Turtle Tale Slowly Moves Closer to the eShop on 3DS and Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Turtle power

There's some 2D platforming action getting closer to both the 3DS and Wii U eShop; those that want to be a heroic water gun-wielding turtle will soon be able to fulfil that fantasy in Turtle Tale. Announced last year and taking its cue from action platformers of the NES and SNES era, it's the work of Saturnine Games — the studio is making the leap from DSiWare, for which it produced Antipole and Cosmos X2.

The studio's Edward Di Geronimo Jr. has been in touch to provide an update on both versions. The 3DS version has been approved by Nintendo of America with the developer required to "wrap up a few more things" before confirming a release date, while the process with Nintendo of Europe is a little further back but approaching approval. The Wii U version, meanwhile, "is pretty far along" and the studio's target is to submit to Nintendo by the end of April.

Three new screenshots have been produced of the Wii U version, which you can see below. Were you a fan of Saturnine Games' previous work on DSiWare, and are you looking forward to the imminent arrival of Turtle Tale?

Related Games

maceng

maceng said:

Sorry, but this looks awful!! I've seen Flash games with much better graphics!!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

An action platformer could be almost anything. (First thing I thought of reading that was something like Ninja Gaiden or Strider).

WalupeachyTime

WalupeachyTime said:

This reminds me of those Xbox Indie titles with rushed development. It certainly looks that way. However, since I haven't seen any gameplay yet, I won't judge it too much. For all we know it could be quite good.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

I'm surprised there's no turtle pun used in the title, why is there no turtle pun in the title? :(

JustinH

JustinH said:

I'm glad these phone guys want to port their games to Wii U but I'm getting a little tired of the flash graphics. Take a look at what's on the system and ask yourself if your game is really meeting that visual standard.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

I'm really insulted by people who are saying Armillo looks like a flash game when there's stuff like this hitting the eShop. Goodness.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

It definitely doesn't look like much, but these guys made Antipole...a strong contender for the best DSiWare title period. My eye is on this one.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Someone posted a link in the forum yesterday that has details of all the 240 indie games supposedly coming to Wii U,some look great but this looks up there with the worst of them.Maybe it plays better than it looks.....like Leigh Griffiths for Celtic ;)

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Definitely the screenshots are not inviting, but never judge a book from its cover. With tight controls and clever level design this could even result to be a must have despite the apperence.
Considering the develloper did something good in the past they totally deserve some credit; it will be interesting to read NL review when it will come out ^_^

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Hey, cut them some slack! I have no doubts that this will improve drastically, thir previous two games (Antipole and Cosmos X2) look great, Especially for DSi Ware!

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

I'm sure this'll turn out great, from their past DSiWare record, but at the moment, it just looks... dead!
You can make a game as cartoony as possible, but it needs to have a soul! (Are you listening, New Super Mario Bros.?)

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

pretty impressive considering it was done on basic Microsoft paint by a 5 year old. ;)
Nintendo really dropped the ball on quality control, because this is the worst indie dribble(not of the double dribble variety) I've ever seen. lol
Apple Phoned and they want their I-phone game back. ;)

the_truth

the_truth said:

It is an amazing oversight that there is no mention in the article of how eye-meltingly terrible these screenshots truly are.

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Antipole was a pretty good platformer, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Here's to hoping the majority of the time developing this game went into level design rather than graphics...

maceng

maceng said:

I'll give them some credit because I found Cosmos X2 to be quite enjoyable, albeit with very limited graphics that somehow where simpler than this, but looked a lot better. I couldn't get around to plat Antipole, bu t I heard nothing but good stuff about it. Still, at least the color palette for these graphics should be revised!!

odd69

odd69 said:

Looks fine to me, i think some people should wear glasses. I would totally buy it if it played decent.

Oh yea crisp hd graphics are bad, wow...just wow....