Yo-kai Watch 2 Coming to 3DS in Japan with Two Different Versions

Posted by Jake Shapiro

Hunting down demon spirits, now in two new flavours

Level-5 has announced this week it will be releasing Yo-kai Watch 2 on 10th July for the 3DS in Japan. A sequel to last year's popular monster-watching title Yo-kai Watch, Yo-kai Watch 2 will hit stores with two different versions — Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso (Founder), and Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke (Head). Each version will feature an exclusive rare medal in the game.

Yo-kai Watch 2's story will travel back in time explore the origins of the mysterious Yo-kai Watch organisation, with new events for players to participate in like flagpole climbing and bicycle riding. If players have save data for the original Yo-kai Watch on their 3DS, they can become friends with special yōkai in the sequel.

Will we see the popular series here in the West? Earlier this year, Level-5 filed a U.S. trademark for Yo-kai Watch and asked Facebook fans whether they'd like to see a localisation. Nothing has been announced yet, but it seems Level-5 is strongly considering a Western release. Let us know what you think in the comments below.

[via siliconera.com, animenewsnetwork.com]

xevious

xevious said:

Man...I don't know what this game is about, but I already love it. Here's hoping for a western release. DAY 1 BUY LEVEL-5!!!!!

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

@MrWalkieTalkie
It's not the first time Level-5 is doing this. All of the Inazuma Eleven franchise has two or more games per generation, except for the first one.

User1988

User1988 said:

I really hope the first one gets localized here in NA. I love the ghosty designs!

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

This looks to become a second Senran Kagura case, to an extend. Everyone wants the game, and when the sequel is announced, everybody wants that. Unless we get Youkai Watch very soon, it might become difficult to catch up with this soon-to-be series.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

So just short of a year between releases. I doubt they're like the big western titles that have 2 or 3 dev teams either. Bit of a shame they're milking it like that!! It's going to be a huge seller regardless.

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

@Peach64 Professor Layton and Inazuma eleven franchises also get a new game every year or so. So it is hardly the first time theyre doing this.

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

I remember the Digimon Story games for the DS did this too. They had Sunburst and Moonlight versions, though I think they where called something else in Western Releases. I had Sunburst, and remember it being really fun and playing it for hours on end... ( ̄▽ ̄) ahhh, memories...

But yeah, my point being there's a lot if monster franchises that do this in Japan, though I believe Pokemon started the trend. I do really want to play this though :3 I enjoyed the first one; it kinda reminded me of a really cutesy Persona 4 :3

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

I hope they releases the first one here. But I want Time travelers and Girls RPG more

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

i want this game so bad. the anime is so good i bet the game is awesome. i hope we get it soon.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@AkinaChan
Yep, Dawn and Dusk. They were pretty good too, even if the version differences weren't all that original.

I think it was Pokemon's success that caused it to become a trend. Except for maybe some obscure games we didn't really see any games do multiple versions of the same game until after R/G/B became popular.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Not that I need any other monster game besides pokemon but I would love to check it out. Have been following this game for a while now and it looks very interesting.

Playing X+Y and completing the national pokedex is like 6 3DS games in one.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Sigh We'll be lucky to even get the first game localized by the time the sequel comes out in Japan.