Weirdness: Meet The 'Super Nintendog'

Posted by Conor McMahon

Caught somewhere between impressive and horrifying

The noble pursuit of professional dog-grooming isn't just a 'thing', it's a major thing. People from all over the world attend conventions and competitions to celebrate and display a staggering amount of creativity, using their prized pooches as canvasses for some truly bizarre works of art.

The Intergroom convention was recently held in New Jersey, resulting in what is possibly the most impressive Nintendo-themed pet to date.

That fluffy blur of colour and shapes is the Super Nintendog — groomed, styled, coloured and trimmed to resemble a level from Super Mario World that's been tossed into a blender. What starts as Yoshi ends up as a piranha plant or Mario head, and it's all very memorable to say the least.

Not content to settle on a quiet night in with Nintendogs on 3DS, the owner has clearly put effort into this doggy diorama, entering the creative challenge competition alongside many other similarly zany efforts.

What's next? Pet turtles all punked-up as Bowser, or a chain chomp on four legs? Let us know whether you think it's fantastic or frightening — maybe even a little of both.

[via buzzfeed.com, gonintendo.com]

FourScore64

FourScore64 said:

I feel like those idiot groomers care more about what the other idiot groomers think of their pets' displays rather than focusing on giving love and care to the actual pets themselves.

That's some really despicable animal cruelty in my opinion.

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

Lol at first I though this was a robot thing or disturbing plush someone made. They should of just sticked to the Yoshi dog thing rather than add all the other... Details... Poor 犬ちゃん(; ̄O ̄)

10000mario

10000mario said:

why? why do something horrid like that to characters known and loved by many a children? :D

64supermario

64supermario said:

Well I guess if the dog is comfortable, I wouldn't know. I've only ever had cats and he hates getting dressed up. However, there does seem to be a fair amount of hard work put into it, kudos for that.

dereq

dereq said:

That doesn't even look like a real dog!! And to think I felt bad for putting a bandanna on my cat....

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

damn. that is one awesome looking dog. ive seen how they do this before and they use 100% safe food based coloring and the dogs usually love the attention. but, yes sometimes they dont like it, its true, so i'm not completely for or against it. but some dogs like baths and some dont. so as long as the dog is having fun, im cool with it.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

This is actually a spoiler for the new Pokemon XY 1.3 update which adds a new skin for Furfrou if you also have Super Mario Bros 2 'and' Super Mario 3D Land registered in your Activity Log.

64supermario

64supermario said:

@3dcaleb yeah I agree with that statement. I don't think they'd be the kind of people to torture their dog. Hopefully, he does love the attention.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

Damn hipsters with their strange dog grooming, they're too cool to make a Microsoft-dog... ;)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I... don't know what to make of it, except it's by far the weirdest thing I've seen in a while.

Senario

Senario said:

This is one of those screenshots that will later be captioned with 'kill me' because it is so bad.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I ended up watching a tv programme about this weird world. I'm not sure it's fair to call this animal cruelty. These people spend a ridiculous amount of time grooming their dogs, so it's not fair to call it neglect. Also dogs aren't self consious so it doesn't know it's a monstrosity. :P
There is no denying that this is insanely wierd though.

SMW

SMW said:

I like how the fireballs in the background are heading TOWARDS the piranha plant. Who shot those fireballs? :P

DdFixen

DdFixen said:

@SMW Yoshi of course, he must've swallowed a red shell. Either way, I don't like these grooming things. What's the purpose? If you're into painting, then buy a canvas like sane people.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Please don't let it be a real dog.
Please don't let it be a real dog.
Please don't let it be a real dog.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

That's... a costume, right? That's not the dog's actual fur, cut and coloured to look like that... right?

ogo79

ogo79 said:

this is where all my tax money is going, for science and infused animals!
i want my money back

Chouzetsu

Chouzetsu said:

It looks like there was an accident involving giant blenders and large amounts of superglue in the Mushroom Kingdom...

Henmii

Henmii said:

Is this a real dog?! If so I can't laugh about it. This is animal abuse!

Cinn

Cinn said:

Lol all of you people are complete idiots. These dogs are far from abused and neglected. They get better taken care of then most people's children. Not getting your dog's nails clipped is animal abuse, not dying their fur. ALL of the products used on these dogs are 100% animal safe. Learn the facts before you start accusing someone of abusing their dog. How would you like it if someone accused you of child abuse because you let your kid dye their hair? Not cool... Don't be so close minded.