Sonic Lost World Producer Takashi Iizuka Wanted To "Aim For The Unexpected" With Zelda And Yoshi DLC

Posted by Damien McFerran

"I want to make more, rather than just simply one zone"

Wii U title Sonic Lost World was recently given some DLC-love with special Yoshi and Zelda-themed levels, and producer Takashi Iizuka has been speaking to 4gamer about how this collaboration came to be — and why Sonic won't be teaming up with former rival Mario in any future downloadable content for the game.

Iizuka says that the Nintendo-exclusive nature of the title inspired him to aim for something unique with the DLC, rather than taking the easy option and putting Mario into the game:

Sonic Lost World is a title that only released on Nintendo hardware, which is an opportunity that I couldn’t believe, collaborating together. This time, the appearance is interesting, as combining Sonic into such a world is extremely foreign, and I wanted to aim at the unexpected.

Iizuka explains that each stage took around three months to complete, and that the experience of creating the Zelda Zone has given him the appetite for more content:

In normal production, the hardest part is building up the base of the game. Stages can normally be changed simply by variations, but this time, it was shaped to be a different experience on each stage [of the DLC], which is why it took so long to complete. It’s easy for Yoshi to be in Sonic Lost World, but the music, sound, and soundtrack of “The Legend of Zelda” made the development all the more entertaining and fun. I now feel like I want to make more, rather than just simply one zone. (Laughs)

What did you think of the Zelda and Yoshi zones? Would you be keen to see more in the future? Let us know with a comment.

[via nintendoeverything.com, 4gamer.net]

MAB

MAB said:

Keep making these and I will just have to keep downloading them ;)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Even if it was obvious and made too much sense, It's too bad there won't be a Mario Zone.

ddbangsy

ddbangsy said:

A big yes please to more content. Great news! :)
I've been putting many hours back into this fun game recently. Very underrated.

Artwark

Artwark said:

@ddbangsy If they didn't put sonic in it but made someone else playable like Mighty, Knuckles or Tails, the game would have done really well at the very least.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Best Sonic game ever. I truly don't get the meh reviews it got. Maybe people didn't play around with the controls as much and discover how much depth there is? In any case, the DLC has been awesome. The Zelda Zone in particular has given me hope that they could actually pull off a successful Sonic Adventure game.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I've downloaded the DLC, but haven't tried it yet. So glad Sega is still supporting this game, and with FREE dlc too! Hope more comes, as someone already said, in the form of a Kirby zone.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

I don't enjoy Sonic games, but even still I love everything about this idea. Not only is it really clever DLC, but it's free. Sega is really doing justice to the fans of this game.

Ryno

Ryno said:

I want an Urban Champion zone but they could probably charge $29.99 for that DLC!

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I'd like a Sonic game with the level of quality seen in the DLC. Is that too much to ask for SEGA?

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@AlexSora89 At first I didn't see it. But after a couple minutes I realized that, thanks to Sonic's speed, an F-Zero Zone would be awesome! I also like the idea of a Metroid Zone.

Squid

Squid said:

Wii Fit Zone! Really burn off those calories by jogging at the speed of sound!

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

"There has been much mix and collaboration of Mario and Sonic in the “Mario & Sonic” series, and they have parts that resemble both games. There was also the idea that the combination of the two might not be that interesting to the audience."

"There was also the idea that the combination of the two might not be that interesting to the audience."

"The combination of the two might not be that interesting"

SEGA!! DO YOU NOT REALIZE HOW AMAZING A PROPER MARIO AND SONIC CROSSOVER WOULD BE?!?!?!?

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Then make Sonic Adventure 3 already!!! With generations game play with Shadow, Blaze, and Silver playable in an open world with Eggman Nega as a villian!! IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO COME UP WITH AN IDEA LIKE THAT! Or just let the Sonic Comic writers make Sonic Adventure 3 they use the Sonic franchise better than you Sanic Team and they even make the stories dark just look at the current Sonic Universe arc. T_T

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

Yes, I want more, but with different franchises (DK, Metroid, Kirby, StarFox, F-Zero)

Nomad

Nomad said:

I thought both DLC stages where great, better then some of the regular ones. I really hope they do make more DLC stages like these.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

I know the main game is a bad homing attack filled game, but how about these free dlcs? Are these worth enough to buy the game? The cheapest I've seen this go is 29.95€?