Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Thirty Four

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Greninja! Gerudo Valley! Smash Run! More!

It's a Holiday Monday, but Super Smash Bros. development never rests (we assume). We're also not going to let anything like a pesky holiday get in the way of our regular Miiverse summary, either.

Last week wasn't quite as amazing as the week before for one simple reason — it didn't have a new Nintendo Direct. We'll forgive Masahiro Sakurai for that, however, as he did keep up his normal posts on the Director's Room Miiverse community, even giving precedence to the 3DS version; that makes sense as it's arriving first, after all. This week we have a closer look at Smash Run, a final destination version of a particularly nifty looking stage, a double dose on 14th April and more.

Let's get to it, then. You can see last week's Miiverse community screens below, and you can click on the date heading to visit the posts in question and give them a Yeah.

14th April

The side special attack Shadow Sneak is a move that makes Greninja suddenly disappear and ambush opponents. If you press and hold the button, Greninja will move a greater distance. Another unique feature is you can move Greninja around freely while charging up.

15th April

You can make most stages turn into a final destination. Depending on the stage, it might be floating in midair or perched on a cliff.

16th April

17th April

18th April

Some interesting details and screens this week, especially for 3DS fans. Let us know which are your favourites in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (299 votes)

Greninja shows its deadly posing ability

11%

Charizard is baffled by Greninja's Shadow Sneak

15%

Link and Sheik face off in Gerudo Valley's final destination

15%

Zero Suit Samus and Wii Fit Trainer work on some exercises

28%

DK's got a little bit more than he can handle in Smash Run

Diddy Kong and Yoshi compete for Isabelle's affections

17%

Um, I can't decide

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

HeroOfTime32

HeroOfTime32 said:

Yeah first vote! The Isabelle one for sure...hints at more possible differences b/w the wiiu and 3ds versions

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Wow Greninga is the real baddonkey in this next Smash, unless if a certain black hedgehog gets added....

ChewyTurtle

ChewyTurtle said:

I'm so excited for this game! The Wii U version of course looks great, but I'm more and more impressed by the 3DS screens lately. It looks great!

marko

marko said:

damn you nintendo I really didn't want to buy a 3DS but now this makes it very difficult...

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

I'm so happy that the 3ds version is coming so soon! Link vs Zelda on final destination looks epic.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@WillhamBoyGeniu Same "types". I'm guessing that means that there may be an equal number of "groupings" of assist trophies like background attackers, restricted area attackers, random effects, etc.

However, there could be more total assist trophies in the Wii U version.

Rintyrocks

Rintyrocks said:

Wow, after playing Pokemon Y, my view of Greninja has improved greatly and I might have to main him.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Samus of course! (was there ever any doubt?)

@GougeMan The game will be out on 3DS way before so i dont know if you have theory will hold up. We'll see if Nintendo's (unnecessary) gamble will turn out well!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for Smash Run again. It's a wonder DK's not smacking a Kremling to his right. I wonder why Sakurai hasn't mentioned them yet? Hmmm...

Captain-Falcon

Captain-Falcon said:

Went for the big booty, on a different topic, why do people want Shadow, i always thought he was annoying and unlikable, if any other sonic stuff was to be in i'd say Chao as an assist Trophy.

Then again, I find most Sonic characters annoying.

Weedy

Weedy said:

@FilmerNgameR @Captain-Falcon
I can see Shadow being in there as a simple palette swap for Sonic. It's confirmed that they're prepared to do 'over the top' palette swaps since we've now seen Male Wii Fit Trainer and Wire Frame Little Mac.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Samus. Always Samus.

@Captain-Falcon i heard someone say they want music from the tv show "glee" in the game. Some people just don't have anything going on upstairs. "I like something so it needs to be in smash" is just some peoples mentality.

Aceboss100

Aceboss100 said:

I am so ready for this game. I already paid in full both versions of the game. C'mon summer!

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

Who wants to play Smash Bros. on a 3 inch screen and with a circle pad? The 3DS version shouldn't even exist. I feel bad for people who are only getting that version.

Not only that, it looks like Brawl 2.0, and the way the 3DS' layout is set-up could lead to cluncky, disjointed controls.

Smash was clearly meant to be played on a console. The 3DS version is clearly a watered-down version of the Wii U version. Hopefully I will be proven wrong this summer.

Also, there's a lot of all-seeing eyes in the 5th screenshot...

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

"Zero Suit Samus and Wii Fit Trainer work on some exercises" has the most votes so far.

Not surprised.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

@Weedy I just want to chaos blast, chaos control, and chaos spear against other Nintendo characters in sweet HD and 3D, man. That would be so awesome I just don't get how people see Shadow as a simple reskin if they're so completely different in move sets. T_T

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

How did I know that the 'update' that showed absolutely nothing new or interesting (Samus and WFT) would have the most votes here?

GougeMan

GougeMan said:

@whodatninja True... That's not going to help things for the Wii U, but hopefully N will get some extra sales out of it. I still think giving away 100 free NES/SNES downloads with every Wii U purchase would boost sales immediately. They are just sitting on the Rom files. It would cost N absolutely nothing and they would sell a lot of machines.

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

Greninja looks like a beast XD I prefer the faster, trickier to control, characters as opposed to the really attack power orientied ones :3 my play style takes advantage of speed and tactics more I guess.

And lol, I already knew Samus would be top vote before looking at the results Xp

noctowl

noctowl said:

@SockoMario raises hand I def want it on a handheld. Yeah, it's the appetizer before the main course but if I can get a few rounds in on the go then I'm going to take that chance.

@FilmerNgameR he is annoying, and not as popular as his fans like to believe. Tails, Knuckles, and probably Amy has more of a fan base.

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

hmmm samus still looks really over sexualized. Yoshi looks so cute and bubbly though I definitely going to try and make him my main!

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

How is Shadow annoying if he hasn't been important in a Sonic game for a long time? That's just hating, man so you deserve this friendly gif. XD
@noctowl Untitled