Video: Silicon Studios Shows Off Tech Demo of Yebis 2 Advanced Optical Effects Middleware

Posted by Samantha Sofka

Will eventually support Wii U

Silicon Studios, developer of the popular 3DS title Bravely Default, has revealed a beautiful tech demo preview of Yebis 2 — via its YouTube channel — which is a visual effects engine.

According to the studio, Yebis 2 is a "nexus of real-time processing effects" with physically based optics simulation. The demo showcases the middleware's high-quality lens effects such as Glare, Depth of Field, Motion Blur, Lens Distortion, Film/Photo galvanic Effect, Color Correction, Anti-Aliasing and more.

Back in February, the studio announced that the new engine currently supports PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Windows DirectX, and cited future support for the Wii U and mobile devices; an Android tool-set has since been demonstrated in March. This is great news to hear, especially as the Wii U has on occasion been left out by graphical technology engines and tool-sets.

In a previous interview with Siliconera, meanwhile, Silicon Studio President Takehiko Terada stated:

Wii U has very specific characteristics. Some game designers will like it. Some others will have a hard time to port their game. There are pros and cons. We are very close to Nintendo, so we were working on Wii U for a long time. We almost got the maximum performance with the hardware. Since we are working closely with the Nintendo support team they gave us a lot of useful information.

The studio's relationship with Nintendo is definitely indicative that it will support the company's consoles in the immediate future. Check out the demo below and leave your thoughts in the comments section.

[via polygon.com, siliconstudio.co.jp]

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

Interestingly since they said they're looking to support mobile devices that means it's probably not horrifically taxing on the system. That's an important point because these kinds of effects have mostly been possible for a while but the processing requirements were too prohibitive in a real time environment when other calculations had to be made on top of it.

These appear to be some very good shader programs. At this point the advances in graphics are going to come more from better shader programs than brute force polygons like before. There have been some good alogrithmic break throughs in the last few years.

AVahne

AVahne said:

YEBIS 2....oh my god I'm stupid. The same Silicon Studios that made Bravely Default also made the Mobile GPUMark benchmark for mobile a while back. Can't believe I didn't make the connection =_=
Speaking of the GPUMark benchmark, I'm still waiting for them to add more demos...
Mobile GPUMark runs on YEBIS 2, hopefully more demos will be coming out now that they've ported it to various other devices.
EDIT: For anyone interested in testing their device, Silicon Studios recently released a new YEBIS 2 demo app that tests your device's OpenGL ES 3.0 performance (if your device supports it that is).

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I'm interested to see what artists and designers could do with this on the Wii U. Hopefully it will help them deal with the need to write more for the GPU versus the CPU. The system has the power under the hood. Now it looks like it will finally be getting the tools it needs.

Leu10antFalcon

Leu10antFalcon said:

The Yebis 2 engine... Imagine if they port Bravely Default on to the Wii U and use the Yebis 2 engine. drool

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@WhiteTrashGuy the complaint from devs about having to use the gpu to render games(imagine that) is actually one designed to fool people who don't understand how computer hardware works. When you hear devs complaining about it they're implying the wiiU is some sort of oddity in regards to needing to put more on the gpu. In fact it's just the opposite, the idea of brute forcing things through the cpu is the oddity and not the way graphics pipelines work. The wiiU is the norm in this regard.

That's just always annoyed me because it's such a clear example of a bias against nintendo. Games don't sell, fine say so, but don't whine about having to implement a proper graphical pipeline as though that's some sort of horribly new strange concept.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

@Yorumi I remember reading an interview with someone from Vigil Games who said he was happy that he wasn't part of the team working on the Wii U version of Darksiders. Obvious bias, but not my ultimate point. I played the original on PS3. It was completely unimpressive visually (and had a horrible art style). It couldn't have been done on PS2, but it could have been done on Wii with some work. I can only conclude that Vigil wanted as much power as possible not so they could do a lot, but so they didn't have to work. I guarantee that most of what we're seeing on the 4Bone could be done on Wii U--with work and skill. But AAA devs don't want to work on Wii U, and apparently they're not actually working on the 4Bone either.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Kroisos One of the main downsides to the wii was that is still had a fixed function pipeline whereas the 360/ps3 has programmable shaders. The hardware probably could have handled it with some work but at least in that instance there was a pretty serious barrier.

That said the wiiU has the same shader pipeline as the ps4. It has all the shaders including compute and tessellation. So all the graphics processing and massive parallel processes should be done in the gpu which is true of the wiiU and the ps4.

It's kind of funny though cause the bone is running a version of directX, but the ps4 and wiiU are running a version of openGL. Given that it's actually probably harder to port between the bone and ps4 than between the ps4 and wiiU.

More power does let people be lazy, cause optimization takes effort. It pains me every time I'm looking up implementations of algorithms to decide which is faster and I see "this is easier to write so just use this optimization doesn't matter." It just annoys me so much when I see people taking advantage of someone's ignorance of a particular topic(everyone can't be an expert in everything).

element187

element187 said:

@Yorumi Its a money issue... If the extra work you put into a port to optimize it and it only sells a few thousand copies, that is a failed business venture.

Using the power of the Wii U or the Gamepad as a scapegoat to not work on it is complete BS. They need to just be honest "Sorry we cannot port our game to Wii U because we feel it won't make enough money to make the effort worth it" ... Thats all they need to say.

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

This engine looks fantastic. Honestly, I'm shocked that the company that made Bravely Default and 3d Dot Heroes is making this. Normally open engines like this come from big name western publishers.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@kdognumba1 it's actually not a full blown engine. It's essentially a set of shaders designed to to plugged into an engine. In modern 3d programing shaders are everything. They're little mini programs that run on the gpu, they take an objects vertex data as inputs and then execute their program on each vertex, pixel, or primitive shape, depending on what shader stage it's at.

@element187 I agree it's often about money, and I'm sure it's always at least some consideration. And like you say they should just come out and say it. Where I see a kind of bias, and maybe I'm just not plugged into ps4 news as nintendo news, is that I failed to notice a bunch of devs whining about having to program for the gpu on the ps4.

There was a ton of whining about the wiiU's cpu, and how they actually had to program properly for the gpu as though that was some kind of horrible abnormality. Then the ps4 comes along which they have to do exactly the same thing and I didn't see a bunch of them complaining about that. It's worse when you consider the ps3 and the cell processor. These devs had no problem figuring out the horribly complicated cell processor but couldn't use a standard gpu pipeline? I just feel there are factors other than money involved in that.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

wAAAaAAll.E

But yes it would be good if nintendo made this kind of engine exclusive. But as this company are further ahead it's sony I don't think it'll happen

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

@Yorumi I was not saying anything negative. I have followed Nintendo's chip sets since the SNES. What I meant was that the Wii U has gotten a bad rep because all of these designers had problems porting titles from the 360 because those games are CPU heavy. Sadly the Wii U needed/needs those ports to drive hardware. But now so many Devs are jumping on that thinking. Even Nintendo has admitted that they were not prepared for the jump to HD. If more game engines become available that are scalable and Wii U friendly then maybe more designers will give the WiiU a go.

goonow

goonow said:

That demo was made with NO hardware limitations, though. Still like to see what they could do on wii u.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@WhiteTrashGuy oh I know you wern't, I was saying I was annoyed at all the lazy devs whining about having to use a standard pipeline. They're using people's ignorance of computer hardware to try to pretend like something that's the norm(the wiiU) is actually some abnormality. And as I said it's even worse cause these same clowns can somehow figure out the nightmarish cell processor of the ps3 but a standard gpu pipeline is too much for them.