Yoshi, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus Confirmed as Challengers in Super Smash Bros.

Posted by Jake Shapiro

Sheik and Zero Suit Samus now individual characters with full move sets!

Nearly lost in the shuffle of all of today's huge Super Smash Bros. announcements during the Nintendo Direct, three returning characters were announced: Yoshi, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus. Since characters don't change forms any more during battles, this means Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are now independent fighters with full move sets of their own, instead of just being part of Zelda and Regular Samus like they've been in past Smash Bros. games.

Yoshi and Sheik look largely unchanged in appearance from their incarnations in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, aside from some nice aesthetic HD updates. Zero Suit Samus, however, is arguably more sexualised — as per Metroid: Other M — than she was before, with a larger chest and what are presumably mythical Chozo stiletto heels that also serve as jet boots.

What do you think of the new returning characters? Which Smash Bros. veterans are you still waiting to see in the upcoming game(s)? How will Sheik and Zero Suit Samus flesh out their move sets to compensate for being entirely independent characters for the first time?

Related Games

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, Gannondorf, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch. Though I bet they're gonna be hidden.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Not surprised thaf Yoshi is back since he has been in all the games since the N64! The others looks cool though!

User1988

User1988 said:

Honestly, I feel like Samus' Zero Suit thing is absolutely ridiculous. But having Sheik as a separate player from Zelda is great! I've always thought it should be that way. I can't wait to try her out :)

Austroid

Austroid said:

Thank goodness Zero suit Samus won't be forced on you, as I'm much better with regular Samus.

Nintendo_Ninja

Nintendo_Ninja said:

I like that Shiek and Zero Suit Samus are their own characters. I knew they would announce Yoshi. They almost got me with no Zero suit samus.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'm actually happy that Zero Suit Samus is a standalone character. Now I don't have to get Samus' final smash to play as her for a little bit of time. Yoshi was expected to return, but I'm glad he has changes.

Thing is, though, I hope this doesn't take up too many slots in the roster, unless the roster will be absolutely massive.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

It's not a Smash game without "Falcon Punch", I hope Captain Falcon gets confirmed soon. And we need Ness too.

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

Im really happy that Yoshi stands upright now. He looks more up to date now :3 I also noticed Zero Suit Samus looks a bit more... Fan-servicey... Lol :p

Also, speaking of fan service, wheres my boy Chrom????? D: They confirmed Area Ferox, so Chrom must be confirmed at some point D':

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

@DestinyMan You can play as Zero Suit Samus in Brawl just by holding R when selecting Samus on the character select screen :3 It might be L and R, or something, I don't remember the exact buttons :3 but look it up :) there's a way to play as her at the begining :)

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

I'm glad. I know no one who uses 2 different skill sets per battle, so it gives them the added special + down move for Zelda/Sheik and more flexibility to Samus.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Sakurai also trolled us in one of those Trophy quizzes. Showing the back of Palutena like that and tricking us into thinking that she is just a trophy, only for it to actually be Pseudo-Palutena.. Can we say Palutena is basically confirmed now?

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I'm glad Zero Suit Samus and Sheik are separate character now, can't wait to see how they play by themselves.

Emaan

Emaan said:

"You might be wondering why we haven't shown Zero Suit Samus, well that's because she won't be joining us in the new Smash Bros."

Oh Sakurai how you troll us all :*

I was at first really intrigued by their decision to individualize Sheik and Zero Suit Samus from being a transformation but it makes sense. I can tell that Sakurai is making a lot of efforts to balance out the roster and all of the characters move sets for competitive play. I'm appreciating all the updated final smashes as well as a side note.

Speaking of Sakurai trolling, PLEASE just show me Ness and Captain Falcon already so I can rest easy :'(

Hopefully in the next couple months they confirm all of the returning veterans, and that includes Jigglypuff.
I hope there's still some newcomers left for them to show as well.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

In my opinion, Nintendo never de-sexualized Samus from the undergarments/underwear-thing. Zero Suit Samus is lets-go-this-way-while-still-that-way. Full body suit, but skin tight, & conveniently form fitting, for showing off form, though no skin. Fan-service indeed.

Sheik - If a family member of mine gets back into console gaming, even just for match-ups, she will now have another character to play as, but will now have to decide what she wants, graceful Zelda, or fast-paced Sheik. I hope the splitting of forms into separate characters, will still be handled with character balance in mind.

Yoshi - Never really liked playing as him too much, or really at all. I never liked how he handled, even back in SSB.

Hope it's all balanced.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I forgot about Zero Suit Samus and Shiek being optional in Brawl, but this is still an intriguing decision by Sakurai. The roster simply must be very big.

Leonn

Leonn said:

I wish they'd stop sexualizing everything, seriously, what happened to modesty?! At least she's completely covered. So many people say that people think too......inapproprietly about women, and this is true, however these same people usually support all this junk, they can't even see past their own noses. Rant over. I like greninja being put in the game!

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@DestinyMan you could hold L or R while selecting samus to start as zero suit, also, you can mash alternate up and down taunt while playing as samus to change to zero as well, you just can't put the suit back on like that.
I play as zero suit samus alone all the time, but it's nice that it wont be a hidden feature now

ACK

ACK said:

@rjejr Those are clearly Snake's kicking animations from Brawl. Clever recycling of (presumably) unused resources.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Complaining about zero suit Samus. I didn't know I was on kotaku or Jezebel.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

mmmmmmmm that zero suit Samus. Anyway hopefully Shadow ends up being an unlockable character he's just makes so much sense to be in Smash. Come on he has a bunch of chaos moves and can punch and kick, doesn't sound like a Sonic clone to me.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ACK - I was never a big fan of Snake in Brawl, though I am a big fan of his, but nobody in my house ever really played as him so I dont remember the kicks, just his RPG and cool Smash Ball attack. Oh and his ladder.

Since Wii U version isn't coming out for at least 8 months maybe theyll add in Bayonetta anyway. Game needs more characters in black to show off the colorful backgrounds.

CaptOlimar30

CaptOlimar30 said:

I'm actually more pumped for Sheik's announcement as a stand-alone player than Charizard's announcement as a standalone. Sheik's always been my main and the only thing hampering playing as her constantly is that I mistakenly press B-down sometimes and it doesn't do anything of use.

Now Sheik is going to be a fully balanced character on her own which is really just perfect! I can't wait to see how Sakurai comes to balance Sheik now!!

Melkac

Melkac said:

Ugh, gotta hate Samus' high heels. You forgot about the concept art where the artist outright says THE HEELS SHOULDN'T BE TOO HIGH?! Come on, Nintendo...
Other than that, best Zero Suit Samus by far.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Zero Suit Samus looks awesome.....except for the high heels. Looks hilariously stupid using high heels in battle as well as impracticable lol. Other than that I'm sure she'll be an awesome character that I will be getting good with just like in Brawl!

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

I think Sheik looks even more man-like than in the previous games. Even in OoT she looked more feminine to me...

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

"Zero Suit Samus, however, is arguably more sexualised than she was before" I cant believe this was actually possible... (coming from Nintendo, at least)

AlexOlney

AlexOlney said:

@Haxonberik I think it's the make up and the boots more than anything - the boots are such a stereotype for femininity that it's rubbing people the wrong way (even though I don't personally see a problem with them).

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

I think the most significant part of this is that characters no longer change forms. It means both Zelda and Shiek get an extra move and I can play Samus again without having to worry about Smash Balls making her rubbish.

Kifa

Kifa said:

My, Zero Suit Samus looks horrible... Why can't they model her in a more realistic fashion? :/ Really now, do we absolutely need her breasts to be so large? sigh I would never consider that a "fan service", because it seems that with each iteration her designs and character deviates more and more from what real fans love in her. I really hope that next Metroid game does away with that style...

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

I hope that there is still time to put Solid Snake in Smash Bros (Wii U version at least). I think Kojima said in Jan/Feb that it is still possible to add Snake to the roster, although it's not looking likely (could be DLC though). Nevertheless, the game looks fantastic at this point (Better than Brawl).

kingston589

kingston589 said:

Zero suit samus is looking goooood lol but seriously everyone calm down with her design, its a fictional character people

erv

erv said:

I love zero suit samus. And the no character shapeshifting means I can actually play with her, as I sucked with regular samus in most matches for reasons unknown.

And I like playing with sexually depicted characters, because fun.

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

@Funny_Moblin
From looking at some pictures in Smashbros.com it seems that this time she might have multiple modes for her emergency pistol. There is probably the electric mode (in pictures) plus the previous two modes (stun and whip)

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

@Samurai_Goroh
In the next Nintendo Direct:

"Hello everyone... This is Satoru Iwata from Nintendo, bring to you "Directly" the lastest information about Nintendo. In the next trailer we will show an upcoming Nintendo game, please take a look"

Then we see little Mac punching a huge sandbag and hitting it really hard but without moving it too much. Just as he is leaving the Gym.....

FALCOOON PAAAUUUNCH

The sandbag flies out the gym

Captain Falcon stand behind Little Mac and says "Show me your moves"

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

I'm OK with ZSS' new look. Sure,it's a bit pandering, but just look at it this way: Captain Falcon is the same. Suit so tight that you can see his six-pack through it. People sexualise things. It's not always about sexism. And really, let's just be thankful it's not to a Soul Calibur degree. Look at Ivy. Not THAT is ridiculous.

And I'm glad Sakurai dumped the transformation system. I hated to have to use Samus when I had to use ZSS' Final Smash. And like I said on other thread, I prefer having more complete. stand alone characters. As long if Sakurai isn't using this as a excuse to make less newcomers.

Captain-Falcon

Captain-Falcon said:

ZSS looks good, Im intrigued to see how ZSS and shiek handle, as i rarely played them in brawl.

but where is mr falcon?

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I love that ZS Samus and Sheikh are their own characters but I just hope they're not going to take up character slots that can go elsewhere. I'm sure they won't but still...
I was hoping for a surprise character announcement other than the pokemon but there we go...
And did anyone else feel that ZS Samus' boots were kind of similar to Bayonetta?

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

O yeah and I'm a bit disappointed with how Olimar's character has changed... It just feels like he's been weakened...

Sparx

Sparx said:

@Unca_Lz He did say that's the source of his new power....dumb Nintendo now trying to convince me to have proper posture!!!

On a serious note, I like having ZSS as a separate character as I actually like playing as her, also I didn't realize the breasts were bigger I was more focused on the strangely paler face and of course the fact that the jet boots look cool

Hamguar

Hamguar said:

If memory serves, this brings the roster to 29 meaning that there only 6 slots left since irc they were to have the same number of characters as they did in Brawl. I just hope that I get to play the Cap'n again.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Now I can't use Zero Suit Samus without feeling like a perv xD my friends will be a bit suspicious if I choose her as a standalone character, so she's probably going to be gathering dust in that corner of the character select screen :)

Ugslick

Ugslick said:

@Austroid Thank goodness I don't have to jump through loops to pick ZSS. Haha, much nicer this way. Don't really care much for Samus, but ZSS was awesome.

drewber2635

drewber2635 said:

I'm really liking what they did with Shiek. I never played her really much before mainly because she had one less skill than the others (down+B). But they fixed that so now I am happy! Zero Suit Samus...Don't really care for the high heels, but at the same time I don't really care. I think the reason they are "sexualizing" her more is because of this: In Japan, Metriod is not popular. At all. I even have a Japanese friend who asked "What's Metroid?" And he likes Nintendo just as much as I do! So really, I think they went with this design to appeal to more Japanese in an effort to get Metroid out there in the market.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

@TeeJay But see, Peach is cartoony and so she can get away with silly, because that's how cartoony works. As for Zelda she's a very powerful person that doesn't just use physical attacks so it doesn't really matter what she wears. Zero Suit Samus and Samus in general including the the entire metroid universe has always been based on a realistic art style.

Just saying the new high heels shown for her does not match the style of metroid at all. Not a big deal really, but just something that seems off visually. Personally, I really do hope they scrap the high heels with something else more believable for jet boots.