming, especially in comparison with the crispness of the Wii U version. Of course, the gameplay will almost definitely end up being awesome, but it's still curious for me.

I think the graphics on Yoshi's New Island, are quite alright, by the way. They feel exactly like a modern rehash of the original SNES graphics, which were awesome in the first place.