Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Thirty Eight

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Charizard! Little Mac! The Villager! More!

We may still be waiting on formal release dates — especially for the 3DS version — prior to E3, at least, but we can still keep our hype levels for Super Smash Bros. up by gawking at shiny new screenshots. In last week's efforts Masahiro Sakurai showed off character designs, revealed a Final Smash, trophy and assist trophy, along with customisation options for a new character. Plenty to intrigue dedicated fans, then.

As is becoming the norm the Director's Room Miiverse community also featured a little more detail than the standard single picture per day, though every screen is from the Wii U iteration this week; they may look flashier, yet that focus is slightly odd due to the 3DS entry coming first.

You can check out last week's Miiverse community screens below, and click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

12th May

13th May

And here's Mega Charizard X. This will appear as Charizard's Final Smash.

14th May

15th May

Normally, controllers for these types of games had knobs with variable resistors--these allowed the players to control in-game movement by how far they twisted the knobs. The TV-Game 15 used microswitches instead. We've worked a little too hard to reenact the behavior of the original, so the paddles always move in linear paths with the same, consistent speed. We pay attention to such peculiar details!

16th May

Some attractive screens for us to enjoy, then. Let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (315 votes)

Wire Frame Little Mac practices his jab on Link

13%

Diddy Kong can't handle Charizard's Flare Blitz attack

Mega Charizard X gets ready to do some damage

26%

Brittany does some gardening

The TV-Game 15 makes a surprise appearance

13%

The various Villager iterations strike a pose

33%

Um, I can't decide

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The new villagers with girls easily. Nice to see my sister's sparkly-eyed villager joining the battle. Might not be surprising after the Wii Fit Trainers, but still good news nonetheless. It increased hope in more character costumes and skins.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

It's gotta be Mega Charizard X! It looks SO cool in HD, although I can't wait to see it on the 3DS version! It is nice to see the new Villagers, though - the female version will be good for some people I know!

AVahne

AVahne said:

Mega Charizard X screenshot is the best one he's ever posted. Period.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Hopefully, the alt costumes for Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, and Villager means many other characters will get the same treatment. I would love to see Dr. Mario make a return, and if Ike does make it back in, maybe he can have both his PoR and RD looks in the game.

Wario should be getting back his alt costumes, so that means 4 characters will be have alt costumes in this game. That is awesome.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'd have voted for Charizard X, but it doesn't really show anything new. I usually vote for the one showing new stuff (provided I like the new stuff), so Villager costumes it is!

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

I like the TV-Game 15 in that will help remind/teach people that Nintendo's stake in the video game world dates back further than Donkey Kong or the Game & Watch.

@Caryslan I don't hold much hope that many character will get the alternate costume treatment, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing LttP Link or original design Peach. I wanted to see a female version of the Pokémon Trainer in Brawl, but now I'm concerned that the Pokémon Trainer might not return at all.

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Charizard X looks really detailess? I mean his wings just seem like eight blobs stacked together and the way light reflects on its body is oddly plastic-like.

My vote goes to TV-game 15.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Mega Charizard looks beautiful. I didn't even know there was such a thing! (Haven't kept up with Pokemon for years)

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I couldn't decide at first, but then I realized that the screenshot bask in the glow of the sheer hilarity that is the Color-TV one.

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

@FalconPunch are you kidding? Very interesting stuff when you think about it. The multiple villagers show that Nintendo could be using more varied costumes instead of solid color changes.

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

Sigh... I kind of wish we could get Charizard Y.

I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't get a nerd boner when something gets a black-redesign.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

I hope the rumor about Smash 3DS coming in September is false...because I need this game now.

But then again, it's f***ing Nintendo. Of course it will come out in September.

Just like how Mario Kart 8 came out at the very end of "Spring".

Dr_Corndog

Dr_Corndog said:

I've resigned myself to the idea that we won't get any more interesting Smash Bros. PotDs for a while now, because Sakurai's saving the good stuff for E3.

I'll edit that a little. Learning about a character's new special move is always at least a bit interesting.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Wait, Charizard rock smash is down + B now...? So no swapping Pokemon, which means... no more pokemon trainer?? ... And what of the fate of Squirtle and Ivysaur??? Too many questions!

coolaggro

coolaggro said:

It would be really cool if smash bros would import your villager data (or even the ID Card Photo) and you could use that to fight with

coolaggro

coolaggro said:

So is Black Shiny Charizard just another skin? Because as far as I know mega-evolution charizard keeps the same color as the original

That would be sweet

coolaggro

coolaggro said:

@Unca_Lz
Interesting, didn't know it changed colors when it mega evolved. Cool, but I still hope we get some shiny skins for Smash!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I don't play any Pokemon games, but...dat Mega Charizard X. He looks ferocious! Actually he looks kind of like a kaiju from Pacific Rim which I saw recently...what with the blue breath and all...

Gashole

Gashole said:

I really love the TV-Game 15 pic, which shows Nintendo's true origins, but the pic regarding playing as both a male and female villager, while not surprising, must be a BIG relief for many (including myself), with multiple outfit options!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I was really hoping that Brittany would be an alt skin for Olimar, oh well.
Lots of cool stuff, although I wasn't aware Nintendo had anything to do with Pong like people are saying...
Edit: Pong was Atari, which explains the naming.

TheWindWaker

TheWindWaker said:

@Caryslan Yeah! They could do so much with alt costumes if they only would! Like if Sonic had his new Sonic Boom design, or even a Tails skin. They have alot of room to really shake things up!

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Voting for Villagers because I'm hoping the implication will be Lucina as an alt costume for Marth!