Rumour: Mario Golf: World Tour To Offer Additional Courses As Paid DLC

Posted by Lewis Childs

Those little birdies at Amazon…

With the release of Mario Golf: World Tour being just a few weeks away, a rather juicy rumour has begun to circulate around the internet. These have taken the form of an apparent eShop description that could not be verified by us in either region's store, but we've since found that Amazon.com’s listing for Mario Golf: World Tour suggests that additional courses for the title could potentially be offered in the form of paid DLC. The quote from Amazon's description can be seen below:

Discover additional paid downloadable courses and participate in special trial tournaments.

Nintendo has been dipping its toes gently into the world of paid DLC in recent times, with examples such as Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Bros. 2 offering additional stages in exchange for hard earned coins, as well as the New Super Luigi U expansion for New Super Mario Bros. U. With that in mind, the potential of paid DLC being used to expand Mario Golf: World Tour’s selection of courses doesn't seem totally out of the question.

Hopefully Nintendo will issue details regarding this in the coming days, to confirm and clarify details if correct.

Are you excited about Mario Golf: World Tour and would you be willing to pay for additional courses? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via amazon.com]

xInsomniax

xInsomniax said:

I'm honestly perfectly ok with this. Nintendo needs to experiment more with DLC. Pikmin 3 is a great example of how they were doing it correctly.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Nintendo DLC is great because we know they have said they don't believe in skimping on the initial offering. I'll buy all DLC here.

divinelite

divinelite said:

This will be the first nintendo day one dlc that the world has come to hate if its true...

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Yeah, I'm cool with this. Nintendo's been doing great with DLC, keeping them worth the content and price tag, and Fire Emblem Awakening is one example I can think of. Maybe we'll get some courses, inspired off of the Wii Sports Golf games?

Bizzyb

Bizzyb said:

yeah, this is sounding like day 1 dlc....really hope that's not the case. Either way I'm looking forward to this game

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

@Bizzyb Nintendo's not one to make day 1 DLC as far as I know, so I don't think so.
What I do think they'll make is challenging DLC courses, because that seems to be a theme towards their DLC.

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

Yay! :3 I love when Nintendo does DLC. I have a feeling I'll be spending many hours playing this game :3 I was pretty much addicted to Family Tour as a child :p Mario Sports Games are the only sports games I've ever liked. Though I did play NBA Jam on a friend's Genesis once a little while back, and that was really fun :p Boom Shaka-Lacka!!~!(^O^☆♪

justinluey

justinluey said:

@takemeunder Why does DLC for a Mario sports game upset you? If the game is good, how can additional content be bad?

I'm all for Nintendo doing DLC, because they don't water down or hold back from the original release.

I loved getting the free extra courses for Wii Sports Club, and will gladly pay for more courses.

PreyingShark

PreyingShark said:

No April Fools here. At about 1 PM CDT today that "Discover additional paid downloadable courses and participate in special trial tournaments" sentence was on the eShop. It has since been removed, which is why they couldn't verify it.

AkDeath

AkDeath said:

Not a fan of this, just seems like a way to milk more money out of a game. If the game turns out to be awesome and has a ton of content then I'll be more open to the idea, but this sounds like a cash-grab to me.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I wouldn't mind it for Mario Kart. Offer every stage in series history and buy individual courses or a 4 pack cup. Same thing for Mario Party boards and minigames.

Leonn

Leonn said:

I'm not a golfer, golf watcher, or golf fan, I find it to be quite boring. But maybe I'll get it, Mario sport games rarely disappoint, dlc would work for this game, definitely.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Why all the hate towards DLC ? Yeah, im aware that 95% of DLC content is basicly fraud like on Disc unlockables, content that should be part of a retail game and so forth.
But honestly, what nintendo is offering is mostly quality stuff. If they think that they could implement more courses over time, without delaying the game, im more than happy to except them as DLC content.
In my opinion, there is nothing better than further updating a game with meaningfull content to keep it "fresh" for longer,
Many games suffered from deadlines in the past. There is nothing worse than constantly delaying a game. So, why not pack the game as full as possible, release it, watch customer reactions and add in content they miss or that would suit the game afterwards, when the release date pressure is liftet ? Characters, Stages, MOdes for Smash Bros, Karts, Tracks, Drivers for Mario Kart, stuff like that can really lengthen playability and keep a game interesting for longer periods of time.
Sure, day one DLC can also kiss my behind, but DLC after a month or two that gives me reason to go back to a title is always welcome,
For an appropriate content/price ratio of course.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I cannot believe the naivety of the comments praising DLC. I'm very disappointed in Nintendo.

If Mario Kart has DLC I'll be very annoyed. I wanna pay once and get a finished game thanks.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I am not a fan of DLC. (Other than if I can get it via a GOTY edition which Nintendo doesn't do). Looks like I will wait until it is dirt cheap to get Mario Golf however long it takes. (I suspect it will be at the same sort of price as Tennis Open is now at some point).

Chris77

Chris77 said:

So long as its a full release and not just a gimped couple of courses so you feel you have to buy the DLC content then its good. Pikmin is a good example of DLC done right. I'm also hoping that MK8 has downloadable courses at some point. 32 courses in the original game, and then download retro courses etc.

Windy

Windy said:

@Falco I agree with you. I'm going to pass now on Mario Golf. To buy a retail game and then have to pay for additional content. it just feels like you got shorted somewhere. 39.99 + more for additional content. its the way gaming is headed. not just Nintendo. its either climb aboard or jump ship.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

People have issues with dlc because it means its useless in 7 years and when they go back to play a game retro style that content isnt in the disc. Wouldnt want a memory you can no longer revisit

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

If the total number of courses available end up being the same as previous entries then I'll be annoyed.

DadOfFour1972

DadOfFour1972 said:

Not a huge fan of DLC generally BUT as long as the initial game doesn't deliberately skimp in order to "force" you to purchase then why not? Hopefully the new courses would integrate into the career mode ( in the same way as new tracks on Forza 5 integrate ) rather than only being available in "quick play".
Bet Nintendo started the rumor to gauge response :)

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

@Einherjar
Because DLC by its very nature quickly dissolves into nickle and diming and pay for convenience. A publisher wants to release new, worthwhile content for their game? Fantastic. But that's what expansions are for.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

Great news! Nintendo never reduces the amount of content in a game to offer it as DLC and I don't think ever will. Therefore as long as the game lives up to my expectations then I'll purchase all DLC, provided it is reasonably priced. And no, Nintendo won't release this DLC day 1. And even if they did, who cares? If you don't want it, don't buy it!

MysticX

MysticX said:

Not sure if doing paid DLC is such a good idea really, the big advantage that 3DS games have over phone games for me is the "You pay once and have the full game"-thing, and starting with paid DLC is going down a rather shady path.

3DS games cost plenty as it is, last thing i want then is having to get nickle-and-dimed after that...

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

What a bunch of whiny babies!

No one is holding a gun to your head and telling you that you must purchase an extra course or track for Mario Golf/MK8 several months after they release. Its totally optional, and you can enjoy the game with or without it!

The last COD game I owned had several DLC releases, I didn't buy a single one, yet still got hundreds of hours of fun out of it playing online and didn't feel 'ripped off' at all.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Great news! I have no problem at all with paid-DLC... I do however have an issue with "DAY ONE DLC" that should come out with these games that offer it. But in this case, I'll be buying the game and the courses.

Doma

Doma said:

The best way to devalue your game before it even releases. Well done, Nintendo.

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

For those who are hating on DLC simply because it's DLC, you're really ignorant. Nintendo never has and never will sell an incomplete game. When they make DLC, it's solely as an addition to the established content and is NOT required to complete the game. It does what it's supposed to do: extend the playability of the game. Please inform yourselves before blindly hating something first.

LunaticPandora

LunaticPandora said:

@Dreamz Yeah because Sims-style expansion releases are totally viable on 3DS. Sorry, but no. You either get digital DLC, or you get nothing and you're left with a half-baked game with no content like Mario Kart 7.

@Doma Oh just shut your mouth. They're devaluing nothing, and no Nintendo game has been "devalued" by DLC, ever.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Hopefully Mario Kart 8 gets some DLC courses after the initial 32. As long as I get a full game first, DLC is just icing on the cake.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Guitardude7 The NSMB2 DLC should have been in the game. (With that there is about as many levels as Mario World had which is fair modern fake type cartridge like the 3DS uses is cheaper than the SNES cartridge was). The price with the DLC is 1.5 times that of Mario World.

The changes they made to Fire Emblem to accommodate the DLC spoilt the game.

Super Luigi U was fair enough that is the only one I can think of and lets not forget everybody other than Nintendo does GoTY editions. (Only ones I ever really get).

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Dreamz You know the difference between "Expansion Packs" and "Download Content" ? The former couldnt be names DLC because at the time, there was barely any internet to download it from.
Other than that, its the exact same. Its additional content for an already released game.
You have to blame developers and publishers for ruining it, not the concept itself. By your logic, the disc version of New Super Luigi U would be considered an expansion pack and therefore ok, the download is considered DLC an dtherefore bad.

DLC by itself is an awesome concept. Its the dev who is to blame if he abuses it. And just hating on DLC in general, the concept of it while neglecting all the positive examples is just wrong.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Einherjar If DLC for cartridge based games was stored on the cartridge I would like it better. It can be given away which I do quite frequently. (Never trade stuff in and almost always buy new).

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Pitty it's not on wii u with online multi player mario golf was amazing on gamecube so much fun.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@unrandomsam Well, that wouldnt be possible out of at least 2 reasons:
First, like you said, its a major copyprotection flaw. You could get all content by accident when buying a used game.
Also, It would rule out last minute DLC ideas, since the cartridge itself needs appropriate storage space. Building in too much and not using it would be cosntly, building in to few would end up preventing the contents release alltogether.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Einherjar Its not by accident it has been paid for. (Same as the cartridge itself). Being able to transfer ownership is an important part of owning something at all.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Ah ha, the usual Nintendo fan boy hypocrisy rears it's head again. They hate when anyone else does paid DLC, but with Nintendo it's fine.

I'm looking forward to the game, but I'll look out for reviews to see if they feel like content was held back purposefully to be sold as DLC. Most people looking objectively can see Nintendo like to nickel and dime customers just as much, if not more than the others (higher prices for downloads of old games, and making you buy them again for each device), so it's a bit of a concern, but only a small one.

LunaticPandora

LunaticPandora said:

@Peach64 "but I'll look out for reviews to see if they feel like content was held back purposefully to be sold as DLC."

Was that the case in any other Nintendo game that has DLC? No, it wasn't, so stop acting like it's going to be different this time around, because it won't.

namblagambla

namblagambla said:

Nintendo DLC content is fine, the issue is that they have no account system. If I buy extra courses, I want to be able to play them across more than one 3DS system (not simultaneously).

Doma

Doma said:

@LunaticPandora Any rational person will notice that it's too soon to be promoting 'additional paid courses' when the game has yet to be released. I already doubt the base game will be worth its £30+ retail price tag (i'm guessing it will match your description of MK7...). So yes, advertising this to me now has devalued it.

Haywired

Haywired said:

@Peach64
Yeah, there is a bit of hypocrisy when it comes to DLC. I remember a few years ago, when everyone was doing DLC and Nintendo had yet to, Nintendo fans of course saw this as a prime opportunity to take the moral high ground and were all like "DLC is terrible. Totally indicative of modern gaming and greedy companies. Nintendo would never do DLC because they're better than that." Then Nintendo started doing DLC... So they desperately had to scramble around for a new moral high ground (because they can't just, ya know, let it go...) and that became "Nintendo does DLC right" and that "Nintendo would never release something as DLC that they could've put in the actual game" (though without working at Nintendo I'm not sure how they could possibly know that).

LunaticPandora

LunaticPandora said:

@Doma How about you just get over it. They've hardly announced a season pass, have they? And they have announced the PROMISE of DLC, as in additional content after release. There is not a single course available as DLC the day the game comes out as far as we know.

PreyingShark

PreyingShark said:

For the record, some sites have had review copies of the game for a couple weeks now. This means that development of content for release was probably wrapped up a couple months ago, if not earlier. If they put the staff they didn't need for bug-fixing onto developing DLC courses the moment they finished developing actual content then it's feasible to have at least one DLC course come out soon after release without having affected the development of the core game.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

Day one DLC, welcome to modern gaming, Nintendo! I've been eagerly awaiting the moment Nintendo would start giving me part of a game for full price and charging me more for the rest of it! Yay!

Towelie

Towelie said:

And with this news, my interest goes from "probably will pick up" to "absolutely no interest"

TheRedX

TheRedX said:

yes AND yes. take my $$$$$. I paid for 4 years of courses w/ Tiger and I cannot WAIT to destroy this game therefore any and all DLC will be insta-purchased.

Henmii

Henmii said:

As long as it won't be overpriced. But you know Nintendo: It WILL be overpriced!