Video: Behold The Difference Between Skylanders Trap Team On Wii And Wii U

Posted by Andy Robertson

Compare and contrast

With Skylanders Trap Team being developed by lead developer Toys for Bob on the Wii and Beenox on the Wii U, choosing the best platform to play it on just got a little harder.

Stepping into the breach with more Skylanders Trap Team videos are Family Gamer TV. Here, they compare the visual fidelity of different generations of Skylander Trap Team screen shots.

Perhaps the most interesting thing here is whether the Wii U should be grouped with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 visuals — as the screenshots suggest — or whether it should be grouped with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One editions, as it shares the same developer. It's highly likely that the Nintendo version will lie somewhere between the current and next-gen versions shown here.

You have until 5th October to decide which version is right for you and whether this is the game that will get you to upgrade to a Wii U. In the meantime, here’s a look at the Skylanders Trap Team Start Pack — again courtesy of Family Gamer TV — to whet your appetite.

Related Games

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Daz-brum I think we can safely say that the Wii U version will be similar to the Xbox/360 editions.

MAB

MAB said:

Not that I would ever buy Skylanders anyway but the jump from PS360 to PSBOX41 isn't worth letting go of $600 for ;)

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

Wii U will probably be equal or slightly better than 360/PS3.

I haven't seen Swap Force's Wii port until it released. I am actually surprised the Wii version even exists!

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

They really shouldn't have had a Wii version. Imagine the Wii U sales if they didn't.

andyrob_24_7

andyrob_24_7 said:

@ScorpionMG that's the question I think. Should we group the Wii U with the 360/PS3 or with Xbox One/PS4. Particularly as the same developer is looking after Xbox One/PS4/Wii U. That's why I held off labeling on Wii U in the video.

rjejr

rjejr said:

The Wii U is going to look like the PS3/360/4/1 version b/c really all 5 are going to be indistinguishable to 90% of people - ie kids or kids at heart - who want to play this game.

The Wii version shouldn't be compared to anything, and nobody who has any other console should buy this on the Wii. Only people who own a Wii Mini should buy that version.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

… it's out in October? Then why are there already ads for it on YouTube? That seems an obsessively long hype period. I mean, I'd understand releasing teaser trailers on their own channel, but this was a ad that came up before a Game Grumps video. A really long one at that, that seemed aimed at kids to make them turn to their parents and demand the toy now… But they'll all have forgotten this ad by October…?

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

I'm as uninterested in this game as I am in going to work. Just by typing this message, I make myself late. And to be honest, it doesn't make me care any more about leaving. Quite the opposite, actually. It's snowing and raining and absolutely miserable. I work outside. On days like this, I work indoors, in a poorly ventilated cave of a room. Moisture, stagnant at that, perforates this less than desirable work space. The machinery I operate isn't functioning properly and my assistant and I are on a time sensitive schedule. As neither of us is trained properly to maintain said machinery, we currently rely on a maintenance man's input, a maintenance man who the company just released. So no, I don't care about Skylanders or their garbage. I've got real world issues to deal with.

Pod

Pod said:

I can appreciate how vivid the colors become and how sharp the pictures get in the HD versions. But the Wii version is a LOT tighter in regards to full screen color coordination, and the characters aren't subjected to those dreadful normal maps.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ChessboardMan - "Then why are there already ads for it on YouTube?"

B/c thats the way every company not named Nintendo advertises their games. Or have you not noticed all the "Nintendo needs to advertise more" comments on this website every day? Pokemon X+Y started advertising in Jan for an Oct release, I'll give Nintendo credit for that, Pokemon alone among all of Nitnedo's videogame properties follows the hype rules.

And also, in Skylanders case, there are currently aisles and aisles of Skylanders toys lining the shelves of every store. And kids who have already finished the first 3 games may feel they no longer need to keep buying more toys, but by advertising the next game the kids can tell their parents it's ok to keep buying the toys b/c they can use them in the next game.

Also, this game comes out Oct 5, which is 3 months before Christmas, so they want kids to bother their parents now otherwise if they only started advertising this in Sept parents would just tell their kids to wait until Christmas, which isn't for another 3 months after that. So they have to make people want this now so they get it at release and don't wait until Christmas to buy it. A lot of parents will wait until Christmas anyway, but by advertising it earlier more will get it in Oct.

Wait, was that a rhetorical question?

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

Sorry, but this title is misleading, as it doesn't show the Wii U version of the game.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Funny thing is the Wii version may end up being the best-selling version, if Just Dance 2014 is any indicator. The Wii version of Just Dance 2014 obliterated the sales of all other versions. In fact, I think it sold more than all other versions combined (5 systems!)

bmprsvz777

bmprsvz777 said:

Wii has 100 million install base, it would be crazy to ignore this number, gaming business is as any other business, it's goal is to make money, so why not make Wii version too. My children still like old Wii more than Wii U, they really don't count pixels. Wii has some 1300 games, Wii U has 80 so far.

edcomics

edcomics said:

That second video is interesting. At first I wasn't paying close attention and thought the figure was actually on his desk, though I did notice the laptop screen had an artificial image. Once Food Fight appeared on the desk, it was clear that we had a paste-up job going on. Clever, though.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@Damo I agree, like Swap Force I don't see Activision putting forward any type of significant effort to create the Wii U version and it will be like the 360/PS3 versions. It will most likely support Gamepad stats and possibly run at 720p upconverted to 1080p.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@DarkEdi There are still quite a few Wii owners out there and so I see possibly another Skylanders, Infinity, or Just Dance game releases but outside of those there really shouldn't be anything. It would be interesting if Nintendo chose to release another Mario or big first party title on the system as there are so many Wii owners out there.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@SahashraLA Sorry your work conditions are deplorable, but there are quite a few gamers that appreciate knowing more about the Skylanders games and series. It does make me wonder why you bothered writing up your message at all if you don't care for Skylanders.

Bizzyb

Bizzyb said:

@SahashraLA but tell us how you REALLY feel.
Seriously though I'm having a hard time deciding if you are being serious or joking.

Jetset

Jetset said:

@bmprsvz777 Disney Interactive Studios seems to ignore the Wii's large install base even though they are releasing Disney Infinity 2.0 Edition: Marvel Super Heroes on Xbox 360 and PS3. It won't be released for Wii. I'd like to know their logic in this as I would suspect that Disney Infinity was a popular game for Wii. If Disney Interactive Studios is cutting out one of the last gen consoles cut out the other two as well...