Super Smash Bros. Will Run At A Silky-Smooth 60 Frames Per Second On 3DS, Even In 3D

Posted by Jowi Meli

Smooth like buttah

During today's illuminating Nintendo Direct, Masahiro Sakurai revealed that Super Smash Bros. for 3DS will run at a super-smooth 60 frames per second. Amazingly, this technical feat will be possible even if users are playing in 3D mode — a problem in other games, perhaps most notably the battle sections of Pokémon X and Y, where enabling 3D caused the frame rate to drop considerably.

Sakurai was quick to mention how difficult it is to get a game like Smash Bros., which features a ton of movement onscreen at once, to run at a consistently high frame rate. In order to do this, the producer explained that some elements — specifically, some of the Pokémon and assist trophies — will run at 30fps, allowing the movement of the fighters to remain free-flowing and unhindered. Looking at the footage in the Direct, this is hardly noticeable; the game looks absolutely incredible in motion.

Are you surprised that Sakurai and the team at Namco Bandai were able to pull off such a feat? Does this make you even more excited for the high-speed fighting action of Super Smash Bros. on a portable? Sound off in the comments!

[via youtube.com]

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

I am super excited for this! I loved the super smooth animations in A Link Between Worlds and I'll be looking forward to seeing this game in person at 60 fps for the characters.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I have to admit for a handheld that is very impressive considering how frantic the action can be. I am very curious to see how it looks in 3D, and judging from Nintendo's other games it will look superb!

Kirk

Kirk said:

This is one of the things Nintendo has actually gotten right in the last couple of gens; getting most of their games to run at a solid 60fps.

Respect where it's due.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

At this point, Nintendo has more games running at 60 fps natively than PS4/Xbone games! Great technical achievement has been done with this. Even with 3D mode, oh my!

JCnator

JCnator said:

I find it hilarious to see any assist character running at 30fps while the rest of the game is running at 60fps. Totally surprised me that they've managed to keep the action very smooth for the most part.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

This is pretty impressive and I imagine it would be necessary for Smash Bros. 3DS to have this considering all the fast-paced action on a small screen.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

What effects does the streaming technology used have though. If the whole thing is capped at 30 anyway it wouldn't be noticeable. Be much easier to just download an mp4 to remove all those type of issues. (At least you can see the frame rate in e.g VLC).

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

This makes me more excited for the 3ds version. Thank You for all your hard work Sakurai-Sama XD ありがとうございます。:3

Also, are trophies confirmed for the 3ds title?

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

The 3ds is accomplishing is a native 60 FPS this gen. Unbelievable to the home console competitors. The game looks incredible on the 3ds, as well the Wii U but... There's nothing topping MK8 on the Wii U graphically.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I knew Sakurai would have SSB4 run in 60 FPS in full 3D the moment games like Super Street Fighter IV had to go to 30 FPS. It any developer could do it, Sakurai could.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

SSB 4 running at 60 FPS looked pretty sweet for the 3DS version. Although, it was weird to see Assist Trophies running at 30 FPS but ah well, the game looks great anyways. All in all, I can't wait for this game in the summer. Sakurai did a real good job imo with everything he showed off. ;)

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

@noctowl i most certainly can. I don't consider myself hardcore. Its just easily and noticably smoother. Strange that you guys cant see it actually... Here's a good way to tell. Last gen anyways: play Metroid Prime and then play Halo (campaign mode) if you can't see the difference... time for some glasses.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

Nintendo is the king of optimization for their own hardware. The technical stuff they pull off with the 3ds is just flat out impressive.

brewsky

brewsky said:

@noctowl A lot of people can. Compare 3D Land to 3D World and then try to tell me that you can't tell a difference.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@noctowl I can tell a huge difference. Compare Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii with the 3DS version, and it's instantly noticeable.

Or better yet, compare the Xbox 360 version of Splinter Cell Double Agent with the PS3 version. Big difference.

rylo151

rylo151 said:

shows how much effort gamefreak put into optimising their simple battle scenes, when this can run at 60 fps consistently in 3d, even if it was at 30 fps it would still be better.

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

That's pretty cool, and makes X and Y look even more embarrassing. Go into battle with two flying types (Moltres is the worst, it has to render both flying and fire animations) and the framerate struggles even in standard 2D, 3D is a complete mess. That a turn based game failed where a fighting game succeeds so fantastically is... well, as I said, embarrassing.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I was super surprised at this announcement. The 3DS is powerful, but it's by no means a power house...and for them to pull this off is a feat in itself. Even more happy to own the game now!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Doing what Pokemon X/Y couldn't accomplish.

Heck, X/Y didn't have 3D in the overworld and the 3D (which I used anyway because 3D) lagged battles. I know they were rushing it out for the worldwide release date buy how was it optimized so poorly?

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I have DOAD and the drop when going from 2D to 3D is very noticeable, while I tend not to care about technical trivas this is welcome to hear about!

Lan

Lan said:

@noctowl Yeah...not in the least. There is a very tangible difference in the look AND feel of playing a game at 60 fps vs 30.