Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Thirty Six

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Midna! Super Leaf! Dillon! More stuff!

It's that time, despite this being a holiday Monday in some parts, for our usual summary of last week's Super Smash Bros. screens. The spotlight may have been stolen last week by an upcoming kart racer, in particular, but Masahiro Sakurai did keep up his usual rate of a pic a day.

As always the offerings on the Director's Room Miiverse community show a variety of aspects of the games, including moves, enemies, items and assist trophies. The final entry from last week not only revealed an assist trophy but also had an extra image — Sakurai-san spoils us.

You can see last week's Miiverse community screens below — two for 3DS and four for Wii U — and you can click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

28th April

29th April

30th April

1st May

2nd May

Pic of the day. This is his trophy. He may be an animal, and his buckles are definitely on the adorable side, but there's no denying he looks cool!! His Assist Trophy can even do things like a quick charge.

Some interesting images and snippets of info this week. Let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (367 votes)

Midna is looking rather pleased with herself

12%

Samus and Link cling on for their lives

19%

The Super Leaf transforms some familiar fighters

29%

Mario makes a run for it from Orne

Dillon rolls in as an assist trophy to startle Sonic

27%

Dillon strikes a pose in his trophy

Um, I can't decide

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

CaptOlimar30

CaptOlimar30 said:

I was so hoping Dillon would be playable but it's nice to see him as an assist trophy at least. Of all the official Nintendo e-shop heroes Dillon is the best fit for Smash Bros!

Takerkaneanite6

Takerkaneanite6 said:

I'd Like To Suggest A News Story...On Amazon UK Here:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-PC-Video-Games/zgbs/videogames, Mario Kart 8 Is Ranked 2nd, Only Behind Watchdogs For The PS4...:D

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Takerkaneanite6 And it is quite a bit more expensive than most other places.

There again I have paid for the Mario Kart bundle already even though not because I want the game at all but because I think the free game (I want all digital) will offset any potential price decrease in the remotely near future.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Definitely the Super Leaf item is what I voted for; it should be fun seeing all the different fighters with ears and a tail. I hope Sakurai's team manages to integrate the tail attack, as it would feel odd to not have it.

Second place is the Orne from Kid Icarus Uprising. While Sakurai might not have wrote that it KOs you instantly with one hit, if it's stronger than the Ultimate Chimera from Brawl, which can KO you with one bite, that still sounds like an instant KO to me. At first I thought it was a Smash Run enemy, but the pink in the lower left corner of the pic reminds me of the Reset Bomb Forest, so maybe it's a stage hazard in the Reset Bomb Forest?

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

I actually really liked the Orne picture! ...maybe it's because I'm overly obsessed with Kid Icarus Uprising!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Darn...I'd hoped Dillon would be a character...

Well, at least he's getting some recognition. Here's hoping he makes it to full character status next time around. I never even thought he'd make an appearance so I'm glad he at least made assist trophy.

Hey, here's an idea...just replace Sonic with Dillon. Afterall, he's more of a Nintendo character than Sonic is! Still, you gotta love the way he has Sonic looking all shocked!

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I love the Dillon assist trophy! Really cool, and he definitely deserves some representation in this game.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Dillon deserved to be playable...
Still, I didn't even expect an assist trophy for him, so I'm thrilled nonetheless!

Yosher

Yosher said:

Dillon's Trophy, because his Assist Trophy one only means he's not playable and I blame Sonic for Dillon not being in. ( I know that's probably not true but oh well )

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I never expected Dillon or any eShop character to be playable. If the roster was absolutely massive, then he could have had a shot. The concept of assist trophies is that, with some exceptions, they are potential fighters who for whatever reason can't fully join the battle and will instead help the character who summons him or her to fight the others.

If there's more eShop character assist trophies, I hope for Tempo from Harmoknight.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Nice to see Dillon in there. I voted for his pic, but I also loved the Tanooki Trio.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Darn. I accidentally voted for Dillon's trophy instead of the pic with him and Sonic. That was pretty amusing. This is gonna be one rockin' game. :)

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

I was surprised when I saw Dillon as a trophy. Makes me wonder if they will put Sakurai (from Sakurai Samurai: Art of the Sword) in Smash.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Dillion's game is cool, but i don't know why anyone expected him to be playable. He's small potatoes compared to confirmed characters.

Anyway, I'm glad the tether abilities have a longer range. They never really felt very effective for me so I didn't use them.

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@Hy8ogen Ike hasn't been confirmed, right? Brawl had Ike and Marth, this one has Marth so far. I do think we'll get Chrom eventually, or Lucina (although Lucina is a Marth clone).

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Dillon is such a cool character. He should totally get his own HD retail game on Wii U. :)

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

I like the takooni leaf the best, although that Dillon trophy is cool but would much rather him playable even though I didn't expect it.

sasoriobi

sasoriobi said:

as a wii u owner myself, i wont even buy smash bros or mario kart 8. meh no need to pay $60 for a nintendo game while can wait for the games to be at 10 bucks.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Sonic knew Dillon would be a rival 2 him, since they both master the art of rolling, so Sonic wrote on Dillon's smash letter thing, and the rest is history.......Wrote assist trophy where it said to be a playable character.....ah forget it, he just shredded that thing up when it arrived in Dillon's mailbox.......AT SUPER SONIC SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!

@lara132231 Also, that website lead to a virus, my eyes melted and I broke my leg, plus many pictures of women flew across the screen, which my mother saw, so she grounded me, thanks alot you nincompoop bot. Also, tell your uncle Chase that they chased him outta that car, since it was stolen, and he knew it!!!!! >: P

Purple

Purple said:

I almost never click on these Smash Bros screen shots simply because i don't really want much of the look or characters featured to be spoiled for me. BUT
is it just me or are the 3 DS graphics starting to look really out dated?

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Definitely called Dillon as an assist trophy! (If his game(s) would have been a bigger hit, he could've had secured a fighter spot, just maybe). Now I really just hope Mallo makes it as an assist trophy too.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

@purple most 3DS games (aLBW for example) look a lot better on the system than on the internet pics, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Purple

Purple said:

ALBW does look beautiful! so does Luigi's Mansion and MarioKart 7 ...
I can't wait to play Mario Kart 8

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

I would have voted for Midna if it were her true form. How about it Nintendo: a Twilight version of Link, transported to an entirely new world. Like Koholint in Link's Awakening, but for consoles. I might be the only one, but I'd love more story with the Twili.

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

Voted for the Super Leaf power up. It's finally time to see how'll Zero Suit Samus look with it. ;)

OnionOverlord

OnionOverlord said:

I was surprised to see Dillon, so he got my vote as well. It was a tough call between Midna and the Super Leaf.

Seeing Dillon as an assist trophy is awesome and shows his game was at least popular enough to warrant an assist.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Although I would have LOVED to play as Dillon, I'm glad he at least made it in as an assist trophy. Maybe next game...

But wow! Dillon has such a cool design, and hi HD model looks fantastic! I hope that the developers for the other two Rolling Western games are making a new one for the Wii U eShop and making it even bigger and better! I wouldn't mind something a bit deeper than a tower defense/action game; perhaps something with exploration and RPG elements?

pr0t0man

pr0t0man said:

@sasoriobi you do know Nintendo games never really drop in price maybe by $5 or $10 at most unless its part of a promo or something

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@noctowl I don't think anyone expected Dillon to be playable. We just wished it would happen. :( Also, he'd make a good fighter representative for some of the smaller games on the eshop.

If it were my choice, Sonic would be out the door and Dillon would be in his place.

@Gorlokk A Dillon RPG for Wii U that deals with the final FINAL battle against the Grocks would be great!

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

I figured that's how the super leaf would work!

As for attacks, They should allow strong attacks(Left/Right + A) be to swing the tail in a full spin

or just pressing A to do a weak tail whip. similar to the fan item. It'll be like all hand items, when you grab them, the A button becomes different attacks,
like the beam sword, you have a weak swing and a strong swing. in the Super leaf's case, you'll have a weak whip, and a strong full spin.

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

@sasoriobi 10 bucks? How long are you willing to wait? 10 years?

SSBB was released in 2006 and it's value is still at least $20 in official video game stores, pawn and thrift shops, and online. What's the point of having a WiiU if you're going to disregard 1st party games as if they're rip offs?