Video: Here's a Child Of Light Hands On And Interview With The Creative Director

Posted by Alex Perepechko

There's a light and it never goes out

Child of Light is Ubisoft's attractive upcoming turn-based RPG that tells the coming of age story of a young girl, Aurora. Our colleague and Nintendo Life contributor, Andy Robertson of FamilyGamerTV, has provided a video in which he details his four favourite things from his hands-on experience with the game. Not surprisingly, the art direction is highlighted as being one of Child of Light's stand-out qualities, with the game's painterly quality and feel being highly lauded. The coming of age story and characterization of Aurora is also underscored, as well as the way in which the story is told and presented.

FamilyGamerTV also conducted a phone interview with Child of Light's creative director, Patrick Plourde. A variety of topics were brought up in the interview, including discussion regarding the family-friendly nature of the multiplayer, and why the game's rating has been changed from PEGI 12 to PEGI 7. Mr. Plourde provides some insightful and interesting details regarding the creative direction of the game, and the interview helps in providing a better understanding of the creative direction taken for Child of Light.

Check out both the hands-on impressions and the interview below.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I've played several Ubisoft games over the years. Lots of them were VERY good (including Rayman Legends and Assassin's Creed IV on the Wii U), but none quite enraptured me the way my favorite games of all time do. I keep getting a feeling this might finally happen with this game.

Action51

Action51 said:

Yeah, I even had really high hopes for Zombi U, assuming the lower quality models and smaller environments using an older Unreal engine would translate into a really smooth experience...and it's good at first, but soon the clunky mechanics and sloppy, glitchy scripting kicks in and I remember I'm not playing a Nintendo, Intelligent Systems, Platinum, or Retro title.

I'm definitely waiting and keeping an eye on this. Seems like the team working on this is really dedicated and the focus is on pushing art rather then polygons or pushing out an annual franchise installment like Assassin's creed.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

I'm really excited about this game. A little worried it'll be TOO serious and won't live up to story expectations but I'm really looking forward to it.

And it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

High hopes for this one, too bad it is hard to hear the developer in the video.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Between this and trails Ubisoft has my money this month. Good thing there's nothing major launching this month.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

Oh Damo and your wonderfully witty band based references.
This game looks like a cross between War of the Lions, Knytt Underground and, why not, Rayman Origins (could have said Legends, but really, why pick the expansion pack when the original is just as good?).
Between this, Teslagrad, Pier Solar HD, Shovel Knight, Tengami and Scram Kitty, the next 2 months will see indies rise to prominence.
Before Mario Kart 8 defies my expectations, actually selling systems and getting high scores and game of the month honors.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

As a rather sad aside, my wife and son were slated to return this weekend, allowing me the chance to play some Superstar Saga with him. As their flight has been delayed (remote location, chartered aircraft) I won't get the chance to do so until next weekend. Considering I just found out last night, it's put a damper on my weekend. Luckily, Metroid Fusion is here. It's one of my favorite games. Curse you Serris!!

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Yea this is a day one purchase for me. It sounds and looks better every time Ubi updates us on the project.