Mario Will Be Racing In Reality At This Weekend's History 300 At Charlotte Motor Speedway

Posted by Damien McFerran

Not upside down, sadly

Mario Kart 8 may not have much of a grounding in reality, but the game will be getting some welcome real-world exposure at this weekend's History 300 At Charlotte Motor Speedway event.

US retailer GameStop has taken over the livery of double Daytona 500 winner and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series racer Matt Kenseth's Toyota Camry in order to promote Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U racer, which means that plenty of eyeballs will be gazing at Mario in anti-gravity action. The Wii U logo also features very prominently on the back of the car, which should hopefully give Nintendo's system a big boost.

Will you be checking out the race, either at the event or live on television? Let us know by leaving a comment below.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip.

[via mattkenseth.com]

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Advertising done right :D
Let's hope this is any indication of what's yet to come in that regard. I mean...that's pretty unusual and a lot people will have to see this. Right...?

rjejr

rjejr said:

MK8 is nice, but I'm impressed it actually says Wii U on the back.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

I would love to add that car model to my JGR car model collection. Of course I will watch the race. Usually I DVR NASCAR. its easier to watch.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Well, I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility of upside down racing. Certainly makes it more interesting XD I'm glad to see Nintendo giving MK8 the promotion it deserves though.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

That is pretty awesome! I wouldn't mind being able to play as that car in MK8, although it would be pretty weird. That is cool - I may watch part of the race just to see that!

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

Nascar is pretty big in the states, especially the southern states. It seems gimmicky, but this is actually a pretty smart move.

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Anyone know when the Coca Cola 600 will start tonight?

EDIT: I'm in Huntersville, NC.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I never could get into nascar, I love indy car though, can't wait for the indy 500 this weekend. Nice to see them advertising, though shouldn't there be some commercials on tv?

Corleonis88

Corleonis88 said:

Not really into nascar, but it´s nice to see nintendo doing more publicity.
I haven´t seen a single spot on tv yet

Mega_Umbreon

Mega_Umbreon said:

I really love the fact that they're doing this, but I wish it would have been on Matt's Sprint Cup car instead. That naturally is where most of the viewers for NASCAR, including myself, watch since that's where the big guns like Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. race. But I'll have to check out the Nationwide race just to see this car in action.

River3636

River3636 said:

That is awesome good job. There was even a full spread in entertainment weekly about MK8. I honestly think that Mario kart 8 could be a game changer. It is a System Seller I know 2 of my friends are going to buy a Wii U when this comes out in a bundle. They already got their PS4s they were waiting for this game.

babyguess

babyguess said:

Stop the GameStop hate! Sponsorship between GameStop and Nintendo made this possible! We've been asking for more marketing and advertising efforts, now the Wii U and MK8 brand is out there for NASCAR fans to see. Here's hoping Matt Kenseth leads the most laps and goes on to win, so there's longer exposure.

Nintendo is going all in in their marketing efforts. I've seen multiple TV commercials on MK8. They are also showing commercials in select movie theaters (in Godzilla movie). That's on top of the publication prints on various magazines, posters, standees, at Target, BestBuy, GameStop and Walmart.

In the end, most of us wants the Wii U to succeed and hating on GameStop will not help that cause since they play a major role in the game industry.

PS4

PS4 said:

@babyguess Saw godzilla movie today, no MK8 ad here sorry.

BTW I almost never see PS4/Xboner ads, yet seen at least a few Wii U ones... lol gf?

babyguess

babyguess said:

@PS4 Posted from another site:
"Mario Kart 8 trailer airing before Godzilla
Looks like Nintendo is showcasing Mario Kart 8 prior to Godzilla in various movie theaters. If you happen to get to the theater early and catch the commercials prior to trailers, you might just see a Mario Kart 8 spot! Keep in mind, these spots may only be shown at certain theater chains."

Operative words, "select and certain theater chains".

"Can confirm it played before X-Men (an AMC Veterans). Amazing Spider Man 2 also (a cheaper local theater under the Touchstar cinemas branding). Looks wonderful in that big theater resolution. I was very happy to see actual ADVERTISING too."

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I was just watching the NasCar 600 Charlotte race, and #20 Matt Kenseth's car was NOT Mario Kart themed. What a let down... :'(